I Watched Some Very Bad Documentaries About Thailand, Im Kinda Paranoid To Go Now...

gdesu1

Well like i posted ealier i have a plan to live in thailand for a long time and work there, wich is all going according to plan and everything seems fine now but.

I already knew alot of bad things about thailand wich i was prepared for but this seems like something you cant do anything about, when i had seen this i got kind off paranoid to go.

Yesterday and today i have seen some tv series about thailand, unfortunately mostly bad things about the system, police, criminality, corruption and how sometimes innocent tourist get arrested for minor things without any evidence and go to jail without trial and sometimes they even stay there for weeks or months before they get out, while they didnt do ANYTHING wrong!

Now i have seen and read alot of these cases, i dont even want to mention them but i have seen alot of innocent people getting acused by the thai police for something they didnt do (probably because they want money), then those people rot in jail for months without getting a trial, this is seriously very wrong and now i am scared of running into something uncontrollable like that.

Any info on this?

Edited by gdesu1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax!!!!!. Yes things can go wrong, but the stories you read about are just one or two isolated examples hyped by ?? the Daily Mail??

I've lived in Thailand ( Chiang Mai) for about 7 years. No problems, ( well a few hundred baht because I went the wrong way on a motorbike, but better than a court appearance). People here are friendly, but are not westerners. You need to understand that. DON"T go in for road rage!!!! could be lethal!!

It's a great place. Even here in the heart of the 'red shirt' country there are really no problems.

Leave all your PC problems ( politically correct) behind, it's a hoot out here.!

I wouldnt mind betting that most of your horror stories are centred around the cess pits of Pattaya and Phuket where tourists traps and criminality is probably at its worst.

Thailand has its problems like any other country, and also like others for the majority of the time is no real problem.

Like anywhere it has its good and bad places, dont right off an entire country because of one or two areas.

I have been out here over 5 years now and only once even spoke to a Policeman, that was in Chiang Mai too...hahaha...I wasnt wearing a seat belt and had to pay 200 baht, !!!

Thailand is peaceful, live and let live with minmal rules and alot of freedom to live your life which is exactly what attracts so many from the "Nanny states" in the west.

Fly below the radar and make sure that you are able to care for youself. The rest is great. Love Thailand

fatfather

I have been here for 14 years and never gone home. Stay above board with your visas, don't work without a work permit, Follow the laws, stay out of the bar scene, and enjoy the easy life here. The news shows sound more like they are talking about the Philippines and Angeles City. I have to laugh. The only time I got stopped was going the wrong way on my motor bike during some construction past the Chiangmai Airport. There happened to be a policeman at the other end closest to the Wing 41 gate who stopped me. He was nice about it and let me go without a ticket.

Suggest you come over for a vacation, travel around and see how you like it, then decide. It takes a good year to learn what's going on.

...sometimes innocent tourist get arrested for minor things without any evidence and go to jail without trial and sometimes they even stay there for weeks or months before they get out, while they didnt do ANYTHING wrong!

Now i have seen and read alot of these cases, i dont even want to mention them but i have seen alot of innocent people getting acused by the thai police for something they didnt do (probably because they want money), then those people rot in jail for months without getting a trial...

I wouldn't suggest these kinds of things couldn't happen here or never have, but in almost 3 decades of living here I don't recall anything quite like you describe, let alone "alot" (sic) of cases.

Even a random and completely unwarranted shakedown by police for some money isn't all that common and certainly rotting for months in jail without haven't done something wrong is less so.

No offense intended, itruly, but I have to say this: if you are so scared by watching some apparently absurdly sensationalist and superficial TV shows and you have so little other means or ability to know what it's like to live here -- are you sure you want to come? This place isn't necessarily as dangerous, in the way you think it is, as suggested. However it can be overwhelming and possibly even dangerous in other ways for those who aren't properly equipped for what they might meet here.

This country can often be a bad choice for the gullible, innocent or less than tough-minded.

I think someone is just trying to talk himself out of coming here due to other issues.

Police in almost every country have been accused of planting evidence. The truth is that it does happen but rarely enough since it is easy enough to catch people doing stupid, illegal crap without resorting to that.

What you have to understand is that:

Thais have a different religion

Thais have a different alphabet

Thais have a different way of thinking about life

Thais have never been colonised by any Western country so that the assumptions that you make as a Westerner are irrelevant here

Thais are not European!

As you've been told more than once Thailand isn't Europe. If you arrive in Thailand expecting the same orderly, organised life that you live in the Netherlands you are going to be MIGHTY disappointed. You're also going to miss all the fun that Thailand has to offer. On your way over you ought to keep the words 'surreal' and 'bizarre' at the front of your mind. That way you'll be prepared.

:annoyed: what's this ??? i said : for sure you should be american :lol:

sorry you do not know many americans most would not have gotten far enough to even think about it. now thats a laff.

by the way I am an american

Me thinks the OP had better brace himself.

There was an American chap on here some time ago, asking if Bangkok was safe for travel and asking whether he should postpone his trip for a few months. That thread ended up going for 12 pages with posters calling him every name under the sun.

Nincompoop,Ninny and Nitwit...from memory...just to name a few :rolleyes:

Edited by ozzieovaseas

Since you are so easily impressed by television it is probably safer if you stay home.

not realy, in fact i actually stopped watching tv because its crap most of the time and has alot of controlled news and media, we often only see the bad things i know that, but in those shows about thailand, aside from the beauty and relaxing side there were almost nothing but realy crazy messed up and corrupt events wich destroyed peoples lives.

@ozzie, that just makes me laugh, seriously i am not scared or soft for alot of things at all, in fact i had a pretty hard life, experienced realy bad and crazy things that i wouldnt want others to go trough, and been trough alot of SH*T, so even though i had such a messed up life before i still managed to achieve some great things and my life is going in a VERY good direction now as musciian, so.. no i am not easily scared at all but i wouldnt realy want to see my bright future colapse because of some stupid mistake by the police.

and its not that i am easily impressed by tv, usually thats not the case because i am often very skeptical, but these stories about thailand were all true events and were realy crazy.

i can only Hope dat it was a big colletion of the things that RARELY happen but according to the show it happens alot and the system is messed up, if they think you did something while they dont even have evidence your going to jail without any trial or whatsoever.

and the guy that though i might be a criminal, NO.

i am planning to do everything perfectly legal and i spent alot of time sorting everything out, i dont need illigal SHIT, i make more than enough money with my creer i dont need to sell drugs.

i just wouldnt want my whole life to be destroyed because of some crazy police with crazy ideas.

Thais have never been colonised by any Western country so that the assumptions that you make as a Westerner are irrelevant here

Thais are not European!

As you've been told more than once Thailand isn't Europe. If you arrive in Thailand expecting the same orderly, organised life that you live in the Netherlands you are going to be MIGHTY disappointed. You're also going to miss all the fun that Thailand has to offer. On your way over you ought to keep the words 'surreal' and 'bizarre' at the front of your mind. That way you'll be prepared.

when did i ever say thailand is like europe? you are not reading my texts well enough? i know that its nothing like europe.. i have travelled to asia already, im easy to adapt to different cultures.

and i am well prepared, but i just dont like the bad stories about the system and the corrupt polcie, i dont expect it to be like europe AT ALL, i am just coming there to relax at my friend and continue my music.

and i dont have a organized life AT ALL here : )

Since you are so easily impressed by television it is probably safer if you stay home.

not realy, in fact i actually stopped watching tv because its crap most of the time and has alot of controlled news and media, we often only see the bad things i know that, but in those shows about thailand, aside from the beauty and relaxing side there were almost nothing but realy crazy messed up and corrupt events wich destroyed peoples lives.

@ozzie, that just makes me laugh, seriously i am not scared or soft for alot of things at all, in fact i had a pretty hard life, experienced realy bad and crazy things that i wouldnt want others to go trough, and been trough alot of SH*T, so even though i had such a messed up life before i still managed to achieve some great things and my life is going in a VERY good direction now as musciian, so.. no i am not easily scared at all but i wouldnt realy want to see my bright future colapse because of some stupid mistake by the police.

and its not that i am easily impressed by tv, usually thats not the case because i am often very skeptical, but these stories about thailand were all true events and were realy crazy.

i can only Hope dat it was a big colletion of the things that RARELY happen but according to the show it happens alot and the system is messed up, if they think you did something while they dont even have evidence your going to jail without any trial or whatsoever.

and the guy that though i might be a criminal, NO.

i am planning to do everything perfectly legal and i spent alot of time sorting everything out, i dont need illigal SHIT, i make more than enough money with my creer i dont need to sell drugs.

i just wouldnt want my whole life to be destroyed because of some crazy police with crazy ideas.

Musician and drugs came up in the same post... ugh.

1- make sure your way of earning money is 100% legal under Thai Law and Thai labor Law. Get a work permit if you need one. Read the stuff about musicians arrested in Chiang Mai for jamming at an open mic.

2- make sure you stay away from drugs completely. no meth, no shit, no nothing. and stay away from drug users as well. this might not be easy in your trade.

3- about people going to jail without trial: well, that happens all around the world every day, it is called detention awaiting trial.

4- I have never seen a stubborn police officer in Thailand, except sometimes on the price. Forget about procedures, oversight, etc.

Be nice and friendly to everyone, shave and dress nicely, and don't be confrontational. Give the officers respect and a reason to believe you are willing to negotiate before he writes something down on his pad, or incase they want to arrest you, insist to explain everything before they type something into the station's computer. If you are a good guy, you didn't do anything wrong, right?

They might still expect payment to let you off the hook, but this is the best moment to pay, really.

For small things like speeding or diverse traffic offenses, the cop will want to give you a ticket of 400, 500 or 1000 baht and send you to a police station for payment, while he keeps your driving licence. He would give it back to you when you come back with the receipt.

*that's tremendous hassle*

react before he writes anything down, and tell him you don't have time to go to the station, if you could not pay the fine on the spot. usually 200 baht settles the situation and you get a big smile and a salute when you start off to commit more traffic offenses.

:-)

5- This is Thailand, relax. But keep your mind alert at all times. Remember this is not your country, and you need to think twice as much as Thais to detect potentially problematic situations. Heck, you might not even be able to read on someone's face that he is angry and ready to explode. Regarding baht bus drivers, you can safely assume they are in this state full time.

I can understand how someone can get scared when they watch documentaries - after all no one would watch a documentary unless it concentrated on the 'more interesting' side of things. This is a country of 65 million odd people - sure there are some bad people and there are a lot of crooked cops - however, like a virus they need their host to survive, much more likely you will get scammed for a $3 fine than arrested for something you didn't do - and mostly the fines are because you DID do something. In many ways, this works as a distinct advantage - suppose you have a few drinks and drive home (not arse drunk, just say a couple of bottles) - if arrested you could get a prison sentance and deportation - however, more likley you will get hit with an on the spot fine. Little pain for you, a little pay for the cop, less court time stress - and hopefully you will bless your luck and not do it again.

Also, as said above several times, it depends where you live - some areas are friendlier than others - CM is still quite good as its got some of the night scene etc, with a lot less of the scum that are attracted to Pattaya, parts of BKK and Phuket. Areas like CR and even in the boonies, likely you will be treated by the cops like a local - 100B fine for being caught. I was caught speeding on a hired Honda wave (my car was in the shop) in CM, just coming into town. Two BiBs (Boys in Brown = cops) waved me down - younger cop ignored me as he was road watching - younger cop came up to me and simply said "slow down - OK!" and waved me off. Similar stuff has happened all the time here - I once went into CM airport to pick up my folks - I carry a bag with my ID and useful stuff in it (wet towels, mossie spray, pens and paper, bottle opener, etc and a pen knife - I am so used to carryng it everywhere that I forgot about the knife and went through the security check. The scanner found the knife and the bad searched by security. Knife found. The guy simply said "Not allowed - sorry cna't keep" and took it away - no fine, no problems (other than I lost the knife), a scary moment and one that could easily have been taken advantage of - it wasn't.

Only one ticket in all the time I lived here - and that was for driving a car without tax (I was on the way to get it re-registered as a new owner and taxed - needed to be checked first at the DVLC, so no way I could get tax) - cop said sorry but still not alowed - cost 400B and MIL tore him a new a-hole (poor guy!)...and in actual fact, I was not in the car at all, the Mrs was with MIL (both Thai).

You only have to stand at the side of the road in the city (CM) to see hoe many foreigners flout the law - almost all of them whizzing past in flip flops and shorts and no helmet - often breaking the road laws - and I am very sure many of them do not have motorbike entitlement on their IDP's (assuming they even have IDP'sa which are required unless they have Thai DL's). Tourists could be an easy mark, but most get away with it all the time - sometimes the odd 200B fine (usualy for no helmet).

Very few people get fitted up - and almost always it is because they have refused to pay their way out (thoughh given much opportunity too) - probably due to pride, which is great, but if you asnt out, there are often ways presented before it gets to the Hilton. It is usually those that appear above the radar and don't pay their dues (Thais pay their dues - the wealthiest people still pay off the authorities and police etc - its just the Asian way) - its a part of being successful here, if the don't pay (negotialtions are of course part of it) then they make enemies in the wrong places. So, live below the radar, live as legal a possible - make contacts and use them as needs be (favours cost!) - and you, like most of us, will have no issues whatsoever.

I can understand how someone can get scared when they watch documentaries - after all no one would watch a documentary unless it concentrated on the 'more interesting' side of things. This is a country of 65 million odd people - sure there are some bad people and there are a lot of crooked cops - however, like a virus they need their host to survive, much more likely you will get scammed for a $3 fine than arrested for something you didn't do - and mostly the fines are because you DID do something. In many ways, this works as a distinct advantage - suppose you have a few drinks and drive home (not arse drunk, just say a couple of bottles) - if arrested you could get a prison sentance and deportation - however, more likley you will get hit with an on the spot fine. Little pain for you, a little pay for the cop, less court time stress - and hopefully you will bless your luck and not do it again.

Also, as said above several times, it depends where you live - some areas are friendlier than others - CM is still quite good as its got some of the night scene etc, with a lot less of the scum that are attracted to Pattaya, parts of BKK and Phuket. Areas like CR and even in the boonies, likely you will be treated by the cops like a local - 100B fine for being caught. I was caught speeding on a hired Honda wave (my car was in the shop) in CM, just coming into town. Two BiBs (Boys in Brown = cops) waved me down - younger cop ignored me as he was road watching - younger cop came up to me and simply said "slow down - OK!" and waved me off. Similar stuff has happened all the time here - I once went into CM airport to pick up my folks - I carry a bag with my ID and useful stuff in it (wet towels, mossie spray, pens and paper, bottle opener, etc and a pen knife - I am so used to carryng it everywhere that I forgot about the knife and went through the security check. The scanner found the knife and the bad searched by security. Knife found. The guy simply said "Not allowed - sorry cna't keep" and took it away - no fine, no problems (other than I lost the knife), a scary moment and one that could easily have been taken advantage of - it wasn't.

Only one ticket in all the time I lived here - and that was for driving a car without tax (I was on the way to get it re-registered as a new owner and taxed - needed to be checked first at the DVLC, so no way I could get tax) - cop said sorry but still not alowed - cost 400B and MIL tore him a new a-hole (poor guy!)...and in actual fact, I was not in the car at all, the Mrs was with MIL (both Thai).

You only have to stand at the side of the road in the city (CM) to see hoe many foreigners flout the law - almost all of them whizzing past in flip flops and shorts and no helmet - often breaking the road laws - and I am very sure many of them do not have motorbike entitlement on their IDP's (assuming they even have IDP'sa which are required unless they have Thai DL's). Tourists could be an easy mark, but most get away with it all the time - sometimes the odd 200B fine (usualy for no helmet).

Very few people get fitted up - and almost always it is because they have refused to pay their way out (thoughh given much opportunity too) - probably due to pride, which is great, but if you asnt out, there are often ways presented before it gets to the Hilton. It is usually those that appear above the radar and don't pay their dues (Thais pay their dues - the wealthiest people still pay off the authorities and police etc - its just the Asian way) - its a part of being successful here, if the don't pay (negotialtions are of course part of it) then they make enemies in the wrong places. So, live below the radar, live as legal a possible - make contacts and use them as needs be (favours cost!) - and you, like most of us, will have no issues whatsoever.

Thank you for this info, that was useful.

Well i am not planning to do anything illegal, but sadly i can not stay away from bangkok city once i get a work permit because i will work at bed supper club and insomnia as DJ, i dont do drugs, i barely even drink either, i plan to do everything legally, but sadly because of my job wich i LOVE to death, i cant stay away from the Club area in bangkok. usually in other countries this wouldnt have been a problem but like many people warn, its dangerous in the city at night.

i am planning to let myself be dropped and picked up in front work by a cab everytime i will be working, because i dont want to risk running into some crazy people that might ruin my life.

am i being paranoid now or is this a normal precaution?

i even heard stories about cab drivers taking foreigners somewhere else and treaten them to give money! i hope thats not true..

Edited by gdesu1

Is it realy that hard to be a musician legally there?

i have seen alot of foreign djs at bangkok clubs in videos, then how did they arrange it?

i should be able to get a long term musician work permit right? is that even any different from a regular work permit?

Thais are not European!

"Thais have never been colonised by any Western country so that the assumptions that you make as a Westerner are irrelevant here" - I always love that one - and its true if we forget all the bits that were "given" away to western countries like England and Holland. Of course, they were also colonised by the Japanese and the Burmese too, but they are not western. Nothen Thailand (Lana) was colonised by Siam - indeed CM was still a principality up until 1939, independant, but with allegiance to the king of Siam. Thailand didn't exist until 1949.

Interesting piece on Thai history here: http://www.guidetoth...ry/new-siam.php

Officially Siam had been an isolationist state since the Phaulkon episode in the late 17th century, and the Chinese merchants encouraged this policy to keep competition out. But eventually the West was able to pry open the closed doors of Siam anyway. Treaties signed with Britain in 1826 and the United States in 1833 allowed Protestant missionaries and a small amount of trade into the country. More important was a treaty signed with Britain in 1855, which gave the following to the UK: extraterritoriality, most-favored-nation status, a consulate in Bangkok, and a maximum tariff of 3% on British goods. It also gave Britons the right to sell Siamese goods, lease land, build homes, and travel one day's distance from Bangkok. Before long France and the other Western powers stepped in and demanded similar trade agreements; the king, Mongkut Rama IV (1851-68), agreed to them all, seeing rivalry between foreign powers as the best way to keep one of them from gaining too much influence over his country. Nobody supported the opening up of Siam with more enthusiasm than the king himself.

Interesting that we now have the same situation as pre-Monkut times, Chinese merchants keeping Thailand closed so they can reap (or rape) the benefits at a cost they can demand (i.e. keep the Thai masses down and exploited to maximise profit margins - and keep competition out). Thai masses have fallen for this hook-line-and-sinker. Difference now is that we are in a constitutional monarchy , and the government has all the power, and the government is filled with/controlled by, those self same merchants (I mean all Governments for decades not the new one which may be the best hope to change that status quo - or not).

Edited by wolf5370

i have seen alot of foreign djs at bangkok clubs in videos, then how did they arrange it?

i should be able to get a long term musician work permit right? is that even any different from a regular work permit?

The general rule of thumb is that if the job can be effectively performed by a Thai national, then it is not so easy (or even impossible) to get a work permit to do it as a foreigner (there is a big list of Thai only jobs for example). Enterning (DJ/Musician etc) can attract a work permit, but usdually only a short one - meant for artists touring and specific events - long term employment in such may be difficult unless it is part of another job (and included in the WP) - for example, a bar owner can have a WP because he is a business owner, has mthe right amount of Thai employees etc, and could have "entertaining guests" as an included tasks for the job role. There is no self-employed WP here at all (as far as I know). It may be that your employr has a way around it that allows him to hire you and get a WP for you, but be careful you may listed as "English language teacher to teach bar staff" etc which wouldn't cover singing.

As to the ones you see - I would summise one of two things generally: They are working illegally or they are on short term visiting artists work permits. I went to watch a white Scotish commedian on stage in BKK once (about 12 years ago) - he did his act mostly in Thai with a Thai or seven on stage from time to time - he is, however, a Thai citizen, so does not require a WP.

WP's are job based here. Your employer applies for a WP (even if that employer is you - i.e. business owner). That WP applies only to that employer for that job role - it is not a carteblanche permit to work in the kingdom. Only citizenship grants that.

usually in other countries this wouldnt have been a problem but like many people warn, its dangerous in the city at night.

i am planning to let myself be dropped and picked up in front work by a cab everytime i will be working, because i dont want to risk running into some crazy people that might ruin my life.

i even heard stories about cab drivers taking foreigners somewhere else and treaten them to give money! i hope thats not true..

You are being paranoid.

Yes, in the clubs universe you will be surrounded by drug addicts, dealers, thieves, petty criminals and corrupt officials.

Just keep your mind alert and you will be fine (i.e. don't let the cab choose you, it is your show and you choose/flag down your own cab - keep this principle for your life, just don't make an easy target through predictibility and passivity).

From my point of view, Bangkok is much safer round the clock than many western cities. I wouldn't venture at 3am in many of New York's or London's Paris' streets. Did it often in Bangkok without feeling insecure.

Violence against foreigners is 1) very rare and 2) almost always aimed at getting your valuables.

Edited by manarak

usually in other countries this wouldnt have been a problem but like many people warn, its dangerous in the city at night.

You are being paranoid.

Just keep your mind alert and you will be fine (i.e. don't let the cab choose you, it is your show and you choose/flag down your own cab - keep this principle for your life, just don't make an easy target through predictibility and passivity).

From my point of view, Bangkok is much safer round the clock than many western cities. I wouldn't venture at 3am in many of New York's or London's Paris' streets. Did it often in Bangkok without feeling insecure.

Violence against foreigners is 1) very rare and 2) almost always aimed at getting your valuables.

+1

Agree whole-heartedly

Just come to thailand and unless you are complete idiot, which I donot think you are you should have no problems. Just watch out and be selective about the farang and Thai friends you hang with. good luck and read up on the labor laws.

The general rule of thumb is that if the job can be effectively performed by a Thai national, then it is not so easy (or even impossible) to get a work permit to do it as a foreigner (there is a big list of Thai only jobs for example). Enterning (DJ/Musician etc) can attract a work permit, but usdually only a short one - meant for artists touring and specific events - long term employment in such may be difficult unless it is part of another job (and included in the WP) - for example, a bar owner can have a WP because he is a business owner, has mthe right amount of Thai employees etc, and could have "entertaining guests" as an included tasks for the job role. There is no self-employed WP here at all (as far as I know). It may be that your employr has a way around it that allows him to hire you and get a WP for you, but be careful you may listed as "English language teacher to teach bar staff" etc which wouldn't cover singing.

As to the ones you see - I would summise one of two things generally: They are working illegally or they are on short term visiting artists work permits. I went to watch a white Scotish commedian on stage in BKK once (about 12 years ago) - he did his act mostly in Thai with a Thai or seven on stage from time to time - he is, however, a Thai citizen, so does not require a WP.

WP's are job based here. Your employer applies for a WP (even if that employer is you - i.e. business owner). That WP applies only to that employer for that job role - it is not a carteblanche permit to work in the kingdom. Only citizenship grants that.

I have heared this before, seems difficult indeed to get a long time work permit in music there, but realy in some thai clubs they have foreign DJ staff too, they wouldnt be all illegal working right? if they help me with the work permit i should be ok? or doesnt it matter if the club owner approves of me working there? will the officials still be against it? i wonder how other foreign dj's do it, i will ask around a bit thanks for the info.

and thanks everyone for the info everyone, it realy helps to change my mind, i was realy paranoid after seeing those documentaries, my thai friend wich i plan to visit already tried to tell me those were probably rare cases and that i shouldnt worry so much about it but i was thinking like "thats easy for you to say your a girl and a thai national" and still didnt trust it, i am still extremely cautious though but i think i will try it.

aside from myself my family worries alot too you know, you see i am going alone by myself (20 years old) i have a thai friend around me at all times though so that should help me a bit in weird situations. (dont worry she is not a prostitute or ladyboy, i know her for years already and we are good friends, she works at some golf club and will be manager soon)

but its still kinda scary and trust me im not such a wuss.

if everything goes like me and my friend hope then i could have a realy amazing time there, i just hope that i wont be one of those unlucky ones: )

Edited by gdesu1

The general rule of thumb is that if the job can be effectively performed by a Thai national, then it is not so easy (or even impossible) to get a work permit to do it as a foreigner

Strangely enough that's EXACTLY the way things work in the EU. Try and get a job as a DJ in the Netherlands if you're a Thai citizen.

I wouldnt mind betting that most of your horror stories are centred around the cess pits of Pattaya and Phuket where tourists traps and criminality is probably at its worst.

Thailand has its problems like any other country, and also like others for the majority of the time is no real problem.

Like anywhere it has its good and bad places, dont right off an entire country because of one or two areas.

I have been out here over 5 years now and only once even spoke to a Policeman, that was in Chiang Mai too...hahaha...I wasnt wearing a seat belt and had to pay 200 baht, !!!

Thailand is peaceful, live and let live with minmal rules and alot of freedom to live your life which is exactly what attracts so many from the "Nanny states" in the west.

Cess pit of Phuket???

You are ridiculous. I get so P.O.'s over these repetitive negative comments about where I live happily, without a single personal incident of criminality or being duped by a tourist trap.

The general rule of thumb is that if the job can be effectively performed by a Thai national, then it is not so easy (or even impossible) to get a work permit to do it as a foreigner

Strangely enough that's EXACTLY the way things work in the EU. Try and get a job as a DJ in the Netherlands if you're a Thai citizen.

Yes, I guess thats true everywhere - for a work permit one needs to have a skill set that is in short supply or specialist (which amounts to the same thing) or already working for an international company's local office etc (where the specialst skill is company knowledge). it is strange how diffent it seems when applied to one's self rather than one's own country applying it to others.

Cess pit of Phuket???

You are ridiculous. I get so P.O.'s over these repetitive negative comments about where I live happily, without a single personal incident of criminality or being duped by a tourist trap.

Yes, cess pit is a bit strong! Its is fair to say though that one is more likely to run into issues such as the OP stated (i.e. against foreigners) where there is a large tourist population, stands to reason mathmatically (also money, from tourists, attracts low-lifes that prey on the vulnerable - and Phuket is infamous in its inability - or more probably unwillingness - to deal with these low-lifes - from Jet Ski scammers to mafia controlled tuktuks). Of course staying out of the mine field makes stamping a much safer game.

Edited by wolf5370

gdesu1 relax, I think you will enjoy Thailand just fine.

Regarding tourists and westerners, to be fair with the local citizen, many come here assuming they can do what they want here. After all it's Thailand, a third world with Bangkok as a prostitution capital of the world according to the big dictionary. So Thai people will see many westerners who are 80 years old child molester, Gay, Hippies, woman right activists and some use Thailand as a place to politically attack Burmese government. Some news reporters also live in Thailand and probably report what you've seen on TV.