PM Abhisit Asserts Democrat Rally At Ratchaprasong Will Be 'Constructive'

webfact

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that Abhisit pitched his speech as well as he could have. Trying to cosy up too much with the reds/PTP in pursuit of reconciliation at this stage of the game would have smacked of desperation and done nothing for his loyal followers, whilst at the same time he didn't go to the lengths that Suthep did in his accusations.

The one thing that struck me was that he said all those who died last year were innocent and that (according to Fredrickson's translation) he felt he had done wrong (presumably because of this). It takes serious balls for someone in his position to say that.

It's a shame he might lose the election for issues concerning more entrenched attitudes than his political policies and individual track record can overturn, but that's partly the legacy inherited by an Thai Prime Minister.

If he loses, I hope he stays in the game.

He was a good Oxbridge debater but as we know most Uni debaters are wonderful until they hit the real world, and the brown smelly stuff floats over their shoes. He was never elected by the populace and never will be, he was placed in power. Having a rally here was not the most wise moves but I hope all went off peaceably. Not a good move in the strategy of one who wants to become PM

Who here knows if he was a good debater at Oxford. If he was anything like the Thai kids I went to school with, they just cowered in the corner.

The weakness in the Dems is the old guard, maybe Chuan excepted,

FYI, Khun Chuan is one of the dem's biggest old guards.

He's also an truly iconic model of NATO - no action, talk only.

What the point of having a clean leader who never do anything and stand idle while the greedy bastards in his cabinet are corrupting the country.

Voters are not looking for a perfect man. That just doesnt exist, cannot exist under the current social structure.

Dem gov only proved one thing. They are just as corrupted as Thaksin gov.

Their policy are poorly copied and executed worse.

The dems was trying hard at bullying Thaksin & his supporters during the last 2 years.

And now they are taking about reconcile at the killing zone ?. This is pretty much insulting & spur hatred even more. I 'm sure this night'll please dems' voters.

But gaining more votes ? Dont think so.

Edited by SkyHigh

Yeah, but that didn't last did it?

And the number of shoppers' willing to risk it' was greatly diminished.

Nothing to do with economic downturn then?

No it was to do with a huge amount of angry red shirts in the area. Some of you people are unbeliveable. Are you willing to admit that a large number of protestors who had built barricades and had armed men in their midst might turn shoppers off. Would you be willing to shop in the same cicumstances.

No it was to do with a huge amount of angry red shirts in the area. Some of you people are unbeliveable. Are you willing to admit that a large number of protestors who had built barricades and had armed men in their midst might turn shoppers off. Would you be willing to shop in the same cicumstances.

You have never been to Sheffield on a derby day have you? I felt very little personal threat when I was there as they said Farang. They are not interested in us.

You have never been to Sheffield on a derby day have you? I felt very little personal threat when I was there as they said Farang. They are not interested in us.

Because of the red shirt and bandana you were wearing?

I'm from Leeds so I know what Sheffield is about..

Your comment that they are not interested in us is unbelievable.. It shows your complete lack of knowledge. Yes they are not interested in us but are the only people who shop their farang. The vast majority of people who shop there are Thais and yes the red shirts were very interested in them.

Edited by Throatwobbler

It seems to me that Abhisit pitched his speech as well as he could have. Trying to cosy up too much with the reds/PTP in pursuit of reconciliation at this stage of the game would have smacked of desperation and done nothing for his loyal followers, whilst at the same time he didn't go to the lengths that Suthep did in his accusations.

The one thing that struck me was that he said all those who died last year were innocent and that (according to Fredrickson's translation) he felt he had done wrong (presumably because of this). It takes serious balls for someone in his position to say that.

It's a shame he might lose the election for issues concerning more entrenched attitudes than his political policies and individual track record can overturn, but that's partly the legacy inherited by an Thai Prime Minister.

If he loses, I hope he stays in the game.

He was a good Oxbridge debater but as we know most Uni debaters are wonderful until they hit the real world, and the brown smelly stuff floats over their shoes. He was never elected by the populace and never will be, he was placed in power. Having a rally here was not the most wise moves but I hope all went off peaceably. Not a good move in the strategy of one who wants to become PM

Who here knows if he was a good debater at Oxford. If he was anything like the Thai kids I went to school with, they just cowered in the corner.

Not sure how good he was but he was head of a debating club while he was there.

Aha, found a live feed from what appears to be someone's webcam, on some channel called Asia ???. Feed is about the same as Skype.

He should have taken speech lessons from Sondhi.

You shoud really apply for a job there as his advisor.

Hey, if the Dems lose this mess, we are all in for a very shakey 2 years, maybe 20. Nothing, and i mean NOTHING should have been left to chance.

What do you mean IF the Democrats lose? It's quite clear they've already lost this election and Puea Thai will win by a landslide. Personally, I think we're in for a quiet few years. One has to remember that the worst years in Thailand's recent history have happened under a Democrat government.

That could only be said by someone who wasn't here during Thaksin's regime.