Interesting Alternative Health Courses?

massagehound

Hello!

I've been having a read at this forum for a while now, but haven't posted before.

I'm heading to Chiang Mai in October, and would love to find an interesting course that I could do while there. I'd love to do medical cupping or something else a little 'off the wall'.

Where would be the best place to find some kind of directory, or something similar. I did find cupping courses (in the classifieds) but they were too far south for me to get to.

Any help at all would be really great :)

<_< It was a serious question, but maybe it's not worth the hassle. Mods can lock this topic if it's going to be like that!

Okay, I'll bite. What is "cupping". I read a lot about alternative medical treatments and nutrition, but I've not heard that term before.

Oh, ok, I'm not messing, it's a Traditional Chinese Medicine technique, used quite commonly by accupuncturists.

Glass cups are heated and placed on the skin, the heat causes a vacuum, and draws blood to the surface.

Can I include a link? http://www.tcmwell.com/TCMNaturalTherapy/GuashaCupping/Alternative-Medical-Treatment---Fire-Cupping.html

Hope that's ok :)

Cupping is real thing, but it seems pretty silly to me - at least it doesn't hurt. It also makes it look like you have hickeys all over your back.

If you really want to waste some money, maybe consider becoming a "Reiki Master" with one of those expensive two day courses that other "Reiki Masters" sell. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

"it's a Traditional Chinese Medicine technique"...

We all did this little and innocent trick as a child, "kissing" (and sucking) someone, preferably in his/her neck with a red spot for some time as the result.

I am afraid that the use of the word technique is a bit over the top but it seems to make it sound much more scientific.

And that always is one of the tricks of these charlatans involved in this BS to get some money out of your pockets.

"Glass cups are heated and placed on the skin, the heat causes a vacuum, and draws blood to the surface"...

So?

If it was true what you say you would have a serious health problem!

What about Abdominal Detox Massage, also know as Chi Nei Tsang.

Great suggestion! I hadn't thought of that, and it is available in Chiang Mai! It fits perfectly with the direction I want to take my studies.

Thanks so much for a helpful, relevant response :D

cnxnicolas - thanks for giving your opinion. I used to think all 'alternative' solutions were BS, but I have found certain techniques that help, and others that do nothing. There are indeed many charlatans, but it does no harm if I approach subjects as a skeptic and find something beneficial in it.

Edited by massagehound