Buildings Insurance

Raindancer

I have just been on line to an insurance agent to try and obtain a quote for personal possessions within the house I am renting. Firstly I have been told that they do not provide a "New for old" policy.

Secondly I have been told that I should also make sure that the house i am renting should be insured under building insurance by the owner. Because If it is not insured, then I am responsible for any damage occasioned to the house by fire earth quakes etc whilst I occupy the house as the tenant.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

From an old post :

To clarify the misunderstands.

The 'renter' is liable for all damage to the owner for the property they rent.

This includes not just the contents i.e. anything from fixtures to soft furnishings but also the building !

We would also suggest that even if the lease states the owner is responsible for all damage should anything happen, the lessor will in the real world still be held accountable unless there insurance cover in place.

Insurance is the only prudent way to cover oneself and a simple request to the owner for a copy of the policy will show you what is or is not covered.

If there is no insurance, an "All Risks" property insurance is not expensive and adds very little to the 'rent' over a period of a year.

Thai Visa Insurance also offers tailor made property insurance to the Owners to cover not just the property but also 'Tenant Liability' – please contact TV Insurance for more details.

<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

My old U.S. insurer provides me with Renter's Insurance covering all my household assets here in Thailand. I was very candid and specific about what I would have here when I moved, and the policy covers it.

Is it more expensive that what a local policy would cost? I have no idea, I have never checked, probably never will.

Your mileage may vary.

Thank you all for your input. I am now waiting for several quotes from various agencies.

Thank you

Take care ! Two things to remember, use a Broker (same cost as going direct but you are better protected) and make sure they speak English and explain what you are coverd for :)