Ford Ranger T6 2.2 Tdci

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks MRO, that's good to know the pricing is secure. I am going to visit my Ford dealer tomorrow to place a deposit on the 4-door 2.2L 2WD XLT model.

With all the extra goodies + added safety that comes with the 3.2L & the more power off course, the 3.2 sounds like the better deal to me, but your money so your choice :jap:

Yeah, I've been thinking about the 3.2L and the added safety, but I commute long flat distance each week, and have other cars, and not really interested in high performance on this unit...but tempting...

If it feels to slow, just chip it. With the weight savings of a smaller engine and by not having to buy 4WD, a chipped 2.2L 2WD will be quicker than a stock 3.2L 4WD ;)

But you do give up the some of the handling and safety electronics (including built-in rear camera) and of course, the side and curtain airbags, which are standard on the 3.2 (as well as a few other multi-media and cosmetic goodies). Of course, if you can wait a year or so, all these features are likely to drift down in the line-up over time.

Thanks MRO, that's good to know the pricing is secure. I am going to visit my Ford dealer tomorrow to place a deposit on the 4-door 2.2L 2WD XLT model.

With all the extra goodies + added safety that comes with the 3.2L & the more power off course, the 3.2 sounds like the better deal to me, but your money so your choice :jap:

Yeah, I've been thinking about the 3.2L and the added safety, but I commute long flat distance each week, and have other cars, and not really interested in high performance on this unit...but tempting...

If it feels to slow, just chip it. With the weight savings of a smaller engine and by not having to buy 4WD, a chipped 2.2L 2WD will be quicker than a stock 3.2L 4WD ;)

MRO would running the 4wd is 2wd mode be as fuel efficient as the 2wd only model? And what are the fuel economy figures we have to date for these cars? I've seen a few figures from overseas but not sure how they would translate to here. If the 3.2 could give 9-10 km/l around Nonthaburi, that would be similar to my civic and would be acceptable.

I asked that:) I did a search and found a carryboy flat lid with a roll bar. They are also making a tall carryboy canopy that might be better for carrying tall goods. It would be hard to justify a top model pjs at 1.3 when normally it would only have my wife any boy as passengers. No real need for 7 seats. BIL has a pjs for the big family jaunts anyway:) Chipped up to 260hp got me drooling though hehe

Thats sounds good, I might be able to convince the wife to go for the Ranger then (only one car in the house hold). I wonder how much space there is in the cabin, can 3 persons sit comfortable in the rear seats? I am in Qatar working right now so can't check myself.

The new Ranger is the roomiest of all the current pick-ups and rear doors now open wider too. I sat in the back of one recently that was on show at Big C, plenty of room for three in the rear.

Apart from the fact that its against the law here to carry passengers in the rear of those two door trucks. Ever wonder why there are no rear seat belts fitted, and on Thai TV adverts & vehicle brochures you never see people actually sitting down on those little bench seats. Just bits of luggage and box's being loaded in to show you how spacious it is in the rear.

Been discussed here many times but again road tax, - my two door Kingcab (commercial truck) 1050 Baht, Passenger carrying double cab (3L) 6,800 BAHT.

ph34r.gif

Fantastic! How much to chip it, I wonder.

Cheaper ones that need wire cutting start at about 6K Baht (not recommended)

Racechip Pro (plug-n-play) costs about 12-13K to import yourself.

The better Thai ones that vary each injector independently (plug-n-play) sell for ~15K Baht.

MRO what other simple mods would be available that wouldn't invalidate the warranty? The dump pipe, k&N filter? anything else?

Is there any nice sounding exhaust systems available for pickups?

I asked that:) I did a search and found a carryboy flat lid with a roll bar. They are also making a tall carryboy canopy that might be better for carrying tall goods. It would be hard to justify a top model pjs at 1.3 when normally it would only have my wife any boy as passengers. No real need for 7 seats. BIL has a pjs for the big family jaunts anyway:) Chipped up to 260hp got me drooling though hehe

Thats sounds good, I might be able to convince the wife to go for the Ranger then (only one car in the house hold). I wonder how much space there is in the cabin, can 3 persons sit comfortable in the rear seats? I am in Qatar working right now so can't check myself.

The new Ranger is the roomiest of all the current pick-ups and rear doors now open wider too. I sat in the back of one recently that was on show at Big C, plenty of room for three in the rear.

Is there still much room in the back with the front seat right back? Same as a C segment car? Just wondering how it compares:)

MRO would running the 4wd is 2wd mode be as fuel efficient as the 2wd only model? And what are the fuel economy figures we have to date for these cars? I've seen a few figures from overseas but not sure how they would translate to here. If the 3.2 could give 9-10 km/l around Nonthaburi, that would be similar to my civic and would be acceptable.

4WD adds 107KG weight to the vehicle, so even if RWD only is engaged, fuel economy will still suffer a few %.

MRO what other simple mods would be available that wouldn't invalidate the warranty? The dump pipe, k&N filter? anything else?

Note that a piggyback *will* invalidate the warranty - that's why it's important to have one that can be quickly removed and is untraceable (i.e. plug-n-play).

A K&N filter will not effect the warranty, a dump pipe certainly will - but only if the dealer sees it fitted ;)

I don't know if it's possible to make a diesel sound nice, heh - IMHO you're best off going for the quietest option (usually OEM).

Is there still much room in the back with the front seat right back? Same as a C segment car? Just wondering how it compares:)

You'd need to be 7'+ to have the front seats all the way back, but then perhaps you are ;)

Rear seat space is more comparable to an upper B segment car like a Mazda3 or Altis - it's good for the class of vehicle (a 6'er could sit behind another 6'er), but not at say Camry or PJS standards.

It is in Vigo, so sure is in Ranger T6

my test is, adjust drivers seat to fit me, which in almost all cars is rearmost position, the sit behind myself. Some cars I cant get in, like the CRUZE

4WD adds 107KG weight to the vehicle, so even if RWD only is engaged, fuel economy will still suffer a few %.

Note that a piggyback *will* invalidate the warranty - that's why it's important to have one that can be quickly removed and is untraceable (i.e. plug-n-play).

A K&N filter will not effect the warranty, a dump pipe certainly will - but only if the dealer sees it fitted ;)

I don't know if it's possible to make a diesel sound nice, heh - IMHO you're best off going for the quietest option (usually OEM).

You'd need to be 7'+ to have the front seats all the way back, but then perhaps you are ;)

Rear seat space is more comparable to an upper B segment car like a Mazda3 or Altis - it's good for the class of vehicle (a 6'er could sit behind another 6'er), but not at say Camry or PJS standards.

Thanks, I'm 6'3" and put the seat in my civic all the way back, but maybe not necessary in this truck. The weight might have some effect to FC but I think not much, with all that torque it produces. Not the same as sticking 100KG in my sedan. If leg room is similar to my civic I'd be happy with that. As was asked before, can a hard canopy be fitted with the rollbar in the wildtrack? I've just seen that carryboy is developing a large canopy for the ranger. Not sure I'd want that or a flat canopy.

my test is, adjust drivers seat to fit me, which in almost all cars is rearmost position, the sit behind myself. Some cars I cant get in, like the CRUZE

hehe when I did that with the fiesta I simply could not get my feet in behind the front seat. It's dam_n tiny in the back!

Thanks, I'm 6'3" and put the seat in my civic all the way back, but maybe not necessary in this truck. The weight might have some effect to FC but I think not much, with all that torque it produces. Not the same as sticking 100KG in my sedan. If leg room is similar to my civic I'd be happy with that. As was asked before, can a hard canopy be fitted with the rollbar in the wildtrack? I've just seen that carryboy is developing a large canopy for the ranger. Not sure I'd want that or a flat canopy.

Aeroklas make two different styled canopies for the T6 Ranger, and no doubt Carryboy and others will soon follow suit. However, the Wildtrak's rollover bar and the side rails on the tray would need to be removed in order to fit one...

Back on rear legroom, here's some comparisons:

Civic: 775mm

T6 Ranger: 902mm

Mazda3 4-door: 919mm

Accord: 944mm

Camry: 989mm

Pajero Sport: 1007mm

Aeroklas make two different styled canopies for the T6 Ranger, and no doubt Carryboy and others will soon follow suit. However, the Wildtrak's rollover bar and the side rails on the tray would need to be removed in order to fit one...

How are these measured? Accord def has more rear legroom behind myself than Camry. Spendt a good deal of time in both rearseats, sleeping while travelling B)

How are these measured? Accord def has more rear legroom behind myself than Camry. Spendt a good deal of time in both rearseats, sleeping while travelling B)

Front seat all the way back, then measure the distance between the rear-seat seat-back and the front-seat seat-back.

Some cars look worse (or better) on paper due to having more (or less) front leg room.

Front seat all the way back, then measure the distance between the rear-seat seat-back and the front-seat seat-back.

Some cars look worse (or better) on paper due to having more (or less) front leg room.

explains it, as camry has to go all the way back, while Accord is more Euro style, and my position as driver is not rearmost

benz and bmw would score porely, as they allow long travel for drivers seat

I ll stick to my own test ;)

I've had a G-Wagon before and it looked like it had more leg room in the back than PJS...but the real issue for me was the small front door in PJS comperinng to G-wagon,or Tuna...same in Triton.Now,the T6 is what I like,big doors front and back...

BTW,I was amazed about the leg room in Almera(!!)...that's why I want that to be my "second" car...hate when get kicked in the back all the time while driving:D

explains it, as camry has to go all the way back, while Accord is more Euro style, and my position as driver is not rearmost

benz and bmw would score porely, as they allow long travel for drivers seat

I ll stick to my own test ;)

Yep, the only real way to tell is a real-life test..

I've had a G-Wagon before and it looked like it had more leg room in the back than PJS...but the real issue for me was the small front door in PJS comperinng to G-wagon,or Tuna...same in Triton.Now,the T6 is what I like,big doors front and back...

BTW,I was amazed about the leg room in Almera(!!)...that's why I want that to be my "second" car...hate when get kicked in the back all the time while driving:D

Do you have the data for Almera?

Do you have the data for Almera?

Almera officially has 965mm rear legroom.

hehe when I did that with the fiesta I simply could not get my feet in behind the front seat. It's dam_n tiny in the back!

That's what I did. I'm 6'3 so moved the drivers seat in the new Ranger to the very back then sat behind it, plenty of room. Worth pointing out that, although I usually need the driver's seat as far back as it will go, the Ranger's driver's seat actually goes back further than I required, I actually moved it forward 1-2 notches to find the most comfortable position.

That's what I did. I'm 6'3 so moved the drivers seat in the new Ranger to the very back then sat behind it, plenty of room. Worth pointing out that, although I usually need the driver's seat as far back as it will go, the Ranger's driver's seat actually goes back further than I required, I actually moved it forward 1-2 notches to find the most comfortable position.

That's good news then. Does that explain the shorter leg room in the ranger compared to the pjs? Because the front seat in the ranger goes further back?

That front seat is in the middle position, so bit hard to tell from that. Would need to test myself. Im sure there will be displays in shopping centres soon to test it out:) I'd also really hate to remove that nice roll bar just to fit a cover on the back. Would ford produce a factory cover as an accessory?

That front seat is in the middle position, so bit hard to tell from that. Would need to test myself. Im sure there will be displays in shopping centres soon to test it out:) I'd also really hate to remove that nice roll bar just to fit a cover on the back. Would ford produce a factory cover as an accessory?

The official OEM tray cover and canopies for the Ranger are manufactured by Aeroklas: http://www.aeroklas.com/index-en.php

So a question for them :)

The official OEM tray cover and canopies for the Ranger are manufactured by Aeroklas: http://www.aeroklas.com/index-en.php

So a question for them :)

Thanks for the link. Is it possible for these canopies to be purchased prior to delivery of the new vehicle? Sorry for the questions, I know nothing of purchasing a pickup!

That's good news then. Does that explain the shorter leg room in the ranger compared to the pjs? Because the front seat in the ranger goes further back?

You can't really compare a pickup truck to an SUV - SUV's have the advantage of being able to place the rear (middle row) seats over the rear wheels, so it's not a fair comparison.

Thanks for the link. Is it possible for these canopies to be purchased prior to delivery of the new vehicle? Sorry for the questions, I know nothing of purchasing a pickup!

You could buy it beforehand, but it wouldn/t make too much sense, as they need to be painted to match the car, and as there's always a few different shades of each color, that's something that should only happen once you've taken delivery.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

You can't really compare a pickup truck to an SUV - SUV's have the advantage of being able to place the rear (middle row) seats over the rear wheels, so it's not a fair comparison.

You could buy it beforehand, but it wouldn/t make too much sense, as they need to be painted to match the car, and as there's always a few different shades of each color, that's something that should only happen once you've taken delivery.

Oh sorry, I wasn't clear. I mean could it be a factory fit, given that aeroklas is the OEM supplier. Just wondering if these canopy covers are official accessories for the ranger. I would imagine the bed line would be.

Oh I just see a canopy is available for the old ranger on the ford website, so I imagine one will be available for the new ranger too.

Edited by culicine

Oh sorry, I wasn't clear. I mean could it be a factory fit, given that aeroklas is the OEM supplier. Just wondering if these canopy covers are official accessories for the ranger. I would imagine the bed line would be.

Oh I just see a canopy is available for the old ranger on the ford website, so I imagine one will be available for the new ranger too.

wildtracks come with factory bed liner

and i believe the casette curtain I saw was labelled aeroklas, fitted nicely between the wildtrack top tray rails and casette like 4-6 inches when curtain rolled up in casette

Nice :)

Let us know what they say for delivery date - there's a rumor being floated by Mellor's in Australia that production has been effected by floods, but we've been unable to confirm it with anyone locally. Originally, customer deliveries of the 2.2L models were slated to start in December.

Visited the main Ford dealer in Korat today. Was told that I could receive delivery by end of the year, unless they were notified of any delay due to the floods. As of now, they haven't been notified of any delay. I decided I have time to sell another car first, so I will wait a couple months to place the order, and maybe actually drive the 2.2L first before deciding whether to upgrade to 3.2.

wildtracks come with factory bed liner

and i believe the casette curtain I saw was labelled aeroklas, fitted nicely between the wildtrack top tray rails and casette like 4-6 inches when curtain rolled up in casette

That's some kind of roll-up canopy I guess. Would it be lockable and fully waterproof?