Rubber Trees

Posters have been reporting getting ฿18 to ฿22 for cupped rubber, yet these are the prices quoted in the Nation today, Auction prices at the central rubber market in Songkhla 26 December, 2014

Rubber sheet Bt56

Rubber ribbed smoked sheet No 3 Bt60.5 Latex at factories Bt43

Crumb rubber at factories Bt40

Somebody's making money off of rubber.

Edited by Issangeorge

Posters have been reporting getting ฿18 to ฿22 for cupped rubber, yet these are the prices quoted in the Nation today, Auction prices at the central rubber market in Songkhla 26 December, 2014

Rubber sheet Bt56

government 555. Not us
  • Like 1

Rubber sheet Bt56

Cup is not amongst those prices. Nobody "on the gate" will pay a seller 43 baht per kg/litre for liquid latex. I imagine "crumb" means "crepe". But yeah, i have heard sheet is slowly going up, which means every other type of rubber has to go up. The only people who are getting super-rich at the moment are the tire manufacturers.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Has anybody here ever sold the 'residue' (for lack of a better term) that builds up at the bottom of the rubber collection cups?

I can load a photo to explain, if needed?

What rate do you normally get when selling?

Cheers,

J

Hi All,

To further clarify my previous post, I'm referring to 'set yang', or 'เศษยาง'.

post-163026-1419937006594_thumb.jpg

post-163026-14199370231766_thumb.jpg

We usually collect set yang once annually.

For those of you that might have sold this type before, what price do you normally receive in your respective areas?

Happy New Year to all!

Cheers,

J

I have no rubber trees, thought about it a few years back, but saw everyone in the area was planting rubber, so figured when they were ready to tap there would be a surplus, and the price would go down. Looks like I was right. However yesterday I heard of a chap collecting rubber from the local growers, paying them ฿18 a kilogram, and then transporting it to the factory and getting ฿36 a kilogram. Is that plausible? If so might be away to make money off rubber.

Last night I spoke directly to the chap collecting cup rubber and selling it to the factory, he said that the profit he made depended on the day (the price at both ends fluctuated greatly), and the quality of the rubber. He said that on any particular day they might collect 2 to 10 tonnes, and sell it for ฿1,000 to ฿4,000 a tonne more than they paid, so some days he would barely breakeven, after transportation costs and other days he could make close to ฿40,000 after transportation costs. All in all a fairly profitable business.
  • Like 1

I am new to this forum. My wife's mother has a 20 rai rubber farm in northern Isan. Due to the drop

in price, she has stopped tapping about 6 months ago, and the trees are sitting idle. My wife also

has a rubber farm of 5 rai with 6 year old trees.....So at this point what is the general consensus about

what to do? Hold on and pray for higher prices ? Or move on ? Cut the trees

down and plant something else ? Just curious......

5 rai of rubber is not even hobby farming, one person can tap that in less than one hour. Even at decent prices, it would only make pocket money. 20 rai is a different kettle of fish, 2 people can comfortably tap it and will earn them a fair wage if the owners tap it themselves, ie 100/0 % split.

Re, above post and the 20 rai, if the mother and son/daughter/husband combo tap that as a two-man team, and the trees are half decent, it should still bring in 5k per week at current prices. Money not to be sniffed at for a 4-5 day week...

• Like 2

I am new to this forum. My wife's mother has a 20 rai rubber farm in northern Isan. Due to the drop

in price, she has stopped tapping about 6 months ago, and the trees are sitting idle. My wife also

has a rubber farm of 5 rai with 6 year old trees.....So at this point what is the general consensus about

what to do? Hold on and pray for higher prices ? Or move on ? Cut the trees

down and plant something else ? Just curious......

Mate, I would recomend going to your local kings project. Ask them if you can grow something in between the rubber trees. This will save you cutting down trees which at a young age are worth nothing much. We dont know, maybe rubber will pick up a bit . You already have good trees . The whole economy is not good at the moment.

If you try to grow something between the trees, be aware you will need waterduring the dry season as the trees will suck any moisture out of the soil. If you irrigate drip will be a much cheaper way to go. If you spray be careful all your proffits may go into your irrigation project. There are ways to do this cheaply.

Cheers Cobbler

Edited by cobbler

Oops. Just found an interesting bit of gossip. Thailand is now worried about the native australian plant, dandylion. It produces latex from the root. 2 acres produces 500kg.

Is harvested same as any root crop. Australian , and european farmers have already started farming this

Cheers Cobbler

Edited by cobbler

Oops. Just found an interesting bit of gossip. Thailand is now worried about the native australian plant, dandylion. It produces latex from the root. 2 acres produces 500kg.

Is harvested same as any root crop. Australian , and european farmers have already started farming this

Cheers Cobbler

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/20/us-dandelion-rubber-idUSKBN0GK0LN20140820

Aussie or a an import? I grew this weed in the UK, if I'd known lol.

Betel nuts 50 Baht/kg

Edited by Mosha

Mr mosha. Its an Aussie plant, or maybe it came with the convicts in there sh!t , they grow like a weed. I remember them when I was a kid.

We just sold 30bert per pilo for sheet. Cant see next year being better

Edited by cobbler
  • Like 1

Mr mosha. Its an Aussie plant, or maybe it came with the convicts in there sh!t , they grow like a weed. I remember them when I was a kid.

Well rape was a weed until the late 80s and now that's farmed. Seriously thinking about Betel Nut/marg now.

• Like 1

Well rape was a weed until the late 80s and now that's farmed. Seriously thinking about Betel Nut/marg now.

yes mate , same with st johns wart.

Not to be outdone.

Mosha have a look at durian. Have a guy here . Thai guy, he has 10 rai. Makes about 350k bart twice a year from it. Mind you the trees are about 20 years old or something. We have been mates with him for 4 years now. Need irigation in dry time. Good plant for mountain land .

Cheers Cobbler

hi guys,

can i ask you rubber men a quick qestion,

ive got chance to buy 24 rai of land, about half is rubber trees about 6inch diamiter, and some palm,

ive got other plans for the land, im not a rubber or palm man we are pig farmers,

would i be able to get a maco in and dig these trees up and re plant them round the perimiter

would they be ok,

if not i can use the wood but i like to see plenty of trees,

thanks

jake

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

hi guys,

can i ask you rubber men a quick qestion,

ive got chance to buy 24 rai of land, about half is rubber trees about 6inch diamiter, and some palm,

ive got other plans for the land, im not a rubber or palm man we are pig farmers,

would i be able to get a maco in and dig these trees up and re plant them round the perimiter

would they be ok,

if not i can use the wood but i like to see plenty of trees,

thanks

jake

Jake:

If you want to take out the trees, you could hire a bigger tractor or small backhoe to come and push them over.

When we get high winds the damn things will fall down quite easily, the roots are mostly surface with just two or three main branches. Break one of these and down she goes.

• Like 2