The Squid Carts

The Coder

One of the more unique things you see in Thailand are street vendors with a cart of hanging dried squid. You pick out the size you want with small ones 10 baht and they go up to very large sizes. They grill it on the spot over charcoal and then roll it through a press till it is flat. Comes with a spicy peanut sauce. I have to say I really like these. It's kind of like beef jerky, only squid. A good snack and goes well with beer. What do you guys think?

One of the more unique things you see in Thailand are street vendors with a cart of hanging dried squid. You pick out the size you want with small ones 10 baht and they go up to very large sizes. They grill it on the spot over charcoal and then roll it through a press till it is flat. Comes with a spicy peanut sauce. I have to say I really like these. It's kind of like beef jerky, only squid. A good snack and goes well with beer. What do you guys think?

Love them. The real crispy ones in the cans or cellophane wraps are also good.

I think that the roasted squids are only second to the salted/sweeten dried fish (Pla Rew Kew) that are roasted then pounded to soften.....

:o

The dried Squid goes well with beer that's true. My favorite is Cuttle Fish. The barbecued Cuttlefish that is still sometimes sold outside Thai movie theaters. Used to be able to get it barbecued with Nam Pla and a wooden skewer (it was chopped in pieces and sold in a paper or plastic bag. You ate it with the skewers.) Now the movie theaters have gone high-class, but you can still find it outside the theaters sometime. Terrible stuff, high cholesteral and heart-choking fat laden stuff. That's what makes it good.

:D

Mmm, full of protein, vitamins, diesel and dust.

Never tried the stuff since it's almost never wrapped and they drive around with it flapping in the wind. :o

Heh, that can be true. The cart I am most familiar with has 10 baht squids hanging unprotected, but the higher priced ones are individually plastic wrapped. Nice business strategy! I never was much of a squid eater, but each time I have these they taste even better so kind of an acquired taste for me.

when i was in bangkok i used to crave those dried squid - and then one day i just went right off em, the smell turns my stomach now - the wife buys em here in england but we dont have a charcoal bbq so she nukes em in the microwave - which seems to intensify (spelling) that pungent smell :o

but i love fresh squid :D

Chaloklum in Koh Phangan is especially famous for producing dried squid. Thai people who come to the island invariable go to Chaloklum to buy a bag or two. I've never had the Bkk diesel variety :o but the locally produced stuff is quite tasty.

I think that the roasted squids are only second to the salted/sweeten dried fish (Pla Rew Kew) that are roasted then pounded to soften.....

havn't tried them with a cellophane wrap, wouldn't they be a bit chewy??? :o

One of the World's great beer snacks.

Has anyone tried the sugar coated barbequed fish sold by the squid vendors - a bizarre culinary experience.

havn't tried them with a cellophane wrap, wouldn't they be a bit chewy??? :o

The cellophane wrapped ones that I got from the shops near Phetburi are always crisps - but they don't keep well once opened - the humidity will get them chewy real fast. The canned ones are easier to keep..

I too like the squid as well as most of the other street food sold from carts. Always good snacks, desserts, or beer food. On the rare opportunities I go into the city looking for a beer and English conversation I find that bringing a newspaper wrapped bundle of cooked chicken feet or fried grubs usually attracts some opening conversations.

• 2 weeks later...