Renewing Driving License

Foxman888

Hello,

My 1 year driving Thai License expired in August, i have been out of Thailand since July and have just returned after working back in the UK, i would be grateful if someone could give me clarification on the renewal procedure:

As my license has already expired can i get the 5 year one, or will i have to get another 1 year license? (Seen some conflicting info on this).

Last time i went to the British consulate to provide a letter to state where i was living, as this is 18 months old i think i need to get a more up to date one. I believe i can get one from immigration for 500 baht, but the only supporting documentation i have is my Thai bank account book. I live with my girlfriend and so nothing is in my name, is the bank book sufficient for immigration?

Thank you :jap:

Hello, Foxman.

For myself I have always found it best to contact the office of whatever I was trying to do. You can get ideas and advice from the internet, however, the office obviously has the final say of what they do.

This is a Google translation of the Chiang Mai office of the Department of Land Transport, Drivers License division, To Obtain a Drivers License. I would suggest going in to the office and asking them what to do. They have always been very helpful to me.

The Immigration web site also has a downloadable residence certificate application for drivers license purposes. You can try taking your g/f with you and she may be able to vouch for your residence. I have seen people post that they needed lease agreements, owners vouching, and other things that have worked. Ultimately, it is up to the officers if they will sign the letter or not. The letter itself seems to be prepared by young aides working in immigration.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a downloadable medical certificate. Most doctore that would do the examination would have the form in thier office or clinic.

Good luck!

MSPain

Application for private car driving license.pdf

Edited by hml367

Foxman,

This is the form for the residence letter from Immigration.

MSPain

PS. regarding the medical certificate:

"A doctor's certificate stating that the applicant is in good health, both physically and mentally (standard forms are available from most clinics and should not be more than 30 days old)"

res_cert.pdf

Edited by hml367

You can renew your license if it is less than one year expired. You need a house paper to prove where you live and a medical certificate less than 30 days old. You do NOT need proof of residency from your embassy or consulate. It has changed several times in the years I have been here but you MAY need either a retirement visa or a valid work permit.

You can renew your license if it is less than one year expired. You need a house paper to prove where you live and a medical certificate less than 30 days old. You do NOT need proof of residency from your embassy or consulate. It has changed several times in the years I have been here but you MAY need either a retirement visa or a valid work permit.

If visa that you apply on is a tourist or Multi O they well only issue you a year DL.

GIad someone has mentioned this, as been meaning to ask. I have had to temporariIy go on a tourist visa. My Thai Iicence expires soon. Do you recon there wiII there be any issues with the visa im on?

If no probs, can i just doubIe check that i need:

HeaIth cert

Iease/proof of address

Thats it?

Thanks.!

GIad someone has mentioned this, as been meaning to ask. I have had to temporariIy go on a tourist visa. My Thai Iicence expires soon. Do you recon there wiII there be any issues with the visa im on?

If no probs, can i just doubIe check that i need:

HeaIth cert

Iease/proof of address

Thats it?

Thanks.!

From my experience eek they will only issue you another 1 year DL if your on a tourist visa. Let us know how it goes.

<br />You can renew your license if it is less than one year expired. You need a house paper to prove where you live and a medical certificate less than 30 days old. You do NOT need proof of residency from your embassy or consulate. It has changed several times in the years I have been here but you MAY need either a retirement visa or a valid work permit.

I did my renewal one and a half months ago. I called the Dep of Land Transport in CM and asked in advance. They listed these things as required:

1. Proof of residence from consulate, OR a valid work permit. (i.e. if you have one you do not require the other). I don't know about retirement visa as I never asked.

2. Medical certificate (just state the correct purpose at any hospital).

3. Photo copies of passport photo page, visa page and latest entry stamp page in passport. (The person who recieved my call actually did not mention a copy of the visa and stamp pages were necessary, but when I got there they asked for it, so come prepared). The photo copying service on the premises closes in mid afternoon.

On a Non-O Multiple I got 5 years. Interesting to hear that others seem to have only got 1 year.

Good thread. I will need to renew my five year DL soon. Not having to get a "Residence Certificate" is great. Just for comparrison, when my one year DL expired -and I applied for a five year DL in BKK- I did not need a medical certficate. But I needed a RC from my embassy :)

Just got back from the Dept of Land and Transport in CM and also Immigration.

They confirmed that i could get a 5 year license on a Non Imm Multi O Visa, they also asked for the Doctors Certificate which i will get tomorrow.

Then went to Immigration near the airport, and they needed passport, departure card, copy of photo page of passport and copy of visa page. My girlfriend then photocopied her ID card and signed that i was staying with her on it.

Took about 20 minutes, another thing i was unaware of was that the certificate of residency is only valid for 30 days, whereas from the British Consulate it is valid for 6 months, however the price difference between the two is 1500 baht. Can't think of another reason i will need the certificate of residency so 500 baht from Immigration was the route i took!

Sorry Eek, i forgot to ask about what happens on a tourist visa, i am going to do the license tomorrow so will ask and let you know.

Thanks again everyone :jap:

When I renewed my 1 year licence that had expired by just over 11 months, it was replaced by a 5 year one. I apologised and explained I didn't realise that I'd only been given a 1 year licence, thought it was 5. She (the nice lady who speaks good English) didn't seem concerned. I might have paid a fine, but it would have been a small one as it all only came to a couple of hundred baht.

meadish sweetball.

re ... On a Non-O Multiple I got 5 years. Interesting to hear that others seem to have only got 1 year.

they obviously knew you are a mod on thai visa ...

no problem for top people like you .. stamp stamp : )

dave2 : )

For clarification between initial 1 year license and the 5 year renewal: a 1 year MUST be extended after expiry to get the first five years, while the following renewal can (apparently) be applied for up to 90 days before expiry, right up to one year after expiry. Car: 500 baht, bike: now 200 baht. They do the new 'Smart' card now too (like a credit), which is an extra 100 baht for each. Photos are now done at PCs right behind main desk (as opposed to out the back), 100 baht. Everyone goes through colour / reaction tests whether on first one or renewal, though renewals only have to sit through one hour of video (separate PCs for farangs) and no practical. Get there for 09:00 (upstairs) and you'll be out around 11 ish.

jackr.

re ... They do the new 'Smart' card now too (like a credit), which is an extra 100 baht for each.

new ? ... do you mean like this nearly three year old licence ? ... or is there another new one ?

just interested ... dave2

Didn't mean to misinform. Apparently I didn't need the residency letter because of my work permit.

You did not misinformed SSS. Thais have to show their ID Card and blue house book for doing this kind of business. We as foreigners must show our passport and as you work permit or certificate of residence from immigration or the embassy/consulate or their house book, yellow or blue. I show my yellow house book for this purpose.

Just got back and have my shiny new 5 year driving licence!!

Got their about 12.45 and was out by 1.15! Had to have a medical certifcate which cost 100 baht (50 baht last year, thats what i call inflation :blink: ).

I must have been lucky as there were not to many people in there.

Eek - I asked about a tourist visa and they said they would only do a 1 year not a 5 year driving licence.

Thanks again everyone for all your help

;)