Natural Swim Place Club

flakes

Hi CM residents,

Am not too much a fan of chlorine and or those salt water swim pools..I often get allergic reaction from it.

However i do love to swim a lot so is there a place arround CM where its good for swimming laps? and where the water is simply natural ?

Perhaps some lake or some sort of swim club in the open waters? or anything else ?

looking forward to your advice,

Flakes

I'd be very concerned about swimming in untreated fresh water here, due to concerns about various parasites that inhabit the fresh water of Thailand. I'm not very fond of chlorine or salt water pools, either, but I find that if I shower immediately upon exiting those pools I can avoid rashes. Rashes from treated pool water is better than the other stuff you can pick up from fresh water swimming here.

Here's a description of one of the less lethal parasites commonly found in fresh water lakes here:

http://dermnetnz.org...mmers-itch.html

And here's a more complete description of others from this source http://www.indexmund...s_diseases.html :

water contact diseases acquired through swimming or wading in freshwater lakes, streams, and rivers:

Leptospirosis - bacterial disease that affects animals and humans; infection occurs through contact with water, food, or soil contaminated by animal urine; symptoms include high fever, severe headache, vomiting, jaundice, and diarrhea; untreated, the disease can result in kidney damage, liver failure, meningitis, or respiratory distress; fatality rates are low but left untreated recovery can take months.

Schistosomiasis - caused by parasitic trematode flatworm Schistosoma; fresh water snails act as intermediate host and release larval form of parasite that penetrates the skin of people exposed to contaminated water; worms mature and reproduce in the blood vessels, liver, kidneys, and intestines releasing eggs, which become trapped in tissues triggering an immune response; may manifest as either urinary or intestinal disease resulting in decreased work or learning capacity; mortality, while generally low, may occur in advanced cases usually due to bladder cancer; endemic in 74 developing countries with 80% of infected people living in sub-Saharan Africa; humans act as the reservoir for this parasite.

Most of the well-educated Thai people we know won't let their kids swim in fresh water.

Edited by NancyL

I'd be very concerned about swimming in untreated fresh water here, due to concerns about various parasites that inhabit the fresh water of Thailand. I'm not very fond of chlorine or salt water pools, either, but I find that if I shower immediately upon exiting those pools I can avoid rashes. Rashes from treated pool water is better than the other stuff you can pick up from fresh water swimming here.

Here's a description of one of the less lethal parasites commonly found in fresh water lakes here:

http://dermnetnz.org...mmers-itch.html

And here's a more complete description of others from this source http://www.indexmund...s_diseases.html :

water contact diseases acquired through swimming or wading in freshwater lakes, streams, and rivers:

Leptospirosis - bacterial disease that affects animals and humans; infection occurs through contact with water, food, or soil contaminated by animal urine; symptoms include high fever, severe headache, vomiting, jaundice, and diarrhea; untreated, the disease can result in kidney damage, liver failure, meningitis, or respiratory distress; fatality rates are low but left untreated recovery can take months.

Schistosomiasis - caused by parasitic trematode flatworm Schistosoma; fresh water snails act as intermediate host and release larval form of parasite that penetrates the skin of people exposed to contaminated water; worms mature and reproduce in the blood vessels, liver, kidneys, and intestines releasing eggs, which become trapped in tissues triggering an immune response; may manifest as either urinary or intestinal disease resulting in decreased work or learning capacity; mortality, while generally low, may occur in advanced cases usually due to bladder cancer; endemic in 74 developing countries with 80% of infected people living in sub-Saharan Africa; humans act as the reservoir for this parasite.

Most of the well-educated Thai people we know won't let their kids swim in fresh water.

Almost 40 years ago, I contracted what I thought was "Trench Foot" while is the military in this part of the world. I assumed that this was from the constant wading through rice paddies, canals etc.

This trench foot causes my feet to dry out, the skin cracks and nothing will make it go away, sometimes I can't even walk from the pain! After a week or so, it disappears for a few more years. I have been to doctors in the West who have tried to remidy this condition but nothing seems to work.

I would use caution when swimming in the lakes. I do know that my skin condition was caused by a never ending emersion in water where swimming is a totally different set of conditions, but still be carefull.

Beware

Good idea to check with a local doctor, flakes. Just be sure you're taking to a doctor, not a receptionist or some other hospital employee. We know some medical doctors here and they don't let their kids swim in fresh water.

Swimming in a fresh water stream can not be any worse than riding down Huay Kaew or any other street during a rain and having what looks and smells like raw sewage spraying up and down my legs.

Obkhan park is a nice place for a swim, always surprised at how tiring it is swimming up stream to the falls. Not sure why, but yet to see anyone else swim much past the big pool where the cliff jumping occurs.

If you don't mind the travel time, Mae Ngat and Mae Kuang reservoirs offer wonder swimming waters - just don't except nice beaches and life guards!

Kids I know have gotten a skin itch, from a parasite of some kind, swimming in Huay Thung Tao. We have swam there a dozen plus times a year, never from shore though, and have had no problem. Try not to swallow.

Mae Ngat/Mgut is our fav

P3230026.JPG

Once around the bend in the river, the current makes for good exercise.

IMGP2243.JPG

Cheers - doing my bit since Mr Forbes has returned to his home waters......