Jetski Scam On Channel 3 News.

PoorSucker

I see your point, but dirtbag A, the big bosses, are still coming away with big bucks even if it's at the expense of dirtbag B, the rip-off technicians.

Can't win 'em all. I'm content knowing the actual punks will literally have nothing, which is what they had when they started, when this is all over. The sad part is, they won't even know any better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the MAFIA is engaged in a BIG MONEY venture (like Capone and alcohol back in my own country), they pay off the people who could stop them. It will be hard to stop this unless political figures higher up on the totem pole do something about it other than have meetings and give politically correct speeches.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Austrailan Gov fed up with Thai scammers and are publishing an expose of Thailand and the lack of security and safety of tourists.

Footage for the video was shot on Patong beach by Australian Embassy officials earlier this month and is now being processed in Australia.

My link

Edited by Rimmer
prohibited link removed

This Advice is current for Friday, 19 August 2011.Australian Government Travel Advisory for Thailand:

"Australian travellers continue to report harassment and threats of violence by jet ski operators on tourist beaches, particularly in Phuket. Many travellers have reported that, after returning hired jet skis, they have been confronted by gangs claiming that the tourist damaged the jet ski. There have been reported instances of such gangs threatening violence, including at knifepoint, if a large sum of money in compensation for the alleged damage is not paid."

Looks like the new "crack down" is paying off. :lol:

There is simply too much money being made to stop this. All the news and meetings were noting more than the local officials saving face. Just like all the meetings and press years prior.

Looks like the new "crack down" is paying off. :lol:

There is simply too much money being made to stop this. All the news and meetings were noting more than the local officials saving face. Just like all the meetings and press years prior.

That is why it is important to keep threads such as this active to give more tourists a chance to be forewarned of the possible financial implications of renting a ski. Having watched this myself many times I agree that so much cash is being made stopping the scam is not realistic.

You people all seem to talk about the jet ski scam as it its a bad thing. I disagree. In my opinion it is a very good thing. Yes, I feel sorry for the people who get scammed, threatened and even beaten. Yes, I detest the sub human gangs of thugs who carry on and profit from it. Yes, I would love to see them beaten into a pulp (and happy to see much worse) by picking on the wrong person/people. Yes, Id like to see them behind bars together with the rest of the scammers up and down the chain.

But, lets look beyond those sentiments. The more people who are scammed, the worse the reputation of Pattaya and Thailand generally, becomes. Thus, fewer visitors. I hope Thailand manages to go nowhere, to stay in the dark age, to wallow in the gutter of its stupidity, greed, ineptitude, xenophobia and narrow mindedness.

Let it continue, let Thailand be like a stupid and ill mannered and ill disciplined child that stays in the remedial class and has no hoping of making a success of him or her self.

Suits me, keeps it quieter, keeps it a bit cheaper. Just keep advertising this and other scams and abuses, its important the world knows, thats the way to keep the world away.

You people all seem to talk about the jet ski scam as it its a bad thing. I disagree. In my opinion it is a very good thing. Yes, I feel sorry for the people who get scammed, threatened and even beaten. Yes, I detest the sub human gangs of thugs who carry on and profit from it. Yes, I would love to see them beaten into a pulp (and happy to see much worse) by picking on the wrong person/people. Yes, Id like to see them behind bars together with the rest of the scammers up and down the chain.

But, lets look beyond those sentiments. The more people who are scammed, the worse the reputation of Pattaya and Thailand generally, becomes. Thus, fewer visitors. I hope Thailand manages to go nowhere, to stay in the dark age, to wallow in the gutter of its stupidity, greed, ineptitude, xenophobia and narrow mindedness.

Let it continue, let Thailand be like a stupid and ill mannered and ill disciplined child that stays in the remedial class and has no hoping of making a success of him or her self.

Suits me, keeps it quieter, keeps it a bit cheaper. Just keep advertising this and other scams and abuses, its important the world knows, thats the way to keep the world away.

A pretty radical view, but in many ways I must agree.

Show the world how much the famous Thai "smile" (or is it a grin??) is really worth!!

Show the world how much the famous Thai "smile" (or is it a grin??) is really worth!!

Well said. We who live here and have made accommodations to the uniqueness of Thai culture and accepted it warts and all don't have any problems. It is only the NGO wannabes trying to make everything like it is in the home the expats left and said good riddance to. The Jet Ski scam is a test of wills. Will the forward thinking Thais who favor progress and economic growth win or will the moneyed corrupt old generation triumph.

My money is on the corrupt old timers because the kids are more concerned about cute little dogs and designer teeth braces.

I could change the outcome as I know enough about the culture to know what buttons to push but the people like me who really could make a difference keep quiet because they also know that change does not operate in a vacuum. If you eliminate the Jet ski crooks who is next. And who after that. We could wake up some morning with clean sidewalks, and pilgrims chanting as they walked to church in Pattaya.

Well said. We who live here and have made accommodations to the uniqueness of Thai culture and accepted it warts and all don't have any problems. It is only the NGO wannabes trying to make everything like it is in the home the expats left and said good riddance to. The Jet Ski scam is a test of wills. Will the forward thinking Thais who favor progress and economic growth win or will the moneyed corrupt old generation triumph.

My money is on the corrupt old timers because the kids are more concerned about cute little dogs and designer teeth braces.

I could change the outcome as I know enough about the culture to know what buttons to push but the people like me who really could make a difference keep quiet because they also know that change does not operate in a vacuum. If you eliminate the Jet ski crooks who is next. And who after that. We could wake up some morning with clean sidewalks, and pilgrims chanting as they walked to church in Pattaya.

Just keep spreading the bad news, make sure Thailand has the reputation it deserves and that means a bad one. All the scams, all the assaults, all the cheating, all the racism, all the corrupt police behaviour, all of it. Every country in the world should have an advisory against Thailand. The sh*t these people get away with should be plastered all over facebook, myspace, yahoo, the TV channels, the papers, the embassy advisories, it should be ingrained in peoples minds everywhere. Let the monkey gangs sit around all day drinking and taking yaba, let them get a sucker now and then. Great, its keeping the reputation of Thailand where it should be as long as it is all advertised.

I want everyone to know how at street level at least Thailand is ruled by sub human greedy little thugs and that the foreigner is totally at the mercy and that whatever happens to them will be to the mirth of the Thai police and the local Thais who all love to see foreigners abused, cheated and assaulted.

As long as the world knows then with luck the families and others will think twice before visiting and that will be better for us. We want to enjoy what little there is left of the "old Thailand", so we avoid the scams ourselves and hope the world stays away.

I think the major opportunities from tourism are from Eastern Europe, India and China and in those countries it is a lot worse than Thailand so no harm no foul. You don't have to tell the families because they are used to it. And if I was an Indian shop owner I would feel safer in Pattaya than London right now so I really don't think much more publicity is needed.

If all we can do is to generalize and post negative views of Thailand and Thai people then this thread is going to go the same way as the others. See the following rule before you post more of the same:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

I think this must be doing the jetski people a lot of harm, many hotels warn their customers not to rent jetskies now, in fact its almost becoming a tourist attraction, lets go to pattaya and watch the jetski scammers

About 9 years ago I rented a jet ski many times with NO PROBLEMS. This has grown over the years to be a monster. What changed? I am sure there are still some good operators who make a decent living.

But it evolved into this mess. IMHO is that thugs and crooks have invaded this business not so much that the decent operators turned to this.

So lets say the THAIS stopped these scams overnight. What would the crooks do for income. They would move into other ways of extracting money. It would be open season on tourist MORESO.

So clean up the jet ski problem and be prepared for the next wave of crime.

LLL

About 9 years ago I rented a jet ski many times with NO PROBLEMS. This has grown over the years to be a monster. What changed? I am sure there are still some good operators who make a decent living.

But it evolved into this mess. IMHO is that thugs and crooks have invaded this business not so much that the decent operators turned to this.

So lets say the THAIS stopped these scams overnight. What would the crooks do for income. They would move into other ways of extracting money. It would be open season on tourist MORESO.

So clean up the jet ski problem and be prepared for the next wave of crime.

LLL

Unless they are thrown in jail where they belong.

Today I saw 3 very violent jetski scams. I saw the police help the jetski people. This thread could save a life.

Please keep to the facts so we can keep it alive.

Anyone who has seen the crazy look in the eyes of the scammers knows the fear tourists are feeling...add in the mob mentality and all day under the hot sun drinking alcohol is a cocktail for disaster.

Keep it real and keep it alive.

Today I saw 3 very violent jetski scams. I saw the police help the jetski people. This thread could save a life.

Please keep to the facts so we can keep it alive.

Anyone who has seen the crazy look in the eyes of the scammers knows the fear tourists are feeling...add in the mob mentality and all day under the hot sun drinking alcohol is a cocktail for disaster.

Keep it real and keep it alive.

it is too dangerous to interfere on the beach but in april I caught up with 2 young brits as they were leaving the beach about 17 00 hrs. i thought they were on their way to get cash but they had already paid 20,000 bht. I am not in the habit of inviting strangers for a beer but i wanted to hear the story first hand and in the street they were just too hyper and i didn't catch them up till the bottom of soi 14 so i took them to secrets to cool down and hear the tale.

everything was fine till they got back to the beach when the usual " what did you hit " nonsense started. they told me that they had done nothing to the ski's.

they then spent the next 3 hours negotiating and being threatened and in the end paid out 20 grand having started at 50,000 bht. they said they knew they were being conned but were forced into paying just to get the nightmare behind them and get off the beach. One of these guys was normal size but the other was a big lad who looked like he could handle himself but they were simply outnumbered.( this all took place about opposite the best friend bar complex not far from walking st)

no actual police turned up but the sneaky russian was there helping to do the deal. I saw him he was wearing his usual garb of black trousers and black shirt. He claimed ( now please do not laugh i promise i am not making this up) to be a United Nations Police Official in Thailand to clamp down on scams and corruption. they told me they knew he was in on it but they were in such a state they just wanted it to be over.

I told them i had met people who had paid more and after a couple of beers in my bin they left in a more positive mood determined to enjoy the rest of their holiday.

Edited by striderman

Anyone know if the mayor have been informed about the new scamming techniques , taking pictures and using photoshop to delete the damage ?

Probably an idea adopted at one of the city hall meetings.

I'm sure the Mayor would be supplied a copy of the minutes.

Key West...Waikiki...Atlantic City...Costa del Sol...Miami Beach...North Shore...all beautiful beaches.

All can have Post Cards with water sports and smiling tourists.

Pattaya people in charge...What Post Cards do you want the world of PAYING TOURISTS to see?

I cant believe so few can destroy for so many.

These scams are why hotels are only half filled.

New slogan...PENNY WISE POUND FOOLISH PATTAYA!

Edited by IAMSOBAD

What's strange to me is to make any deal without first going to the police station,

if only to have it formally written down

Deal? The problem appears to be the threat of violence or actual violence before you leave. You can only leave for the ATM machine. You can't leave and go to the police station. And even if you do, what then? Guess who is in on the scam with the Thai-mafia scum? For the record, I did not say who is in on it and only asked you to guess :) What worries me is that at some point the Thai mafia scum will kill a tourists, deliberately or by accident. This really needs to be addressed by political figures who have the power to put an end to it. If this does not end soon, I am sure there will be more global exposure. Question: How many minutes in one hour?

Another scam today near Royal Garden early this afternoon. One of the Thais literally bitch slapped an Indian guy across the face then the rest of the mob circled the two Indians, which at that point they agreed to pay the price.

As another poster said, it has become a tourist attraction. I now walk through just about every day just so I can see what chaos happens.

Looks like City Hall's meeting was a waste of time, as everyone expected, and was nothing more than a media show. Somehow I'm not surprised.

One post removed.

Now is a good time to reproduce part of the rules of Thai Visa that everyone agreed to when they signed up.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.