My Fried Chicken Guy Beats Your Fried Chicken Guy

realthaideal

... or fried chicken lady as the case may be. My favorite is down Hang Dong Rd. past Tesco, the ceramics place, and just after the Waruniwet area opposite the very end of the CM Airport enclosure. Many people would just recognize it as the string of food carts on the left(southbound)side of the street afew blocks up from the Transportation Department and kind of in the Lanna Int'l School neighborhood.

Anyway, there's a guy there who sells fried chicken that is just awesome ! It's definitely soaked in a marinade with plenty of salt and cracked corriander seeds, but as to what else I've got no idea. The place is a little out of the way for me, but I've tried to start up a fried chicken Friday ritual for myself as something to look forward to every week. He's also got spicy drummets and sticky rice for sale. Whereas most vendors are charging 40B/ kilo these days, his is only 30B and is high quality. He also does some hmu op - roasted pork belly - the same fatty/meaty cut that Thais usually use for hmu krob - crispy fried pork belly. It's tasty too, but I try to not get carried away with the fat consumption.

Sometimes I stop at the Islam lady on the corner right at the Waruniwet Neighborhood entrance and pick up Islam Fried Chicken. There's definitely a great taste there too. And I like that they have the good sense to put a generous pinch of crispy fried shallots in with the chicken too. Smells and tastes great.

But I'm not always south of the city. I'd love to know who's got a favorite chicken guy/lady elsewhere around town, like central to the city, up behind CMU, in front of CMU, Huay Kaew, Chang Puak area, etc. Would love to have a thread about all the great chicken places around town, though I'm sure some of us will have differing opinions on who is best.

Where's yours ?

I like the Midnight Chicken (ไก่ทอดเที่ยงคืน) place on Khampangdin Rd. Only opens after like 11PM at night. The food there is either really really good, or I am always really, really drunk. Maybe a combination of both.

Failing that, KFC also has some fantastic fried chicken :D

-Mestizo

Edited by Mestizo

ไก่ทอดหาดใหญ่ (gai tord hat yai) is pretty good. Located slightly before Chiang Mai gate, on the inside of the moat. It's small cart outside a lighting/electrical shop. Only during the day I think. Good fried onions and garlic on the side.

I prefer the rotisserie chickens myself (not 5 Dao). Don't know of any in town though, I get mine from a guy on canal road, out past the Samoeng junction.

cheers

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun RealThaiDeal,

Before the Rimping Nawarat branch, on the old Chiang-Mai Lamphun Road, was re-modelled, and back when this human-meat package still had living taste-buds, there was a sensational place for fried chicken in a little shop that was just opposite that Rimping branch. They put kapow (basil) in their fry: taste and texture was superb. Wonder what happened to those folks when the re-modelling happened ? Perhaps next time we're in that Rimping we'll ask.

Also, years ago there was a sensational place for 'gai yang' on the Siphum inner moat east-west road before you came to the intersection with Rachapakanai as you headed west from the north-east corner of the moat. Believe that place was run by people from Issarn. You stepped down from street level into their restaurant. Best 'gai yang' we ever had.

Thanks for the opportunity to imagine those flavors, again !

best, ~o:37;

The Boat- just before Chiang Mai University on the way to Doi Suthep.

Awesome fried chicken and cheap, was there for lunch today always busy which is a good sign..

Waaaaaay too greasy for my taste. But to each their own. Enjoy!

I might add that other things are good there. The 30 Baht cheeseburger is not bad.

Edited by elektrified

ไก่ทอดหาดใหญ่ (gai tord hat yai) is pretty good. Located slightly before Chiang Mai gate, on the inside of the moat. It's small cart outside a lighting/electrical shop. Only during the day I think. Good fried onions and garlic on the side.

I prefer the rotisserie chickens myself (not 5 Dao). Don't know of any in town though, I get mine from a guy on canal road, out past the Samoeng junction.

cheers

I agree this chicken is very good, maybe the best. The guy must make a tonne of cash.

cheers

I agree this chicken is very good, maybe the best. The guy must make a tonne of cash.

There is a place on Rakaeng road, and just off Chang Khlan road, where I buy barbequed chickens all the time when I'm in Chang Mai. They cost about 100 baht and I've never been disappointed yet. I'm not so sure about fried chicken though.

Joke Sompet restaurant is one block before you reach Chang Puek Gate when driving (on the inside of the moat). They serve a delicious chicken leg and thigh (roasted, not fried) with rice and vegetable for 55 baht. The place is clean and comfortable and the price is hard to beat :thumbsup:

There is a place on Rakaeng road, and just off Chang Khlan road, where I buy barbequed chickens all the time when I'm in Chang Mai. They cost about 100 baht and I've never been disappointed yet. I'm not so sure about fried chicken though.

Really like that place. It's Wichianburi style grilled chicken of course, not fried chicken but very well done. Good som tam etc. too.