Fruit Trees

Hi there folks,

My wife and i have got a side piece of land that has been growing sugar cane for the past 2 years and would like to start growing a mixed fruit tree orchard there now instead.The fruit that i would like to grow (banana,papaya,mango,coconut,longan, tamarind and maybe pineapple) will not sold for profit,only shared between our family.Does anyone know of problem about any of these trees growing together?Will the land that we want to grow them on be influenceor make any problems from the previous years sugar cane plants?We have a small pig/duck/chicken farm also so we have plenty of fertilizer for the ground if needed.The soil to me look very dry and sandy...do any of the trees i mentioned earlier need any special soil conditions to make them grow well.

Many thanks in advance for any helpful comments.Shaggy

P.s we have also just dug out a pond in the corner of our land so we have good access to water.

post-126208-0-86991000-1304017930_thumb.

Start by thoroughly plowing under any sugar cane remnants.

Add as much manure and organic material you can get your hands on, plow it in than let the land rest month or two or three.

Meanwhile study on your growing choices environmental requirements. ( water requirements, spacing, fertilizer, types, ETC )

Plan how will you divide your property into wet zones, medium wet and mostly according to the weather patches. You will need all those to successfully grow the varieties you mention.

Maintenance will come later and yes with proper care you will be able to grow all those things together ( nothing will grow under a mature tamarind tree.)

good luck

Start by thoroughly plowing under any sugar cane remnants.

Add as much manure and organic material you can get your hands on, plow it in than let the land rest month or two or three.

Meanwhile study on your growing choices environmental requirements. ( water requirements, spacing, fertilizer, types, ETC )

Plan how will you divide your property into wet zones, medium wet and mostly according to the weather patches. You will need all those to successfully grow the varieties you mention.

Maintenance will come later and yes with proper care you will be able to grow all those things together ( nothing will grow under a mature tamarind tree.)

good luck

Many thanks soidog for your reply and advice.

The plowing will be done as soon as the rain comes because the ground is still too hard at the moment.

When you said about plowing under any sugar cane remnants was that to insure that no more sugar cane will sprout up again?

Nice tip about the tamarind,i will have to choose carefully where they are planted.

The maintenance will be done by my wife's sister and her husband because they asked me if they could grow chili in the empty rows between our trees and they would in return water and weed everywhere.

Shaggy