Usa Vs Thailand

farang000999

Of course there are many variables here as where I was living in Thailand and where I moved to in the USA. In Thailand I lived in Bangkok in a condo and I am now living in Florida in the suburbs.

Here are my thoughts on returning home (with my Thai wife and child).

• I am eating significantly healthier. I don't care for fast food. Most of the Asian restaurants here are terrible. Because of this, I eat almost all of my meals at home and my wife cooks them. Being Thai, most of her recipes are rather healthy. In Thailand, there is just so much food that we would not cook often. I definitely overate. It always seemed like food was my #1 hobby in Thailand. So this is plus +1 for the USA, of course not having as much great selection of foods is -1
  • Service in the USA is significantly better. I was doing some gardening work and accidentally turned off the water mains which was located next to the garden hose knob. It was 2 am Sunday morning. I called the Water department and they sent someone out. He arrived ten minutes later and solved the problem and he wasn't expecting a tip for it. I doubt you would find that type of service in Thailand although you probably would not find it in a large American city either. For the most part, American business is much more consumer friendly and efficient. It is super easy to make returns. But perhaps my lack of Thai was a factor of finding service in Thailand lacking.
  • Driving in the USA is a dream come true. Very few motorcyclists. People drive politely and safely. They always stop for pedestrians outside shopping areas. I actually feel safe going out unlike Thailand where I am crossing my fingers that I survive.
  • Shopping in the USA is much better. Everything that is quality (not made in Thailand) is half of what it costs in Thailand. Even products made in Thailand like jasmine rice cost less in the USA to buy in bulk than they cost to buy at Tesco in Thailand. You can confidently order items online knowing that they will arrive with tracking, that you can return them free of charge with tracking and that the price will be cheaper than what you find in the store.
  • Air quality here is amazing. Nothing feels better than going outside and breathing it in.

Now the funny thing is that I would still rather be in Thailand. We are here for my daughter and for my family. When people ask me what is so great about Thailand I have a hard time answering them. It has so many flaws and if someone called it a giant dump it is hard to disagree yet there is just something about Thailand that is exotic and captures your heart. Maybe it is the sense of danger or the Thai attitude of mai bpen rai? In Thailand it always feels as if everything is going to be alright, even if for most people it isn't. In America, it feels like nothing is going to be alright, even though it probably will be. Just my ruses.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why were you gardening at 2am?

Couldn't you just burn the body parts...?whistling.gif

It's a nice post and an interesting comparison however I'd say that the fact that you still wish you were in Thailand is that after only 3 months back, you're still re-adjusting to life back in the US.

Interesting post & pretty understandable.

The returning goods thing is pretty much a no go in Thailand AFAIK

The shopping thing is very true & the quality is quite a bit better.

Appliances, electronics, clothing etc.

Funny too because I would think it would be the opposite?

food same as you my wife does all the cooking here & all the veggies are from our garden.

My air quality is even better than where you are so agree there too.

I also tend to have a bit of a shock on our yearly trips of overall uncleanliness

of the streets etc.I know the sewers are what they are but that is just smell & not the main thing.

It is just the seemingly lack of respect for not throwing trash anywhere it falls

But of course Thailand has its charms & we love going there every year.

Those same things that are not great in my mind there is also due to the lack of over regulation which

I do really like in Thailand

I will admit though that at about the three month mark I do get a little Thai-urd

& am happy at that point to come back home.

We still consider retiring there some day....maybe.

Overall it's all good & there are good things in all places I'm sure.

It is nice to have a place in both as we do but the time is still split 75% here & 25% there

But like you we always think of Thailand when we are not there & even now

get happily anxious at the thought we will soon return.

Edited by flying

To some of us, the attraction of Thailand is that it ISN'T

over regulated

PC

safe

bland

unadventurous.

( I know- they're generalisations )

In LOS, knowing that everytime I step out of the door I could be maimed by a speeding sidecar makes me alert.

Everytime I see broken infrastructure, I appreciate it because it's not like "back home".

In the country, where there is minimal health care, I know that I have to look after myself, not depend on "someone else" to do it for me.

I can do things that would never be allowed "back home" by the nanny state.

Etc etc.

Well glad you like being back in the US I have been back 3 months now and cannot wait to get the hell out of dodge and back to Thailand. If people really looked at their likes and dislikes list most of it you really shouldn't give the time of day to.

I had to go back to Australia , to get the old age pension, when i turned 65.Sadly, the Govt. made me spend over 2 years living there .I hated every minute of it. I never got used to the cold. For 9 months of the year I didn't get out of bed before 11.00 A.M. The cost of living was horrendous. Worse ,now. If I went back again ,I would be pretty much homeless. as rents have skyrocketed in the last few years. Food was expensive-(is now

ge tting expensive ,here too).Survived by working out which days the different supermarkets had food on its use by date- Marked down to half price, mostly. Lived in a caravan on a farm, very cheap rent. No car, while on the farm, had to hitchhike everywhere (NO public transport).Couldn't afford to go into a Pub, But did brew my own beer ,brewed some very good beers and stouts, (Thank you Coopers).Very cheap, as well. All in all, was so very happy to get back here.The one thing ,I did like was Cask wine -5 litres for Au$ 10, and very drinkable. I miss wine here frighteningly expensive

Edited by afarang

My only comment is about your food comment. That varies a lot based on your location and it sounds like the OP is not living in a sophisticated area, food-wise. All the places I lived in the USA were MUCH BETTER for food, fantastic variety, including Asian food, than the best food cities in Thailand. That is, of course, except for Thai food, where it is obviously better in Thailand. For example, I have not an acceptable bowl of Vietnamese pho ever in Thailand while the last city I lived in the US, there were at least 50 such places with delicious pho. Don't get me started about Mexican food in Thailand vs. the USA. Moving back to the USA for me would mean having much better food overall, but I would miss the bum guns.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree with others an interesting post. I went back to the UK with my girlfriend this year for a month. Neither of us really wanted to come back, she certainly didn't. She couldn't get over how clean everything was. My home is in part of Cambridgeshire. never complained onces about being cold? (June) Having said that I would not like to live permantly in the UK now (not including the riots)

We live in Bangkok at the moment but are looking at maybe recocating to somewhere on the coast.

jb1

First problem I see was your choice to live in BKK. Yes for some people it is Ok, but I don't like the traffic, crowds, and filth everywhere. Maybe other choices in Thailand would have been better. Now if your talking moving from BKK to LAX or NYC or Chicago, then it is a better comparison

With my work here and in Hawaii, I eat much better here and at a lower cost and more choices. Again, depends where your coming from and going too. Most food was shipped in at a huge cost in Hawaii.

Yes I agree Service is much better in America, But part of the problem here is our (my) lack of understanding and communication skills.

I found driving in America as well as Hawaii a problem. 1 mph over the speed limit or Oops that was my turn, stop. and it was a ticket. I like riding motorbikes, and within minutes from my home I am out in the country side with no cars in site for hours, enjoying, year round. I have never felt unsafe here, but I am more aware of my driving.

Clearly some things cost less in the USA. Other things more. Some food less and others more. Imports here are more as they are there. local things here are less as they are there. My home here is 1/20 the cost of in Hawaii, and paid in full, it is mine.

I am sure the Air quality is better in Hawaii than anywhere in America, as well as BKK. but up here most of the time is not bad.

Happy to be here with my daughter, To much brain washing and prejudice in America. I also feel the future is in Asia and America is past it's prime and going down hill fast. Greed and a what's in it for me attitude.

Happy to be here for both the good and bad. Life is an adventure, and I am loving every minute of it

Personally I don't mind visits back home and enjoy making the comparisons as to what has changed from the last time we were there.

My cousin (a former member of this forum) on the other hand can't stand visits home and once he's done his round of family and friends is usually on a plane back here within 10 days.

Came back to North Idaho from Cha Am in mid May for a four month stay. Have only spent three weeks here in the last ten years and was amazed at the changes and the fantastic countryside. On the positive side the things that impressed me most are the traffic and how relaxing it is to drive here. The shopping, the amount of stuff available is mind boggling, and if you buy it and change your mind no questions in taking it back. Don't know whether to classify food as good or bad the quality is excellent the portions when you eat out are truly huge and a good portion always get thrown out. Food in the supermarket is excellent and for the most part reasonable priced. I should mention that we find eating out very expensive so don't do it that often. Also on the good side is spending a lot of time with relatives we haven't seen much of over the years, that is probably number one on the list of good things.

On the bad side on top of the list is the cost of medical. We qualify for medicare and and with the supplemental coverage it ends up costing the wife and I just over $9,000 US a year. And we are only here for four months a year I could go on about this but won't. TV really sucks and it has more commercials than program, and I thought it was bad in Cha Am. I do miss the sense of freedom in Thailand as you know if you do something wrong in Thailand driving a couple hundred baht fixes it up. No chance of that here. I got stopped by a city cop for failing to yield to a couple at a crosswalk, they had just stepped onto the road and since I was on the other side I didn't stop. Anyhow when the cop ask for my drivers license I gave him my Thai license, which greatly confused him. He went back to his car called in and then came back and said the Thai drivers license is not recognized in Idaho. He said I needed a US license to drive there, I said I could not get a license as I am not a permanent resident anywhere in the US and they will not issue a license unless you are permanent. He gave me my license back and said drive carefully and did not give me a ticket. To complicated for him I think. Got home and googled it and he was wrong you can drive with a foreign license as long is it is in English, One thing I really dislike coming back was the flight and going through immigration and customs in the US what a bunch of a$$holes.

One of the biggest reasons we decided to come back to the states for the summer was someday I will kick of and I don't think Thailand is the place for my wife to be on her own. Also the property prices in the US are very attractive right now and it seemed like a god long term investment.

All in all we feel we have the best of both worlds and will most likely end up spending 6 and 6 assuming it does not get to cold here during the 6 then we might back off a bit on this end.

Driving:

When I visit the USA and drive there, I can't stay awake. Everything on the roads is so calm and polite. No excitement. Have to slap myself constantly to stay alert. For what? Only saw a 3-4 accidents a year.

Conversely, Thailand is so exciting on the roads. Get to see 3-4 accidents a week. Virtually every moment is a white-knuckle moment . No problem with staying awake! wink.gif

B) I agree with the OP's comments having moved back to the US after living many years in Thailand. I really don't miss Thailand that much if any at all and was just there in June for a month. I also moved back with a Thai wife and child and eat almost exclusivelly Thai food at home. For me the thing I most missed about Thailand was my Thai family and now they are here with me.

Great opportunity for my wife as she has a decent job and our daughter is geting a good education.

I found Thailand as of 2 months ago not that cheap at all,especially compaared to the bargain it was in 2000 when I first arrived. In fact many things are more expensive.I also see a very rapid modernization which will lead to all the things we dislike about the west.

LL

The last time I was back in Thailand I was surprised at how dirty I found it.

As a colleague said "It doesn't seem to have moved forward in the last ten years".

I'm in Mumbai this week, so no doubt when I go back to Thailand, I will think I'm in Singapore...

My hair cut was good value, though, and I shall go there again for my next hair cut.

Anyway, as I told my former colleagues many years back, "If I was going to choose my job based on where I wanted to live, I'd not be working here..."

It's still true, and I don't think I would choose where to live based on the place.

SC

gotta say the food would get me...most americans live off burgers and fries....except for the wealthy ones

the asian food over there is appalling, chicken chow mein, chop suey, moo goo gai pann etc

and I would take Thai Stir-Fried Rice Noodles with Basil and Chillies - Kway Teow or americanized pho' anyday

gotta say the food would get me...most americans live off burgers and fries....except for the wealthy ones

the asian food over there is appalling, chicken chow mein, chop suey, moo goo gai pann etc

and I would take Thai Stir-Fried Rice Noodles with Basil and Chillies - Kway Teow or americanized pho' anyday

California alone has over 5 million Asian Americans, I don't see how anyone could say the Asian food there is appalling. A lot of it is very good and authentic. The diversity of food is the biggest advantage the US has over Thailand. Thai food is great and cheap here, but other cuisines are expensive and can be hard to find

And don't even get me started with health care cost

What no one seems to realise is that the USA is probably on it's last good days. With 14 trillion $ in debt and rising at billions a day, and with no politician consensus as to the way forward, China is one day going to want it's money back, and it'll be game over for the US.

Interest rates will be going up after the credit rating devaluation, and it's probably going to get a further downgrade as the last debt talkfest achieved little. The US is addicted to wars it won't fund and living beyond it's means.

Enjoy the good days while you can.

Oh really? You must watch a lot of crappy movies about the U.S. :lol:

I go to MacDonald's a lot more in Thailand than I ever did in the US and here only for the fish sandwich. In the US, Dominoes Pizza and Subway were my cheap choices. Taco Bell always made me sick but far better fast food Mexican alternatives exist for things like breakfast tacos.

I thought about moving to San Antonio for the cheap sanitary Mexican food. Tex Mex cooking is almost a reason to put up with Texas weather. Tex Mex chili I could eat daily. The food in New Orleans makes crime and hurricane dodging worthwhile. New York and San Fran speak for themselves but I am probably one of the few people who watched 9 1/2 weeks for the food scenes.

The US food scene is not only for the rich, family places still exist. But if they are really good chains try to buy them out. Chicago used to be great, you could watch the mob guys eat Italian at their restaurants that were never busy but made a fortune. What a great job for a restaurant manager. Once a week a guy came late at night with a briefcase full of money. No worries about food cost or profit. Take care of the boys and the money came in every week.

MacDonald's was headquartered outside of Chicago and had good penetration in Illinois but no locations in downtown Chicago. They were afraid of the mom and pop hot dog stands. I was there in the 1970's when they opened their first unit on the Near North Side. All the restaurant folk thought it would fail. Ah what faith we had in the palate of the average American. Misplaced of course and MacDonald's only took a couple of years to buy all the prime locations in Downtown Chicago.

I liked the dining in the US better when there were fewer chains but then you had to go to big cities for the variety.

I can now make do quite well in Pattaya and outside Pattaya I buy at Thai ,to go, places and adjust and re heat at home to insure sanitation. Some of the desserts available here are really awesome if you find the right family to make them. The banana leaf packaging is a win win for everyone. But I feel like I am catching the end of another era. It's going to change just like Mac conquered downtown Chicago it is going to conquer Asia. Too bad in a way but where troops failed in Vietnam KFC and MacDonald's will win.

Edited by kerryk

Here in Phuket, after playing volleyball on the beach, I can ride off with my ice cold "road soda" (large Heineken) in hand and no helmet to meet my friends for more sodas and dinner.

Often wanted to post a picture on Facebook to my friends in California to ask "how many U.S. laws am I breaking here?". In California you can't even drink beer on the beach anymore.

And don't even get me started with health care cost

What no one seems to realise is that the USA is probably on it's last good days. With 14 trillion $ in debt and rising at billions a day, and with no politician consensus as to the way forward, China is one day going to want it's money back, and it'll be game over for the US.

Interest rates will be going up after the credit rating devaluation, and it's probably going to get a further downgrade as the last debt talkfest achieved little. The US is addicted to wars it won't fund and living beyond it's means.

Enjoy the good days while you can.

Nonsense, the American economy is the most resilient in the world.

Nice thread!

We (Thai wife) live in California, but plan to retire to Thailand in a few years so these comments are good.

We visit over in Thailand each year for 3 weeks, but realize visiting, and living, are different. Our ultimate goal will not be BKK. My wife is from the Cha Am area which is more expensive than most, but less than BKK.

My observations for the 2 satang it's worth

I had lunch today with a client at a favorite mom and pop Thai restaurant. Two dishes, and a Thai iced tea for him and the total bill with tip was $21. I live about 17 miles from Los Angeles and there are loads of great Asian restaurants here, but costly. Our lunch spot is on the very low side of the price scale.

I would also miss the Mexican street food, four small tacos for $5.99

I mostly stay away from fast food, but the "combo meals" that have a burger/sandwich, fries and soda are around $5.50 - $7.00

Good food available at the markets, and if you shop there are good deals. We do a lot of shopping at the Asian markets. Prices can be cheaper than mainstream markets, but quality can be different.

Housing here in Southern California has dropped a lot, but still expensive. A 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo in a decent area would be ~$250,000

rent for the same place around $1600+. If you own then 1.25% of your purchase price is your yearly tax.

I do realize service is generally ahead here, but being pretty easy going, personally not a big problem.

Again I have not spent more than 3 weeks in Thailand at a time, so when we do go we are planning on having enough of a safety valve to return, but the costs to me seem to be pretty much lower in Thailand, if you don't need western foods constantly.

But I'm here to learn!!

I would also miss the Mexican street food, four small tacos for $5.99

I mostly stay away from fast food, but the "combo meals" that have a burger/sandwich, fries and soda are around $5.50 - $7.00

I too miss my Mexican street food coming from So. Cal and living in Thailand, but when I'm in the U.S., I miss my Thai street food. 100thb (3.33$) nets me a couple of dishes and rice. Much healthier fare too.

But don't get me wrong, I'm due for my annual U.S. trip and my first stop will be for a chile verde burrito at quite a good Mexican restaurant at Southwest's terminal 1-LAX. Looking forward to that.............

You made me laugh! When were you in the US? Iowa in the 1950's?

The US and Thailand are so diverse depending on what region you reside that it is almost impossible to make a comparison even with something even a mundane as availability a variety of cultural food. In many respects, Los Angeles, Calfiornia has more in common with Bangkok than it does with Indianapolis, Indiana. IMHO many of the advantages that Thailand has over the US quickly disappear if you have plenty of money. There are even loads of young beautiful women available in the US to older guys that have big bucks which takes away one of the biggest advantages of LOS or to put it another way, I don't think we are ever going to see Donald Trump chasing young beautiful women in Thailand.

There are even loads of young beautiful women available in the US to older guys that have big bucks which takes away one of the biggest advantages of LOS or to put it another way, I don't think we are ever going to see Donald Trump chasing young beautiful women in Thailand.

Well that is great for men with as much money as Donald Trump,but less wealthy men are going to do WAY better in Thailand. :whistling:

Edited by Ulysses G.

You made me laugh! When were you in the US? Iowa in the 1950's?

Sounds very much like Sth Georgia the last time I visited.

The US and Thailand are so diverse depending on what region you reside that it is almost impossible to make a comparison even with something even a mundane as availability a variety of cultural food. In many respects, Los Angeles, Calfiornia has more in common with Bangkok than it does with Indianapolis, Indiana. IMHO many of the advantages that Thailand has over the US quickly disappear if you have plenty of money. There are even loads of young beautiful women available in the US to older guys that have big bucks which takes away one of the biggest advantages of LOS or to put it another way, I don't think we are ever going to see Donald Trump chasing young beautiful women in Thailand.

The Donald would quickly fall for a katoey in Thailand. The hair envy would be too much.