I No Longer Have The Required 400K

I have been living in Thailand with my Thai wife and 7 year old daughter for the past 7 years. However, following a tough last 12 months I no longer have the required ฿400K in my Thai bank account to qualify for an extension of my Marriage Visa. Can someone please give me some advice and/or let me know what my options are as I can't get any sense out of the Immigration officials. They simply told me that the law is the law and I'll have to leave! My current visa expires on 2nd March 2011.

Edited by RussBKK

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The regulation requires 400,000 Baht in a bank account or 40,000 Baht per month income for a one year extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai. If you also can't meet the income requirement, the Consulae in Kuala Lumpur has been issuing one year, multi entry Non-immigrant "O" Visas if one shows an account of 100,000 Baht.

Here is one example, http://www.thaivisa....70#entry4150270,

Edited by beechguy

The regulation requires 400,000 Baht in a bank account or 40,000 Baht per month income for a one year extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai. If you also can't meet the income requirement, the Consulae in Kuala Lumpur has been issuing one year Non-immigrant "O" Visas if one shows an account of 100,000 Baht.

I assume you mean a Multiple-entry-non-imm-O visa (requiring 90 day border runs.)

The regulation requires 400,000 Baht in a bank account or 40,000 Baht per month income for a one year extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai. If you also can't meet the income requirement, the Consulae in Kuala Lumpur has been issuing one year Non-immigrant "O" Visas if one shows an account of 100,000 Baht.

I assume you mean a Multiple-entry-non-imm-O visa (requiring 90 day border runs.)

Is there another kind of one year Non-immigrant "O" visa? Very well I added multi entry, with the exception of an actual "O-A" entry, far as I know all Non-immigrant Visas allow a entry of 90 days.

You have the option going to Lao and applying for double entry tourist visa that free tell March 31. This will give you 6 months. Then you could apply for a 60 day extension based on marriage. 1900 baht, This can normally only be done one time a year.

You have the option going to Lao and applying for double entry tourist visa that free tell March 31. This will give you 6 months. Then you could apply for a 60 day extension based on marriage. 1900 baht, This can normally only be done one time a year.

Grey area that one.

A friend of mine, to coin a phrase, recently went to extend a stay,on tourist visa, for 60 days as he has a child(he is currently not married to the child's mother.)

Everything went according to plan and he recieved a 60 day extention. The lady behind the desk then said "see you in 60 days".

Shocked he sat back down and asked what she meant. She said that she assumed that he would be back and went on to explain that there is no limit on the amount of 60days you can have.

Bit expensive, 12000ish baht a year, but an option?

Maybe the mods could help us here?

This was all done in Khorat Immigration.

I wil be there soon and will ask.

Is there another kind of one year Non-immigrant "O" visa? Very well I added multi entry, with the exception of an actual "O-A" entry, far as I know all Non-immigrant Visas allow a entry of 90 days.

It was obvious to people who know about Thai visas that you were talking about a multi entry visa, but remember you were trying to advice someone who clearly do not have such deep knowledge. So just calling it a "one year Non-immigrant 'O' visa" could give the OP the wrong idea on how such a visa works and what it would give him. jdinasia was just adding the missing information.

Remember, when you are trying to communicate you should "know your audience". And with matters like visas and extensions it's especially important to be precise and complete in the information you give.

Not trying to lecture you (even though it may come across as such) and no offense intended.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

It was obvious to people who know about Thai visas that you were talking about a multi entry visa, but remember you were trying to advice someone who clearly do not have such deep knowledge. So just calling it a "one year Non-immigrant 'O' visa" could give the OP the wrong idea on how such a visa works and what it would give him. jdinasia was just adding the missing information.

Remember, when you are trying to communicate you should "know your audience". And with matters like visas and extensions it's especially important to be precise and complete in the information you give.

Not trying to lecture you (even though it may come across as such) and no offense intended.

Sophon

No offense, I just used the correct term according to immigration and the MFA website. Jdinasia simply provided additonal information to clarify, and there does seem to be plenty of confusion between the terms one year visas and one year extensions of stay.

Anyway, the OP has several options, no need to leave his family.

Edited by beechguy

Everything went according to plan and he recieved a 60 day extention. The lady behind the desk then said "see you in 60 days".

Shocked he sat back down and asked what she meant. She said that she assumed that he would be back and went on to explain that there is no limit on the amount of 60days you can have.

Bit expensive, 12000ish baht a year, but an option?

Have not seen any report of this happening without a new entry being made. With a new entry most will issue up to 4 times a year (or perhaps more).

I recently had a similar problem. Mine was that due to the exchange rate I no longer had the monthly 40k income.

Immigration worked out my yearly income and found it was short of the 400k that is required in the bank. So all I had to do show was the difference between my monthly income short fall and the required 400k in the bank.

Example, if you can show a monthly income of say 30k per month x 12 that equals 360k so if you have 40k in the bank that gives you the required 400k for the year.

Worked for me :)

(Not sure the matamatics is correct but you get the idea)

I recently had a similar problem. Mine was that due to the exchange rate I no longer had the monthly 40k income.

Immigration worked out my yearly income and found it was short of the 400k that is required in the bank. So all I had to do show was the difference between my monthly income short fall and the required 400k in the bank.

Example, if you can show a monthly income of say 30k per month x 12 that equals 360k so if you have 40k in the bank that gives you the required 400k for the year.

Only persons on an extension of stay based on retirement can use the combination of income and money in the bank. People on an extension of stay based on marriage cannot use a combination of the two.

What officer allowed this? Has it received approval from Bangkok? It is allowed for retirement extension of stay by police order 777/2551 but not for Thai Wife.

My application was based on marriage as it has been for a number of years. We supplied all the marriage documents kids birth certificates, map of house happy family photos an all the other stuff required for marriage extension.

My proof of income is from the UK Government Pension so could they have given me a retirement visa instead?

How would I know and would it make any difference?

Curious :unsure:

It makes a huge difference in this thread. But from the information you provided you would not have qualified for retirement unless combined income and bank deposit was 800k or more. They would much prefer to use retirement if you qualify and they approve immediately.

Thai Wife normally has a stamp saying that and retirement a stamp saying that. Thai wife would require the normal 30 days under review - retirement would not.

The difference to you would be with retirement a divorce would not require alternate visa arrangements and the one visit approval.

something gives me haedache

in case retirement ;

65000 a month or 800000 in bank / 65000 x 12 = 780000 ??:blink: not 800000

in case married to THAI

40000 a month or 400000 in bank / 40000 x12 = 480000 ?? :blink: = more then 400000

Or am i missing something :(

Just curious to know how Thai is counting or why so .....and how they should calculate a combination to show as income

THX

I didn't realize it but does seem I've been lucky this time, maybe I've just got one of those sad lost puppy dog looks and they felt sorry for me B)

Now if some of this luck could stretch to the Thai Lottery I'd be set up for next years extension application. :D

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application.

2.18 In the case of a family

member of a Thai.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Combined requirement for retirement is 800k per year. It is so stated in the regulations.

There is no combined method for Thai Wife in the regulations.

sorry i forgot t mension in case for retirment

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application.

2.18 In the case of a family

member of a Thai.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Is the marriage to a Thai still valid at 400k in the bank..I was told this option was no longer available and it was now 800k for all retirees married to Thai or not..Thanks

Retirement requires 800k/65k or combo but if you are married to a Thai you have "Thai wife" option which is 400k/40k. It would not be a retirement extension of stay so would end with divorce and requires more paperwork/wife to obtain. But it also allows a work permit to be issued if that is a factor.

THX for the reply, but that i know , i whas WONDERING HOW they calculate that rule , as i gave the Question here under ...??? Because the calcukation does not match my logic in calculating....:D !!!

QUESTION = how they manage those amounts as my calculation gives this :blink:

in case retirement ;

65000 a month or 800000 in bank / 65000 x 12 = 780000 ??:blink: not 800000

in case married to THAI

40000 a month or 400000 in bank / 40000 x12 = 480000 ?? :blink: = more then 400000

Or am i missing something :(

Just curious to know how Thai is counting or why so .....and how they should calculate a combination to show as income

THX

Off topic: There's no accounting for Thai logic. A married man probably supporting a wife and her or their family only needs 400K Baht where a retiree supporting no one else but his drinking other habits requires 800K.