Convertible Sports Car

BarnicaleBob

I have a friend moving to Thailand in a few months and he wants to buy a convertible sports car after he arrives. I don't think I have seen more than one or two since I moved here so I know they must be a rarity here. Anyone know where would be a good place to look for one?

I have seen a new covertible Mercedes in a garage on the road from the moat to the Airport on the left.....hope you mate has deep pockets

I think it was a Mercedes E-Class 250CGi which new is 5.2M Baht (GBP106,000), same car in the UK is around GBP38,000

or maybe a Mini Cooper Covertible? In Thailand 2.8M Baht (GBP57,000), in UK around GBP18,000!

You get the idea.....ANY new (and 2nd hand) imported car is expensive!

Sports car.. difficult. But most pick-up trucks and Jeep-like vehicles are built on a strong ladder frame, so easy to rip the roof off and still have something that's drivable. ;)

steigervert.a.jpg

Very true Winnie. On the conversion kit I am looking at, before you take off the roof, stiffeners need to be installed underneath the car. Most Factory convertibles use a box frame, but my kit uses a uni-body doner (Datsun 240Z-280Z).

Thanks for the ideas about kit cars or conversions, I am hoping while I am waiting for my friend to arrive someone might find a late model used convertible for sale. Dieblo, just wondering how much the kit like that costs and what are all the types of cars it will work on?

Thanks for the ideas about kit cars or conversions, I am hoping while I am waiting for my friend to arrive someone might find a late model used convertible for sale. Dieblo, just wondering how much the kit like that costs and what are all the types of cars it will work on?

The body kit is around $5000. This particular kit only fits the Datsun 240, 260 or 280Z. Without figuring the donar car into the equation, with engine mods, chassis mods and interior, I would be out less the $15000. The price of the donar can range from $1000 to $6000 for the condition that I am looking for, which is basically a good engine and something for the kit to attach to when installed.post-21996-0-76298400-1307622498_thumb.j

There are a number of convertible Mercedes about of all models...

A few different year BMW's.......... in a garage in Bangkok a couple of weeks ago there was a brand new 320i E93 in the showroom,

Appears the most popular convertible here is Peugeot CC again all model years, late model + loads here is the 307 CC, and seen a few 308 CC here.

There are a few VW's convertible here, most are the new type Beetle, a few different year model Golfs

There are a few others most are many millions of baht more

I've been waiting for someone to mention Mazda's MX5 2 seater convertible. I live in Chiang Mai & own one, and have seen a few others around. I don't want to sell mine. Reliable and practical. Still, you will be paying more here in Thailand than in US (huge taxes for imports) which will carry over if buying used. There was an MX5 club in Bangkok (perhaps you could google for it) and the members may know of a used one for sale.

If you are serious, advertise on tv classified that you are looking for a convertible.

I've been waiting for someone to mention Mazda's MX5 2 seater convertible. I live in Chiang Mai & own one, and have seen a few others around. I don't want to sell mine. Reliable and practical. Still, you will be paying more here in Thailand than in US (huge taxes for imports) which will carry over if buying used. There was an MX5 club in Bangkok (perhaps you could google for it) and the members may know of a used one for sale.

If you are serious, advertise on tv classified that you are looking for a convertible.

Yes but the price... Peugeot 306 convertible is imported same as the MX 5. yet a Pug 1998 is around 600k but the MX5 is closer to 1 million.. for very little more you can have the CLK 230 Benz CABRIOLET

Newer 307 1.5 million and MX5 near 2 million ?? for the same year..... [yet new the Mazda was 1 million less then the 307 convertible] you can get the Benz CLK convertible around this price

Buying brand new then the Mazda makes sense as much cheaper and will hold it value if going to keep for a long time, only the Pug has 4 seats and an electric steel folding roof, New the Benz CLK or SLK is is well over a million more.

I have a BMW 325i Convertable and I regret it a bit actually. For a car model that should be Baht 3 mil, I paid 5.4 mil just for the convertable roof.

Anyway if you are looking to buy one there's a new luxury car showroom on Sirimangkalajarn Rd. called "Car Bella". My mum ordered her Audi there.

Anyone tried importing one? I've looked in to it and seems that even with all the taxes there'd still be significant saving on the price in Thailand. It's just that potential to get Burned hard with your car stuck in customs.

Thought about moving it to a neighbouring country as a non import ie say its for a tour around the region and then drive it into Thailand and register later; or atleast if need to pay then the car is on your hands and can turn around and go if not reasonable rates, much stronger bargaining position than it being locked up somewhere in the port.

Anyone know about tax on parts? Thought about getting an old BMW e30 at about 100k bht and modifying it as labour costs here are so cheap I think could create a real nice car for around 5-8 thousand pound.

I wouldn't want a convertable in Thailand. Way too dusty, hot and strong sun

Anyone tried importing one? I've looked in to it and seems that even with all the taxes there'd still be significant saving on the price in Thailand. It's just that potential to get Burned hard with your car stuck in customs.

Thought about moving it to a neighbouring country as a non import ie say its for a tour around the region and then drive it into Thailand and register later; or atleast if need to pay then the car is on your hands and can turn around and go if not reasonable rates, much stronger bargaining position than it being locked up somewhere in the port.

Anyone know about tax on parts? Thought about getting an old BMW e30 at about 100k bht and modifying it as labour costs here are so cheap I think could create a real nice car for around 5-8 thousand pound.

I wouldn't want a convertable in Thailand. Way too dusty, hot and strong sun

I have an attorney researching this for me, as we speak. For my kit conversion, I only need to bring in a body, which I am attempting to do as "Spare Parts". The same with the engine etc... The question becomes, once completed, can the vehicle be registered.

^ I know a thai guy who imports bikes from japan and then registers them once here. So I would hope a car can be. Reckon a bit of cash can sort it out if vehicle is already inside, much less than duties for sure.

Please let me know what result your research comes up with if you don't mind.

I also thought about the same thing but for custom chopper- ie starting of with just a frame and importing bits individually then building it here.

^ I know a thai guy who imports bikes from japan and then registers them once here. So I would hope a car can be. Reckon a bit of cash can sort it out if vehicle is already inside, much less than duties for sure.

Please let me know what result your research comes up with if you don't mind.

I also thought about the same thing but for custom chopper- ie starting of with just a frame and importing bits individually then building it here.

I have a friend that just got caught trying this routine with a Harley..... It would have worked except the Harley dealer sent all 5 boxes/crates at the same time, they all reached customs in Bangkok on the same day! He ended up paying ALL the duty :lol: after going down to Bangkok to do some explaining.....

O dear; would seem obvious to spread them out.

If I did it I'd have it sent separately bit by bit over a few months to a couple of familly members with proper thai names (as in not the missus coz she has my surname).

I am building a Speedster kit car, based on an existing Thai registered Beetle chassis.

The key is to have an existing chassis c/w blue book, and when I looked into this, getting a new book for a chassis imported as parts is impossible if you are not connected.

Frankly the Speedster was not my first choice in kit cars, however once you need to use a car with an existing blue book, the selection of suitable, available, donor cars narrows considerably.

I am building a Speedster kit car, based on an existing Thai registered Beetle chassis.

The key is to have an existing chassis c/w blue book, and when I looked into this, getting a new book for a chassis imported as parts is impossible if you are not connected.

Frankly the Speedster was not my first choice in kit cars, however once you need to use a car with an existing blue book, the selection of suitable, available, donor cars narrows considerably.

Would one of the requirements also be to document the conversion? Because you will be showing up to extend insurance and road tax with a blue book that says 'Volkswagen 1300" (or whatever), but that looks very different. Should probably hold on to the original panels that are removed, and take pictures of the conversion?

As for the engine change, this is allowed of course but this needs documentation as well, specifically also that VAT was paid on the replacement engine. Same with the paint job if it involves a color change (likely).