Civil Court Finds PAD Guilty In Bangkok Airport Closure Case

webfact

The PAD violated the principles of peaceful assembly as evidenced by PAD-led protesters putting on masks and wielding wooden and iron sticks to raid the grounds of the two airports, the verdict said.

Some posters were denying there were violent elements at the airport on another thread.

Hope that clarifies.

It should also hopefully clarify that wooden and iron sticks are no comparison to the grenade launchers, various bombs, and automatic weapons that the Red colored shirts utilized.

It should clarify to some posters who were postulating that the level of violence employed by the two different shirts were equal.

here we go, those guns, rocket launchers etc that you mention were not used to close down international airports so it matters not one jot what the weapon was, it is what it was used for.

Lets not forget the shootings by the yellows, the kidnap of police officers, the explosives found at GH, the car bomb on Sukhothai road, the shooting on Viphavadee Road, yellows running over police men in the streets in their pick ups, storming radio and tv stations etc etc etc, I could go on but you get the point and to be honest it is dam_n pathetic to try and say the yellows did anything other than what i have written because the footage is there for all to see.

On another note, I did not realise anyone had been arrested and convicted for burning central world, i guess i missed that, unless you are just assuming the reds did it, or maybe you have evidence of this, if you do get it to the authorities quick so the culprits can rightly be arrested.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PAD violated the principles of peaceful assembly as evidenced by PAD-led protesters putting on masks and wielding wooden and iron sticks to raid the grounds of the two airports, the verdict said.

Some posters were denying there were violent elements at the airport on another thread.

Hope that clarifies.

It should also hopefully clarify that wooden and iron sticks are no comparison to the grenade launchers, various bombs, and automatic weapons that the Red colored shirts utilized.

It should clarify to some posters who were postulating that the level of violence employed by the two different shirts were equal.

here we go

Apparently it failed to clarify for the forum reds that still refuse to acknowledge that the Reds had more violent incidents and far more weaponry which resulted in far more deaths and far more mayhem and destruction.

Oh, well.

Quite clearly I did not.

Is this how you choose to spend your life or is it forced on you? It is as though some posters on here have nothing to do all day but try to start spats on the internet, it is all a bit sad really and I am guessing you don't get invited to many parties. i have made this clear a number of times, read what is written, absorb it, understand it, then refrain from changing it your head to what you wish was written so you can start another petty spat :rolleyes: You should understand it, I am not even using joined up writing

So when someone says they won't pay because of "Appeals ... then more appeals ... then just non-payment." and you say "or become a non elected member of the cabinet", that's not implying that someone has avoided payment by becoming a "non elected member of parliament".

Fair enough.

clearly not, it is a comparison, not a statement, it is simply saying that becoming a member of the cabinet you can avoid being charged with the offence in the first place, My puppy just read my comment and he understood it, and he is just a baby dog, but then again he is not spending his life looking for pointless fights on the internet.

It is as I said, you chose to read that post based on who wrote it rather than what was written, now rather than admit that this is what you usually do you will try and get a long drawn out dispute over it rather than that just admit that you got the wrong end of the stick, but i doubt your ego would allow that and you will continue to derail the thread with nonsense, not for the first time i might add.

It is clear that being an unelected member of the Cabinet you can avoid being charged with offences related to the airport takeover, is that any clearer for you or shall I get my puppy to call you?

Sorry but I also read that you were talking through knowledge and not through your puppies bottom. Maybe you understand what you meant to say, now realise that you made an incorrect statement and are wriggling like a irritated snake. We now understand that you comment should be ignored and perhaps you should have said this in your second reply and then it would be clear even to you puppy who out of misguided loyalty will side with its owner no matter how wrong he or she is.

Apparently it failed to clarify for the forum reds that still refuse to acknowledge that the Reds had more violent incidents and far more weaponry which resulted in far more deaths and far more mayhem and destruction.

Oh, well.

Both governments handled the situation differently primarily because the military supported one of those governments and did not the other.

Had there been an attempt (and rightfully so and as would have happened in any other country in the World) to remove the protesters from the airport using live ammunition and force as we saw at Rajaprasong what would have happened then?

I think we all know the answer.

Oh, well.

Both governments handled the situation differently primarily because the military supported one of those governments and did not the other.

Had there been an attempt (and rightfully so and as would have happened in any other country in the World) to remove the protesters from the airport using live ammunition and force as we saw at Rajaprasong what would have happened then?

I wasn't referring to an imagined hypothetical situation, only to what actually transpired.

I also wasn't referring to the reaction by the governments of the day, only to the action of the two groups and the materials at their disposal.

Quite clearly I did not.

Is this how you choose to spend your life or is it forced on you? It is as though some posters on here have nothing to do all day but try to start spats on the internet, it is all a bit sad really and I am guessing you don't get invited to many parties. i have made this clear a number of times, read what is written, absorb it, understand it, then refrain from changing it your head to what you wish was written so you can start another petty spat :rolleyes: You should understand it, I am not even using joined up writing

So when someone says they won't pay because of "Appeals ... then more appeals ... then just non-payment." and you say "or become a non elected member of the cabinet", that's not implying that someone has avoided payment by becoming a "non elected member of parliament".

Fair enough.

clearly not, it is a comparison, not a statement, it is simply saying that becoming a member of the cabinet you can avoid being charged with the offence in the first place, My puppy just read my comment and he understood it, and he is just a baby dog, but then again he is not spending his life looking for pointless fights on the internet.

It is as I said, you chose to read that post based on who wrote it rather than what was written, now rather than admit that this is what you usually do you will try and get a long drawn out dispute over it rather than that just admit that you got the wrong end of the stick, but i doubt your ego would allow that and you will continue to derail the thread with nonsense, not for the first time i might add.

It is clear that being an unelected member of the Cabinet you can avoid being charged with offences related to the airport takeover, is that any clearer for you or shall I get my puppy to call you?

OK. Next time I read one of your posts, I'll try to remember that it might have nothing to do with what you were quoting, and it relates to something else that you haven't mentioned.

or become a non elected member of the cabinet

Who has avoided paying damages by "becoming a non elected member of cabinet"?

Well it a pointless question by you because as yet nobody has avoided paying damages because as yet we do not know if they will pay or not, but I am sure you know this full well and I am sure you know that I refer to Kasit who so far has avoided any charges as he is a member of the cabinet whilst not being elected for parliament. Ergo by becoming a one elected member of the cabinet you can avoid charges and therefore probably avoid damages.

On another note if you wish to be pedantic, this matter was in the civil court, the damages awarded will probably never be paid as Thailand does not have any procedure to ensure they are paid, therefore going to 'nick' if they don't pay is not on the agenda. As this is the case i doubt there will even be an appeal, it will just go unpaid.

Just another regular day and who really cares or worries? The Boys in BKK are not!!! Amazing Thailand to say the least but then this is the way this country runs and always will.

Well it a pointless question by you because as yet nobody has avoided paying damages because as yet we do not know if they will pay or not, but I am sure you know this full well and I am sure you know that I refer to Kasit who so far has avoided any charges as he is a member of the cabinet whilst not being elected for parliament. Ergo by becoming a one elected member of the cabinet you can avoid charges and therefore probably avoid damages.

On another note if you wish to be pedantic, this matter was in the civil court, the damages awarded will probably never be paid as Thailand does not have any procedure to ensure they are paid, therefore going to 'nick' if they don't pay is not on the agenda. As this is the case i doubt there will even be an appeal, it will just go unpaid.

Just another regular day and who really cares or worries? The Boys in BKK are not!!! Amazing Thailand to say the least but then this is the way this country runs and always will.

changes?

keep fingers across ..........then

It would have been cheaper with a SWAT team, a couple of well placed bullets and dispersement of the crowd in panic. Whoever heard of an airport seizure for as long as it went on - and even grew by the second airport - only in Thailand - all else would have been removed with extreme prejudice.

If the protesters had sat it out for weeks and weeks at the airport, use of live ammunition might have been warranted. To use live ammunition after a matter of days would not have been reasonable and futhermore nor would it be in any civilised society. The protesters at Rajaprasong hadn't been there days, they had been there for weeks on end, and they had been given warning after warning after more warning, to leave the area for their own safety. Those who ignored those warnings paid the price. Hard to feel sympathy in those circumstances don't you agree?

Thai 'Yellows' to pay $17 mn for airport seizure

BANGKOK, March 25, 2011 (AFP) - A Thai court on Friday ordered 13 leaders of the influential "Yellow Shirt" protest movement to pay $17 million in compensation over their involvement in crippling airport blockades in 2008.

The nation's Civil Court found that the group "illegally interfered" in the operation of Bangkok's two main airports during the protest, which left more than 300,000 travellers stranded and caused major damage to Thailand's economy.

It instructed the key Yellow Shirts to pay a total of 522.1 million baht ($17.3 million) to national operator Airports of Thailand, plus interest of 7.5 percent a year since December 3, 2008, when the protest came to an end.

"The defendants incited protesters, through their speeches, to occupy the airports," the verdict said.

The Yellows, who boast support from Bangkok elites and elements in the military, used to be linked to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, but the relationship has soured over his handling of a border dispute with Cambodia.

Among the defendants was Chamlong Srimuang, the controversial former Bangkok governor and leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the Yellows' official organisation.

The Court rejected suggestions that the Yellow Shirt demonstration could have constitutional protection, saying that the rally was not peaceful and some protesters were armed.

Criminal investigations against the Yellows have so far not resulted in prosecutions, prompting resentment and claims of double standards by their arch-rivals, the "Red Shirts".

Many leaders of the mainly rural, working class Reds were swiftly locked up on terrorism charges after their street protest in Bangkok came to a bloody end in May last year, although most have now been bailed.

Yellow Shirts are a force to be reckoned with in Thailand's colour-coded politics and have helped to claim the scalps of three governments in under five years, including that of Reds hero fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Having helped to facilitate Thaksin's removal in a 2006 military coup, the Yellows went on to put pressure on a Thaksin-allied government in 2008.

Protesters first blocked the Don Mueang airport on the northern outskirts of Bangkok in late November 2008 before moving to occupy the larger and newer Suvarnabhumi Airport for week.

The Yellow Shirts abandoned the blockade after a decision by Thailand's Constitutional Court resulted in the dismissal of then prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, Thaksin's brother-in-law, from office.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-03-25

A rightful attempt to remove protesters using live ammunition? What happened with the six or seven step approach which don't include live ammunition?

More specific what did those protesters at the airport do to warrant the use of live ammunition? Had they been making a mess there for weeks already? Did they lob grenades, shoot at police/army?

Edited by rubl

I wasn't referring to an imagined hypothetical situation, only to what actually transpired.

I also wasn't referring to the reaction by the governments of the day, only to the action of the two groups and the materials at their disposal.

This thread is about the fine imposed on PAD for the airport seizures.

What are you talking about?

Court Slaps Bt500-mln Fine in Airport Protest Case

The Civil Court has ruled that 13 yellow-shirt leaders must pay more than 500 million baht in compensation for the group's forced closure of the country's two international airports during its protests in 2008.

The Civil Court earlier today ordered leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, Major General Chamlong Srimuang and 12 of his associates to pay 522 million bath in compensation for damage from their protests at the Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports.

The amount will also include 7.5-percent interest calculated from December 3, 2008, when the group ended its sit-in protests.

The case was filed by the Airports of Thailand, or AOT, Public Company Limited, which asked for 245 million baht in compensation from 13 defendants for the alleged seizure of the two international airports.

The court stated the PAD's protests in the airport grounds aimed to shut down their operation, hence leading to turmoil among Thai and foreign passengers.

The court ruled that the move damaged business and services and dented the country's image.

The court also found that the first group of protesters trespassing into the airports set up barricades at the exit and entrance ways and searched passing cars, thus sparking fear among those affected.

It dismissed the defendants' claim that the group's airport protests were peaceful and protected by the Constitution, saying what they did attested they violated the freedom of others, which is illegal under the charter.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-03-25

footer_n.gif

Just out of curiosity, now that this has set a legal precedent, I wonder if we might now see the reds or rather ted leaders, being sized up for a 'financial damages claim'

As the reds war cry states " No double standards'

I know the demonstrations were different in method and outcome but, as the old saying goes; what is good for the goose is also good for the gander.

Criminal investigations against the Yellows have so far not resulted in prosecutions, prompting resentment and claims of double standards by their arch-rivals, the "Red Shirts".

The AFP missed the boat on that one since there were 84 criminal convictions of PAD members last year.

This thread is about the fine imposed on PAD for the airport seizures.

What are you talking about?

A short, factual reply to Post # 27.

Amazingly enough, it was disputed which generated the above.

I'd imagine this is a veiled reference to attempts by UDD members to avoid terrorism charges by becoming party list MPs at the next election.

But on the OP - About time. Now lets see them pay up !!!

No way they won't pay 1 single satang. Why? Because they are the elite of bangkok and are the yellow shits oops spelled wrong again shirts.

Hope that clarifies.

here we go, those guns, rocket launchers etc that you mention were not used to close down international airports so it matters not one jot what the weapon was, it is what it was used for.

Lets not forget the shootings by the yellows, the kidnap of police officers, the explosives found at GH, the car bomb on Sukhothai road, the shooting on Viphavadee Road, yellows running over police men in the streets in their pick ups, storming radio and tv stations etc etc etc, I could go on but you get the point and to be honest it is dam_n pathetic to try and say the yellows did anything other than what i have written because the footage is there for all to see.

On another note, I did not realise anyone had been arrested and convicted for burning central world, i guess i missed that, unless you are just assuming the reds did it, or maybe you have evidence of this, if you do get it to the authorities quick so the culprits can rightly be arrested.

Random

let me get this rite.

You are saying that the level of violence of the red and yellow shirts was the same.

Maybe you meant the monetary damage was the same. Would be interesting to know the total cost of each of there actions. I actually with no statistics or charts to back it up believe the red shirts price was the highest.

No way they won't pay 1 single satang. Why? Because they are the elite of bangkok and are the yellow shits oops spelled wrong again shirts.

You need not come from the elite nor wear a yellow shirt to evade justice in Thailand.

P.S. Your humour is very sophisticated.

Yes, you did.

Quite clearly I did not.

He wont like that.. He will take his bat and ball home if you say something he doesnt agree with

Hope that clarifies.

The forum yellows will still deny it, or try and justify it, or come with some nonsense while trying to compare it to the reds rather than just accept the PAD are violent thugs.

Actually I remember from another thread, a poster claiming to have been at the airport and seen assault rifles etc .... no mention of that in the verdict. Yes it is fair to contrast people wielding cudgels to people firing grenades and say that one is certainly more deadly than the other.

Hope that clarifies.

They only deny bcos then they can justify why it was correct to send the army in against the reds. Civil court says violent take over of 2 airports. Supporters of the current government like to comment... you should thats how you got to power

Hope that clarifies.

will Kasit chip-in? He liked the most expensive picknick so much.

By the way they took the control towers by force too.

Hope that clarifies.

You cannot help yourself..but nobody is listening anymore. Take defeat on this point gracefully..like a man.. While your licking your wounds justify this little titbit recently surface on the net

and justify or explain away.

2,120 sniper shots fired

PPT knows that the army has great trouble keeping track of its arms and ammunition as they are lost, stolen, misplaced and traded in large numbers. However, a short report at ............. makes for interesting reading.

The report says that a Puea Thai Party Chair of the House Committee on Military Affairs has disclosed “an account of ammunition disbursed by the army during the crackdown on red shirts early last year” that we call the Battle for Bangkok.

Even allowing for the army’s fudging and “losses,” it is astounding that “3,000 sniper rounds of which 880 were returned…”. It would appear that 2,120 rounds were fired at protesters and others by the army during April and May 2010.

Moreover, less than 7,000 blank rounds were fired while 117,923 live rounds were fired at the people. So much for the government’s claims that blanks were used and “reasonable” measures taken by state forces….

Its called alternative press..you should trying reading... Sorry if this off thread but the nation wont print claims like this

"PAD ordered to pay Bt522 million damage for airports seizure"

Don't worry, they'll not pay and even will receive 522 million from their POWERFUL support who will order the gvt to open the purse for them.

Why would the government want to help PAD out?? as they are doing their darndest to get them turfed out of government over the "Cambodia affair" and I can assure you they are hated equally,(if not more so now than the 'red shirts on account of this)!!!:blink: .

You cannot help yourself..but nobody is listening anymore.

Yet, you reply. .... edit: oh, I get it ... you're nobody.

Moreover, less than 7,000 blank rounds were fired

Blanks? They're not going to do much to keep back the protesters are they? Do the protesters have fake blood pouches to use when the army are firing blanks?

Edited by whybother

You cannot help yourself..but nobody is listening anymore. Take defeat on this point gracefully..like a man.. While your licking your wounds justify this little titbit recently surface on the net

and justify or explain away.

2,120 sniper shots fired

PPT knows that the army has great trouble keeping track of its arms and ammunition as they are lost, stolen, misplaced and traded in large numbers. However, a short report at ............. makes for interesting reading.

The report says that a Puea Thai Party Chair of the House Committee on Military Affairs has disclosed "an account of ammunition disbursed by the army during the crackdown on red shirts early last year" that we call the Battle for Bangkok.

Even allowing for the army's fudging and "losses," it is astounding that "3,000 sniper rounds of which 880 were returned…". It would appear that 2,120 rounds were fired at protesters and others by the army during April and May 2010.

Moreover, less than 7,000 blank rounds were fired while 117,923 live rounds were fired at the people. So much for the government's claims that blanks were used and "reasonable" measures taken by state forces….

Its called alternative press..you should trying reading... Sorry if this off thread but the nation wont print claims like this

Source? Using copyrighted material needs a link to the source. Thanks.

Is TAN yellow? .........

do you guy know?

TAN is the Thai Asean news network reporting on thre case so I fail to understand you're question, unless it is a play on words to do with colour schemes that is!!!! Tan, yellow and all that :whistling: .