New Cars

If you buy a new car in Europe it looses a large amount the first year. Is this the case in Thailand ??

Se below uk depreciation Values each year on a couple of cars

Honda Jazz Hatchback 1.4 ES 5dr £13,495 £8,850 £7,225 £5,900 £4,700

Nissan X-Trail 4x4 2.0 dCi 173 Acenta 5dr £25,280 £13,700 £11,200 £9,100 £7,275

My own experience with new car ownership in Thailand has been a depreciation of about 10% p.a.

(I sold my first car in Thailand to a dealer...if I had sold it directly on a retail/consumer basis I believe my depreciation would only have been about 7% p.a.)

The loss of value is quite low in Thailand.

I own a Mazda 3, 2.0 litres, bought 2008 with 90'000 kilometres now. I payed 2008 just something above 1'000'000 THB. Mazda would pay me now THB 650'000 when buying a new car.

Some brands perfrom better than others, and the more expensive the vehicle, the faster the depreciation.

e.g. a base Model AT VIOS will lose ~20% in the first two years, the top model S will lose 25%, a base 2.0L Camry will lose 25%, the top model V6 40+% etc.

does the percentage loss differ between base model manual vs base model auto; e.g. the jazz. I think the manual would be harder to sell, hence the losses would be relatively greater. That is, would the initial savings on the purchase price (and better fuel consumption) of the manual version be more than lost when reselling..? MRO?...

ooohhhhh yeah. Was told that the value goes down as soon as the car becomes your property, i.e. the moment you take ownership. Apparently even at 0KM it's considered a second hand. Make sense in a way, of course it'll go down further with mileage on the vehicle.

<br />ooohhhhh yeah. Was told that the value goes down as soon as the car becomes your property, i.e. the moment you take ownership. Apparently even at 0KM it's considered a second hand. Make sense in a way, of course it'll go down further with mileage on the vehicle.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Second hand because a dealer can sell at a premium, you probably can't. If you own a car yard then you could still consider it new.

Some brands perfrom better than others, and the more expensive the vehicle, the faster the depreciation.

e.g. a base Model AT VIOS will lose ~20% in the first two years, the top model S will lose 25%, a base 2.0L Camry will lose 25%, the top model V6 40+% etc.

When your Cayenne is down to 300,000 give me a shout will ya, my very, very good cyber friend. :lol:

ooohhhhh yeah. Was told that the value goes down as soon as the car becomes your property, i.e. the moment you take ownership. Apparently even at 0KM it's considered a second hand. Make sense in a way, of course it'll go down further with mileage on the vehicle.

That has always been the case, unless it's something like certain ferrari models e.g.

In 2005 bought truck for 861,000, when I looked at the insurance they valued it at 650,000, I had only drove it about 15 km.:lol:

So me rarely having to complain :whistling: we paid a premium and topped up the value.

When your Cayenne is down to 300,000 give me a shout will ya, my very, very good cyber friend. :lol:

Can't imagine I'd keep it for more than 2 or 3 years, at which point it'll still be worth 4.5-5.0M (if TH doesn't go to a carbon based excise tax system - if they do that I'll make money) - I'll pass on the details for the next owner though - if they keep it for another 20 years or so it might hit that kind of money :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

That has always been the case, unless it's something like certain ferrari models e.g.

In 2005 bought truck for 861,000, when I looked at the insurance they valued it at 650,000, I had only drove it about 15 km.:lol:

So me rarely having to complain :whistling: we paid a premium and topped up the value.

Insurance companies normally only offer 80% of market value (up to 90% if a good customer and you push hard enough). So what they were saying is your 861K truck was worth 812K @ 15km travelled.

Can't imagine I'd keep it for more than 2 or 3 years, at which point it'll still be worth 4.5-5.0M (if TH doesn't go to a carbon based excise tax system - if they do that I'll make money) - I'll pass on the details for the next owner though - if they keep it for another 20 years or so it might hit that kind of money :D

Pics, MRO, pics! Is it stock?

So MRO, you would beat me anyday at Parking, a wise choise.Is it the Diesel Tiptronc.I took the Rover on a better leasing deal,plus i carry Equipment, but apart from that they are both Beautiful Beasties.When i see a March on a rainy day park so easy, i sometimes don't think so.:jap:

Car is filthy after having a bit of an excursion yesterday - will responsd with pics after it gets a wash..

In any case, it's black Hybrid S - factory options fitted are: 21" 911 Turbo II wheels, panaroma roof, 18-way sports electric chairs, brushed alloy interior details, Bose audio, running boards, park assist+reversing camera, bi-xenon lights, air suspension and carbon brakes (and probably something else I'm forgetting - the option list was huge)

No mods yet - scared they might effect resale, and not yet bored with it's standard 380HP ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Great information thank you, it appears the the depreciation is still there but not as bad as here, second hand cars hold value if kept well maintained.

Still think for our first purchase we should buy a good second hand car / truck

Thanks again, off to buy a Range Rover Sport !!!

Car is filthy after having a bit of an excursion yesterday - will responsd with pics after it gets a wash..

In any case, it's black Hybrid S - factory options fitted are: 21" 911 Turbo II wheels, panaroma roof, 18-way sports electric chairs, brushed alloy interior details, Bose audio, running boards, park assist+reversing camera, bi-xenon lights, air suspension and carbon brakes (and probably something else I'm forgetting - the option list was huge)

No mods yet - scared they might effect resale, and not yet bored with it's standard 380HP ;)

Makes my 3.2 V8 Oiler look a bit geriatric.:D