Available News Media In Phuket

Wellington

Since the thread about Alan Morison has been closed I'd like to open a new thread on the media in Phuket and what gives us best value for money.

The available newspapers are expensive if you buy every day and the two from Bangkok are so similar there seems no point in buying both.

The Gazette comes weekly and never, it seems, holds any new news, particularly if you attach to their mailing and get articles every day.

The Post is not much more than advertising.

So Alan's efforts are certainly looked forward to by me every day, and he does seem to get stories ,world wide, which are usually interesting; and his own editorials are

excellent. So he is to me far and away the best news hound we have available to us, and I find nothing wrong in his comments in the posting sections.

So, Bravo Sir, and keep up the good work.

I never visit the site (just as well by the sounds of it) but you seem to be, in by far the minority with that opinion.

Between the PG & TV, I dont' miss a great deal that happens, so not sure what your issue is.

Anyway, if some poor kids have died in another bike accident, and I don't get to hear about it, that can only make my day better.

No news is good news.

I never visit the site (just as well by the sounds of it) but you seem to be, in by far the minority with that opinion.

Between the PG & TV, I dont' miss a great deal that happens, so not sure what your issue is.

Anyway, if some poor kids have died in another bike accident, and I don't get to hear about it, that can only make my day better.

No news is good news.

Seeing the other thread about Alan, it occurred to me it was somewhat one-sided and he had no defenders.

Now I have put my penny's worth in the argument and wait to see if anyone else thinks he does a good job.

There is a new Phuket weekly aper coming out very soon, first issue is 4 March 2011 I am told. They are planning on taking Gazzett head on, going directly after that market. As I am also told they have the financial backing and top-notch professiona and expericend editors/journalists/marketing people to actually pull that off as well. I guess we will see. They believe that leaves a lot to be desired in the way of a "real" newspaper and so that their is market here eager for what they will provide. We shall see... IMO even if they are not superior to the Gazzett ANY real competition would hopefully improve the Gazzett.

No news is good news.

Seeing the other thread about Alan, it occurred to me it was somewhat one-sided and he had no defenders.

Now I have put my penny's worth in the argument and wait to see if anyone else thinks he does a good job.

Fair enough. I know you should always make up your own mind on these things, but sometimes life's too short.

Just by reading that thread, I was able to make the decision that that person and his work wasn't for me.

I don't always let other people do my thinking for me, but with a reference as conclusive as that, I would be very suprised If he turned out to be any different.

No news is good news.

Fair enough. I know you should always make up your own mind on these things, but sometimes life's too short.

Just by reading that thread, I was able to make the decision that that person and his work wasn't for me.

I don't always let other people do my thinking for me, but with a reference as conclusive as that, I would be very suprised If he turned out to be any different.

It's good to hear there will shortly be a rival to The Gazette.

It needs competition.

ANY real competition would hopefully improve the Gazzett.

I think one of the problems is, in this kind of place, a company owned by Farangs has to be very careful who they upset. If they just went around saying it like it was, it would upset a lot of people and they would be out of business very quickly.

I may be wrong, but I think their level of jounalistic integrity, is very much controlled by their environment.

Will it be any different for the new paper?

well all i can say is.. the guy is an old pro reporter,but i dont rate him as a person and like most reporters of old, they change with the wind,maybe hes getting alzheimers like me....hes unpredicable, thats my opinion for what its worh..end of story..

I had the pleasure to meet Alan Morison a couple of years ago. He has worked as a journalist for many years, and I think his site has some good stories you don't find in any other Phuket-based media. Since I'm in the newspaper business in my home country, I have to say that some of the stories on PW would not be printed in our paper, since they are far to onesided. But I think Mr. Morison should get credit for at least trying with his staff to hunt for the latest news.

Edited by zulugutt

well all i can say is.. the guy is an old pro reporter,but i dont rate him as a person and like most reporters of old, they change with the wind,maybe hes getting alzheimers like me....hes unpredicable, thats my opinion for what its worh..end of story..

Are you talking about Alan Morisson or whoever is starting the new rival paper?

Personally I can't see another printed publication taking off. Newspaper circulation worldwide has slumped in a major way since the advent of the internet, both local and national publications.

I used to buy the Gazette but haven't done so in probably three years as everything I need to read is online and a weekly newspaper has stories that are simply out of date.

Are you talking about Alan Morisson or whoever is starting the new rival paper?

Personally I can't see another printed publication taking off. Newspaper circulation worldwide has slumped in a major way since the advent of the internet, both local and national publications.

I used to buy the Gazette but haven't done so in probably three years as everything I need to read is online and a weekly newspaper has stories that are simply out of date.

Apparently, if one does it well, there is still good money to be made in the business e.g. see:

Edited by LivinginKata
Link removed as per forum rules

The new paper starting is called the Phuketarian. As mentioned it is being started by the guy behind NewspapersDirect.

Actually no, it is not called that. It will be called, of all things, "The Phuket News" (though you are correct re the connection to the said publication). I would post the website but I am not looking to get a lecture or worse from the monitors and I am sure you all, or most you, are proficient enough with a certain search engin ;)

The new paper starting is called the Phuketarian. As mentioned it is being started by the guy behind NewspapersDirect.

Actually no, it is not called that. It will be called, of all things, "The Phuket News" (though you are correct re the connection to the said publication). I would post the website but I am not looking to get a lecture or worse from the monitors and I am sure you all, or most you, are proficient enough with a certain search engin ;)

So far (at least) it's not against the forum to post this new "Phuket News" URL. I tried to find it, but the only one that looked close was a blog that was updated about every two months with an entry :).

First glance, seems to be, same <deleted> different name.

The problem is, unless you pick one or the other, you will have to read 90% of the stories twice.

Being on a small island, obviously a lot of the news will be redundant. The big question is, what will set them apart? Back to you BTB.

as the author of the original thread, i'd just like to say that it wasn't meant to be an "attack". if simply highlighting a pattern of public comments is considered an "attack", perhaps the powers that be here think that any publicity is good publicity for the competition. never let corporate interests get in the way of public discourse, egh?

if the editor were a team of people rather than an individual, would the comments be acceptable? people slag off immigration, the police and every other thai administration here. so what if it's one man. it's not like people can't go over to his site and judge the circumstances for themselves.

the OP is certainly entitled to his opinions, as is everyone else, but i would just like to say that since my OP went out, the editor doesn't seem phased. in two of the most-recent stories of expats' deaths, the editor has managed to use the deaths as springboards from which to promote his ability to scoop the gazette and make a tasteless joke about a lonely german's death.

again, the publication adds to phuket's media scene. unfortunately, alan's comments do his original work a huge disservice IMHO. should i ever meet the man, i'd be happy to say so and hear his defense.

hopefully i won't be banned for this...

as the author of the original thread, i'd just like to say that it wasn't meant to be an "attack". if simply highlighting a pattern of public comments is considered an "attack", perhaps the powers that be here think that any publicity is good publicity for the competition. never let corporate interests get in the way of public discourse, egh?

if the editor were a team of people rather than an individual, would the comments be acceptable? people slag off immigration, the police and every other thai administration here. so what if it's one man. it's not like people can't go over to his site and judge the circumstances for themselves.

the OP is certainly entitled to his opinions, as is everyone else, but i would just like to say that since my OP went out, the editor doesn't seem phased. in two of the most-recent stories of expats' deaths, the editor has managed to use the deaths as springboards from which to promote his ability to scoop the gazette and make a tasteless joke about a lonely german's death.

again, the publication adds to phuket's media scene. unfortunately, alan's comments do his original work a huge disservice IMHO. should i ever meet the man, i'd be happy to say so and hear his defense.

hopefully i won't be banned for this...

i agree about the story about the old man,he woul not print my comment,he does not seem to like the ..truth,,,,thats why he is a reporter and a good one..but very contraversial......and unpedricatable

but thats what sells his news

First glance, seems to be, same <deleted> different name.

The problem is, unless you pick one or the other, you will have to read 90% of the stories twice.

Being on a small island, obviously a lot of the news will be redundant. The big question is, what will set them apart? Back to you BTB.

Hopefully they will not be using that highly processed, bleached and slicky, so shiny as to be unreadable, utter tree- killing paper The Post uses.

I cannot read that paper for the glare.

Please people,. recycled stock ONLY !! Vegetable ink ONLY.

I say , say the more press the better.

They do cover bad news better than Gazette. But the online comment mods are too often unprofessional and /or mean.

keep in mind it is restricted and foreigners cannot own majority shares, legally in print media.

Well he seems annoyed enough to take quotes from here and use them to attack posters on his forum in totally unrelated comments, and miss read even mild criticism of the site as 'libel' 'slander' etc..

Hopefully they will not be using that highly processed, bleached and slicky, so shiny as to be unreadable, utter tree- killing paper The Post uses.

I cannot read that paper for the glare.

Please people,. recycled stock ONLY !! Vegetable ink ONLY.

We shall all see very soon I guess, first hard copy edition of the The Phuket News is supposed to be out tomorrow.

After the way the owners of Phuket News treated two of their now-fired editors, I won't be giving them a single baht.

not exactly a fair remark.

Would either one of you care to elaborate a little?

my point exactly...not really fair to make such negative personal comments about aomeone with absolutely no context or detail. i thought that was not allowed in the forum?