Transfering Large Jpg Files

doppa

To make it CM related, CMSteve is correct, the wireless dongle is slower than your broadband and won't work. You can try finding an internet cafe with super fast internet (if such a thing exists in Chiang Mai - much less Thailand) and upload via FTP from there. Dropbox wont' work as its an online file sharing system and your companies want FTP.

so, your next question should be, "Where in Chiang Mai can I find a public connection with enough speed to handle 20 7 MB files?"

A wireless modem will not work? Thats BS I am using CAT CDMA wireless internet and can transfer large files with no issues at all.

yes i would get a wireless modem, but unfortunately i live outside the area where wireless is available.

To make it CM related, CMSteve is correct, the wireless dongle is slower than your broadband and won't work. You can try finding an internet cafe with super fast internet (if such a thing exists in Chiang Mai - much less Thailand) and upload via FTP from there. Dropbox wont' work as its an online file sharing system and your companies want FTP.

so, your next question should be, "Where in Chiang Mai can I find a public connection with enough speed to handle 20 7 MB files?"

A wireless modem will not work? Thats BS I am using CAT CDMA wireless internet and can transfer large files with no issues at all.

yes i would get a wireless modem, but unfortunately i live outside the area where wireless is available.

Are you sure, until just this last week I could not get ADSL here but am within range of 5 CDMA Towers.

Are you sure, until just this last week I could not get ADSL here but am within range of 5 CDMA Towers.

checked with cat who operate a system, they told us too far out, we live in sansai area.

stick them on a usb drive and head to an internet shop.

plus you get to get out of the house.

Another option is to compress the file with a zip utility, but it would have to be able to be opened from the other end.

Edited by KRS1

I have CAT CDMA. In Chiang Mai, about 7 km South on Hang Dong Road, the best speed I can get is about 400 KB download. Upload about the same. When I use the CAT dongle about 20 km North of Chiang Mai (almost to Royal Chiang Mai golf course), I have gotten about 2 MB downbload and 1MB upload. That, however, is not consistant for me. It all depends on your location relative to their towers.

I had AIS Super 3G and CAT CDMA at the same time. Where I am located AIS was far superior to CAT because their towers are closer to me.

You should go to the CAT office on the Superhighway. They are very knowledgeable and helpful in my experience.

MSPain

I have CAT CDMA. In Chiang Mai, about 7 km South on Hang Dong Road, the best speed I can get is about 400 KB download. Upload about the same. When I use the CAT dongle about 20 km North of Chiang Mai (almost to Royal Chiang Mai golf course), I have gotten about 2 MB downbload and 1MB upload. That, however, is not consistant for me. It all depends on your location relative to their towers.

I had AIS Super 3G and CAT CDMA at the same time. Where I am located AIS was far superior to CAT because their towers are closer to me.

You should go to the CAT office on the Superhighway. They are very knowledgeable and helpful in my experience.

MSPain

yeah will give it a go, thanks

To be brutally honest, if an upload of a 7Mb file is failing, your internet connection has to be truly crap.

Options I can think of that might work...

1. Connect through a VPN to a country with decent internet. (Odd - I know, as the encrypted pipe should in reality be less reliable than an unencrypted connection to their web page, but, IPSEC connection (i.e. VPN ones) don't seem to get as mangled by the Thai ISPs as regular TCP/IP connections. I've forgotten the number of times when a website suddenly isn't working from my home connection, but has no issues when I connect through the office VPN (from home) - last one was my bank's website which was, for some unknown reason, just not working locally. - i.e. I'm not talking sites that would be blocked by the ICT ministry as the company almost certainly blocks those too)

2. Any other internet connection than your home one, which must be truly awful. (This means the wireless modem might well work for you but you should try and fine a way to test it out first rather than pay the money and find it doesn't work.)

3. Email the files to a relative in a country with a decent internet, and have them do the uploads for you. If your relative is reasonably computer savvy, you could set up a P2P connection to them using a private torrent, which has benefits in terms of retransferring bits of the file that don't match checksums, etc. - which is why bittorrent works regardless of the size of the files you're downloading.

I'm assuming here that you've done the usual first step in improving your internet here, and switched to a DNS service NOT provided by your ISP. I use openDNS personally, or Google's DNS is also supposed to be good.

Edited by bkk_mike

I guess I completely missed this post in my first reading on this string...

If your wireless router's indicators lights are showing a lost connection or disconnect, it is probably a problem of the connection between you wireless router and the computers wireless modem. Have you ever tried to send the files without using the wireless and plugging the ethernet wire from computer to router? Better yet, if this is a separate wireless router (i.e. you have an adsl modem and a wireless router) try taking the wireless router out of the picture completely and just plug the computer directly into the adsl modems ethernet jack.

Good Luck.

Why not use FTP (file transfer protocol) and ask them for access to their server. Simple and easy and you can leave them running overnight if they are really large, although I wouldn't call 7Mb really large.

i try to use a ftp file, but before the first image is completed the red light indicator on my belkin wireless router flashes then stays on, informing me no connection.