Eee Pad Transformer

$399 (USD) from Newegg, free shipping (in the U.S.) and no sales tax.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834230018

Then add $57. shipping from the US and what would the customs/import tax cost???

I posted the price/link more for reference than anything else. But for those of us who go back often, and hand-carry goodies back, it is also an option. I return June 29 - July 5 and am thinking about a bringing a tablet back. I like Newegg as I can avoid the 6.25% sales tax in my home state.

$399 (USD) from Newegg, free shipping (in the U.S.) and no sales tax.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834230018

Then add $57. shipping from the US and what would the customs/import tax cost???

I posted the price/link more for reference than anything else. But for those of us who go back often, and hand-carry goodies back, it is also an option. I return June 29 - July 5 and am thinking about a bringing a tablet back. I like Newegg as I can avoid the 6.25% sales tax in my home state.

Of course that's the best way to do it as the US has the best prices... If I was to go home I would do the same

• 2 weeks later...

There is a 3G version of the Eee Pad Transformer planned to be launched in the UK August.

ah good that's the one i'd be looking at... my friend brought one back from USA and says he has problems finding True WIFI hotspots when on the move!

I was told by a guy at the nearby IT retail joint that the Transformer is now available at Panthip -- can anyone confirm?

(I live rather far from there and am especially busy these days so it's not a small thing for me to go just on the chance they are there).

I was told by a guy at the nearby IT retail joint that the Transformer is now available at Panthip -- can anyone confirm?

(I live rather far from there and am especially busy these days so it's not a small thing for me to go just on the chance they are there).

I got mine from invadeit.com.. They are price competitive and very helpful getting me some additional cables I needed

3G is 3G any device that is 3G compatible will work anywhere there is 3G service

Simply not true! The frequency of the 3G device and service provider does matter.

There are 3G frequencies of 850 Mhz, 900 Mhz, 1900 Mhz, and 2100 Mhz. Most devices only support two or three of the 3G frequencies. I haven't seen a device that can support all four of the 3G frequencies.

For example here in Thailand:

True (which currently provides the largest area of 3G coverage), uses the 850 Mhz for it's frequency. Many devices sold do not support 3G 850 Mhz frequency. Hence if you have device that does not support the 850Mhz frequency, it simply will won't work with True.

AIS uses 3G 900 Mhz.

TOT uses 3G 1900 Mhz.

AFIK, the 3G 2100 Mhz frequency has not been allocated in Thailand yet.

Most countries outside of Thailand and the US do not use the 3G 850 Mhz frequency.

You must select a device that supports the 3G frequency of the carrier you plan on using, in order to use 3G with that carrier.

Edited by BB1950

From zdnet.com:

As the tablet with the most units shipped to date next to the iPad according to DigiTimes, the Asus Eee Pad Transformer is emerging as the sleeper hit in the tablet market so far.

When I got the chance to briefly play with the Transformer at PepCom in New York City, it felt like a solid machine with a sophisticated, metallic finish. It certainly didn’t feel as delicate as the ultra-light Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G, which is a good thing for those who need to travel with their slates.

• 1 month later...

My son bought a Transformer in the US and loves it. My other choice was a Toshiba Thrive, which is not available here. He did a lot of comparison between the two (he works in IT) and went with the Asus.

As stated earlier, invadeit has it for about 19,300 (with keyboard). Seems to me to be too high. I wrote them an email and they said that was the price direct from Asus.

I would suggest waiting. With the announcement from Asus about the Transformer 2, I'm waiting to see if that drives the price of the original one down. I think 14-15K, including keyboard, would be in the ballpark.

Major failing no USB ports (unless you pay another $150 for the keyboard)

The Acer Icona is virtually the same but has a mini and a full size USB port.

I don't care about USB. I need SD, preferably full size. I've got a lot of ebooks, and a big reason I want a tablet is for the ability to render PDF files in a readable format (including scanned documents).

The other nice thing about the transformer is it has a user-replaceable battery. If you're away from power for awhile, or on the move, it's easy to carry a spare, charged battery. Also makes it easy to deal with when the battery finally gives up.

I had my eye on the Iconia before all the others hit the market. I think it's high at 16,900 for the 32GB.

Major failing no USB ports (unless you pay another $150 for the keyboard)

The Acer Icona is virtually the same but has a mini and a full size USB port.

I don't care about USB. I need SD, preferably full size. I've got a lot of ebooks, and a big reason I want a tablet is for the ability to render PDF files in a readable format (including scanned documents).

The other nice thing about the transformer is it has a user-replaceable battery. If you're away from power for awhile, or on the move, it's easy to carry a spare, charged battery. Also makes it easy to deal with when the battery finally gives up.

I had my eye on the Iconia before all the others hit the market. I think it's high at 16,900 for the 32GB.

Plus Transformer had an ISP screen (same as iPad), which is much better than the Iconia. I too am interested in a Transformer but will wait for V.2, which is only a few months away and compare it with the Win ultra-book notebooks, which should be out by then.

Edited by FarangBuddha

I picked up mine the other day, complete with keyboard. Performs well and does streaming video., but still has the limitations of Android ie, is like using a mobile with a very big screen.

And what limitations are you referring too...it is a tablet "computer" after all and not a fully-fledged notebook or desktop computer ;) These devices are primarily designed for content consumption and not for content creation. For that purpose, I think they fulfill that function quite well. My main concern about Android tablets is that for those with USB connections, I have read they do not support external HDs larger than 1TB, also support for other peripherals like keyboards and mice is sometimes lacking. (Not a problem for you with the Transformer is you got the package.) Also I have heard reports that there may be problems reading/writing NTFS (basically Windows formatted) hard-drives...but older FAT32 and newer EXFAT formatted drives are ok.

I picked up mine the other day, complete with keyboard. Performs well and does streaming video., but still has the limitations of Android ie, is like using a mobile with a very big screen.

And what limitations are you referring too...it is a tablet "computer" after all and not a fully-fledged notebook or desktop computer ;) These devices are primarily designed for content consumption and not for content creation. For that purpose, I think they fulfill that function quite well. My main concern about Android tablets is that for those with USB connections, I have read they do not support external HDs larger than 1TB, also support for other peripherals like keyboards and mice is sometimes lacking. (Not a problem for you with the Transformer is you got the package.) Also I have heard reports that there may be problems reading/writing NTFS (basically Windows formatted) hard-drives...but older FAT32 and newer EXFAT formatted drives are ok.

No one is criticising it's limitations.

I hooked mine to a 1.5tb drive and it worked fine.

No one is criticising it's limitations.

I hooked mine to a 1.5tb drive and it worked fine.

Yes, I believe it was a software issue with early versions of Honeycomb (V. 3.0). The Transformer comes with V. 3.1 installed I believe and this addressed many of the HD and driver issues with external peripherals.

Edited by FarangBuddha

• 3 months later...

Just wondering if any one has an ASUS Eee Pad Transformer and can add any more up to date comments .

Thanks thumbsup.gif

Of what nature?

I tried Skype video calling on mine and it now works, but was a bit unreliable.

Just wanted to get some general personal feed back from ASUS Eee Pad Transformer owners, are you happy with your purchase, does it perform as expected, how could it be improved , are there any surprises now you have used the machine for a while, if you were to buy another Tab , would you buy the same model / make , Etc wai.gif