Best Way To Laos From Hua Hin

hinhua

Hello. I am intending to visit Laos (Vientiane) next week, and was wondering what's the best way to go from Hua Hin. Local travel agents suggested to me to fly to Udon then bus to Vientiane, cost was about 1800 baht on Thai airways. Is there a cheaper airline? I looked at Airasia but doesn't seem to work on Mac (website is very slow and no search results come up). The other thing is that the travel agent (Western tours I think) told me the other day they can book Airasia, but the next time I went there they said they can't as they are a Thai airways agent. Hmm.

Anyway, from Hua Hin how long is the journey by bus to Laos...? I'm not keen on spending 20 hours cramped in the back of a bus if it can be avoided!

p.s. visit is for a few days with a friend and to organise tourist visa for Thailand as well.

835 km, 12 hours 31 mins According to Google maps

I flew Nok Air to Sakon Nakhon from Don Muang last week took 90 mins

Fly to Udon seems the best (if not cheapest) option approx1400 baht with them

835 km, 12 hours 31 mins According to Google maps

I flew Nok Air to Sakon Nakhon from Don Muang last week took 90 mins

Fly to Udon seems the best (if not cheapest) option approx1400 baht with them

Air Asia bkk- Udon Thani can be as low as 500 baht one way, just bought Phuket -Udon at 700 all included. Online booking with credit card a must for these prices.

800 km by car on HW 4-35-9-2 seems right, depending on speed 7-10 hours, done it a dusin times

If you fly at 2 person or more so it come expensive and you can consider rent a car for ca. 1000/day km free, park very close to the border. 9 hrs +/-1 is realistic to Udon, to VTE count easy plus 2 hrs wihtout custom clearance. I travel few times each year by private car to VTE direct with advantage on the border during hig season you make clearance on different immigration both and if you are wise make visa in Embassy in BKK you don't stand in line. But for car you need own car and ITP (International Transport Permission). Cross by rent a car I thing not possible.Beside bus and flight I see sometimes people arriving by train (A/C/ wagons) and as I have seen ot on timetible in railway station Nong Khai, there is a 2 wagon tender Nong Khai via Friendship bridge to Vientiane.I would say after 2 days VTE you have seen, nightlife less then in HH, restaurant-bar closing time official between 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm also lst change get a rent-a-girl on the boulevard along the Mekong river B)

I've taken the train every time I've gone to Laos. Second class air con sleeper to Nong Khai, the station is 5 mins from the Thai side of the bridge. I like the train, comfy and they have cold beer. Go with a female friend and you can enjoy more things than you can on a plane.

Check out the Yellow Bus Company they go from Hua Hin to Mukdahan just over the boarder to Savannakhet.

Buses new 32 seaters with toilet and drinks stops on the way for food and a bit of fresh air,Think the price is around ฿390 or ฿790 for a lounger type seat.

Depot just outside Hua Hin on left hand side going to Cha Am.

Goes in evening arriving in morning very comfortable and saves the hassle of going to Bangkok.

http://www.iloveyellowbus.com/

Hello.

Thanks for the information. Booked a flight to Udon in the end. But, I'll come back an alternative way (e.g. yellow bus - that looks good) or train.

I'm not sure what time the border closes at the friendship bridge - I should be there around 5 p.m. ...

Thanks.

Hello.

Thanks for the information. Booked a flight to Udon in the end. But, I'll come back an alternative way (e.g. yellow bus - that looks good) or train.

I'm not sure what time the border closes at the friendship bridge - I should be there around 5 p.m. ...

Thanks.

You may have to overnight in Nong Khai, not a bad thing there are nice riverside restos and bars.

Check out the Yellow Bus Company they go from Hua Hin to Mukdahan just over the boarder to Savannakhet.

Buses new 32 seaters with toilet and drinks stops on the way for food and a bit of fresh air,Think the price is around ฿390 or ฿790 for a lounger type seat.

Depot just outside Hua Hin on left hand side going to Cha Am.

Goes in evening arriving in morning very comfortable and saves the hassle of going to Bangkok.

http://www.iloveyellowbus.com/

That still leaves him a long way from Vientiane.

I would think the best way , is a day train from Hua Hin to Bkk. ,Then a 2nd class ( I prefer Non-Air)Sleeper to Nong Khai,that night. Close to the border,easy to cross.Many very pleasant nights I have spent in the restaurant car, quaffing a few ales.With congenial company met on the train.Used to be a very good Malay-Indian restaurant in Vientianne. Sawannakhet is indeed an alternative. Most probably from Hua Hin ,the yellow bus would be best.