Chiang Mai - Sukhothai Per Small Motorbike Yamaha Mio

bangkokcitylimits

333km, so 3hrs at 111kph... Maybe 5 hrs. Follow signs to Lamping then Sukhothai. Boring highway mainly, gets interesting going over a mountain after Lampang if I remember rightly. Personally I wouldn't do it on a Mio.

A friend and I recently did the Chiang Mai to Pai to Mae Hong Son to Mae Sariang and back to Chiang Mai throught Hot. It was about 620 km round trip and the little 125 scooters did it with no problem. And there were a bunch of steep mountain passes to climb over. We seldom went over 75 km/hr and felt comfortable in all the tight corners. We just let the fast moving vans and trucks pass us. If you aren't trying to get somewhere in a specific time then a 333 km ride is not that tough. Just stop enough to straighten the legs and give the bum a rest. Just remember that you AREN'T going to average the same speed as a car, van or truck. ... nor should you want to.

Its not a bad ride. Just go straight down Rt1 to the 101, you'll see the signs. Going through to Lampang is nice and hilly, after that you hit a lot of flat lands with rice fields. I would say 4-5hrs in a rush. No problems on the Mio. Just make sure you keep it gassed up.

BTW, no trains, but there are buses to Sukhothai. You can catch a cheap bus from the Arcade Bus Station

... snip ... Train CM > BKK does not stop in Sukhothai right ?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun BangkokCityLimits,

The train does stop in Phitsanulok, and from there the bus ride to Sukhothai is not long.

best, ~o:37;

Just a note i think worth mentioning..... make sure you got your passport with you. There are often 2 or 3 police check points on this journey. Usualy i get waved on without question , but a couple of times they ask for my passport.

Three hours on a Mio? No way! Three and a half hours in a car is pushing it (I do this journey every two weeks.)

I wouldn't do it in a Mio either! But the quickest way after Lampang is to take a left turn when you get to Theon, heading towards Thung Saliam. That way is a short cut through the mountains and you can just follow the signs to Sukhothai. It cuts off a massive corner instead of having to head on to Tak.

I think it will take you a long time on a Mio.

Get a bus from Arcade like someone else said. It takes about 5-6 hours and it's only about 235 Baht.

A friend and I recently did the Chiang Mai to Pai to Mae Hong Son to Mae Sariang and back to Chiang Mai throught Hot. It was about 620 km round trip and the little 125 scooters did it with no problem. And there were a bunch of steep mountain passes to climb over.

No problem on a Mio or even smaller. Ive done this trip along with a Bangkok, K'buri, Sangklaburi, Three Pagodas Pass and return on a Mio with two up, and a couple of packs with enough gear for four days. I've also done the K'buri to S'buri trip a number of times on even smaller bikes. You won't have any difficulty, keep gassed up, take it easy, 70-75 Km/hr, plenty of sunscreen, scarf and sunglasses and it'll be a breeze. Figure on averaging no more than about 55 Km/hr.

That trip up around Mae Hong Son to Pai etc., is great, more twists than a snake with a broken back, but nice riding, very dry and desolate in the dry season, but pretty after rain.