Family Accomidations Near International Schools

Sakeopete

My wife and I have been discussing international school options the last few months and we are leaning heavily towards schools in CM. Mostly because of the climate, Bangkok is not an option and the Eastern Seaboard isn't very appealing either.

I would like advice regarding a hotel or guesthouse that has a play area and pool suitable for young children (ofc they will be supervised in the pool) near LIS. We would like to spend a few days touring the schools and neighborhoods near them.

Thanks

Edited by Sakeopete

the few pools i have been to in CM do NOT provide supervision... enjoy at your own risk... perhaps others know of some, but thais just aren't big on that sort of thing.

Sorry maybe my post is unclear, I meant that we would supervise our own children in the pool area so a pool with a kiddies section is not needed.

I cannot think of a guesthouse/hotel near Lanna school. For ease of travel, I would suggest the inside the moat area (downtown and there are several with pools which should fit the need. It is about 6 or 7 kilometer from the downtown area to Lanna via Hang dong road.

To comment on your original question, there are any number of hotels and (larger) guest houses with swimming pools. Regarding access to the schools, the schools (an exception is CMIS) are on the periphery and on different sides (N,S, and W) of the city. The ring roads are useful to get to them. None of the schools (I think APIS would be the furthest to go.) is longer than 45 minutes away from the heart of town. Renting a car might be a good idea.

I regret to say you are definitely not coming to visit international schools at a good time. They are not in session! Few people will be around. There are some modest summer programs in some places, but you really ought to wait until late September or early October when the schools will be more settled in the next academic year.

In the meantime, the school web sites have been improving. They are all worth a look: for what is posted and what is NOT posted. For one highly important thing, information on staff is very gradually becoming more complete, but there are significant differences among schools on what you learn about administrator and teacher training, credentials and experience. Judge for yourself. Is information complete? Are teachers credentialed to teach? Are they teaching what they were trained to teach, in what disciplines and at what grade levels? What and where is their experience teaching.

To comment on your original question, there are any number of hotels and (larger) guest houses with swimming pools. Regarding access to the schools, the schools (an exception is CMIS) are on the periphery and on different sides (N,S, and W) of the city. The ring roads are useful to get to them. None of the schools (I think APIS would be the furthest to go.) is longer than 45 minutes away from the heart of town. Renting a car might be a good idea.

I regret to say you are definitely not coming to visit international schools at a good time. They are not in session! Few people will be around. There are some modest summer programs in some places, but you really ought to wait until late September or early October when the schools will be more settled in the next academic year.

In the meantime, the school web sites have been improving. They are all worth a look: for what is posted and what is NOT posted. For one highly important thing, information on staff is very gradually becoming more complete, but there are significant differences among schools on what you learn about administrator and teacher training, credentials and experience. Judge for yourself. Is information complete? Are teachers credentialed to teach? Are they teaching what they were trained to teach, in what disciplines and at what grade levels? What and where is their experience teaching.

Thanks for the informative reply, actually I wasn't planning on coming until fall I just wanted information so I can start planning. I will be driving from Bangkok and I have GPS so should be able to find hotels and schools.

What I would really like, that seems to be absent on TV is first hand opinions of these schools from people who have children attending them. Information from teachers who work for the schools would be beneficial as well. I know there will be some bias from parents and teachers but some first hand information is better than none.

Your last paragraph is spot on but getting that information is not so easy especially in Thailand where everything is dressed up to look nice but usually not so good on the inside. That's why I wish parents would be more forthcoming about the schools their children attend.

What I would really like, that seems to be absent on TV is first hand opinions of these schools from people who have children attending them. Information from teachers who work for the schools would be beneficial as well. I know there will be some bias from parents and teachers but some first hand information is better than none.

I would say that next to Food threads, the Chiangmai forum always has one thread or another dealing with the local schools, this includes Thai, Bilingual and International schools. Try using search...... works great.

Edited by Diablo Bob

I would say that next to Food threads, the Chiangmai forum always has one thread or another dealing with the local schools, this includes Thai, Bilingual and International schools. Try using search...... works great.

LOL Bob I have been a TV member nearly as long as you have do you honestly think I didn't use the search first before writing a post. There is plenty of threads but little up to date information especially first hand opinions from parents with children still in school.

LOL Bob I have been a TV member nearly as long as you have do you honestly think I didn't use the search first before writing a post. There is plenty of threads but little up to date information especially first hand opinions from parents with children still in school.

The topic started by gonzo on CMIS has a lot of the info your looking for. A lot of parents made comments on the tropic and related info which you are looking for.

The topic started by gonzo on CMIS has a lot of the info your looking for. A lot of parents made comments on the tropic and related info which you are looking for.

I have read the thread it has good input but the thread mostly focuses on the school's administration rather than the quality of teaching and classroom environment.

Out of curiosity, I quick searched using the terms NIS,CMIS, APIS and PTIS. Adding "Lanna International School," I got a total of 312 hits, certainly including some duplicates. "Prem" and "LIST" aren't very discriminating search terms. Didn't bother with "Grace International School" or the German school, which name I can't recall right away.

Anyway, after reading such threads for several years, I agree with you that you won't come with much parent comment of the type you are seeking. There are occasional school boosters, and some bad mouthing but little thoughtful parent input beyond "My child is very happy;" "The staff and teachers are friendly."

There have been some exceptions, especially when a parent has become angry with one school and switched to another, but generally the conversations reflect concerns with management and cost, not whether the educational approach is effective. A few school "shoppers" seem entranced with swimming pools rather than class size, teacher qualifications, et cetera. Some posts are just disputatious. So, I guess, you are really barking up the wrong threads.

Have you thought to be put in touch with any of the parent organizations of the schools? You'd more than likely end up talking with cheerleaders, but involved parents could be helpful. Call the schools.

Edited by Mapguy

Out of curiosity, I quick searched using the terms NIS,CMIS, APIS and PTIS. Adding "Lanna International School," I got a total of 312 hits, certainly including some duplicates. "Prem" and "LIST" aren't very discriminating search terms. Didn't bother with "Grace International School" or the German school, which name I can't recall right away.

Anyway, after reading such threads for several years, I agree with you that you won't come with much parent comment of the type you are seeking. There are occasional school boosters, and some bad mouthing but little thoughtful parent input beyond "My child is very happy;" "The staff and teachers are friendly."

There have been some exceptions, especially when a parent has become angry with one school and switched to another, but generally the conversations reflect concerns with management and cost, not whether the educational approach is effective. A few school "shoppers" seem entranced with swimming pools rather than class size, teacher qualifications, et cetera. Some posts are just disputatious. So, I guess, you are really barking up the wrong threads.

Have you thought to be put in touch with any of the parent organizations of the schools? You'd more than likely end up talking with cheerleaders, but involved parents could be helpful. Call the schools.

Parent organizations is a good idea, thanks.