Legendary British Farmer Joe Loses Water-Tight 30-Year Lease In Thailand

webfact

Depressing .. but not unique ... actually always had the impression that farang was not allowed to be involved in any kind of farming or agricultural business in general

Be good if they were then you could get 2 litres of decent tasting milk for (1 pound) 49bht, just as you can in England.

Actually, you can get decent tasting milk - Meiji . . .

Ha, sure, if you like re-constituted powdered milk from china that tastes more watery than skim milk in the west

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depressing .. but not unique ... actually always had the impression that farang was not allowed to be involved in any kind of farming or agricultural business in general

Be good if they were then you could get 2 litres of decent tasting milk for (1 pound) 49bht, just as you can in England.

Yesss , just made the comparison the other day myself ... milk was around 45 % more expensive here than from where I am from , actually most of the basics are more expensive here except for sugar which is very cheap here ... and veggies do not really look that good either ... so a lot of GOOD farmers from the right places could for sure make a difference .. but that is just a dream ..

Another case of screwing the farang? I think a high percentage of the Thai population don't know the difference between right and wrong, or simply don't have any morals.

My take on this: foreigners have few rights in Thailand. Keep renting and you can't go far wrong. Don't buy anything you can't put in your name.

Some people just don't get the message and keep coming back for more?

Maybe citing the old saying "dont invest more in Thailand, that you are prepared to walk away from" is approriate at this juncture....:rolleyes:

Spot on. I'm setting up shop here... Gonna do it mainly for experience and to make a quick buck -- perhaps start a lasting corporation. However, I fully understand that someday it'll all be taken away from me. That's cool with me as long as I have the clothes on my back and the freedom to start over again.

Another case of screwing the farang? I think a high percentage of the Thai population don't know the difference between right and wrong, or simply don't have any morals.

My take on this: foreigners have few rights in Thailand. Keep renting and you can't go far wrong. Don't buy anything you can't put in your name.

Some people just don't get the message and keep coming back for more?

Maybe citing the old saying "dont invest more in Thailand, that you are prepared to walk away from" is approriate at this juncture....:rolleyes:

Spot on. I'm setting up shop here... Gonna do it mainly for experience and to make a quick buck -- perhaps start a lasting corporation. However, I fully understand that someday it'll all be taken away from me. That's cool with me as long as I have the clothes on my back and the freedom to start over again.

If you've got the clothes on your back and a bit of money,why aren't you happy already,having heard horror stories, your just another standing in line for idiocy!!

A close friend of mine has been married to a Thai for close to twenty-years. The wife owns several rai of commercial and agricultural land in southern Thailand, but, all of their liquid assets are in a US bank. Under the advice of their Thai / American attorney, the land is held only in the wife's name; while the real cash is safely offshore, in both their names. The local government has no knowledge of this connection.

It seems to work for them.

Edited by thaigold

Look, i hate educating fools, but if a girl takes everything off you, house land etc... here's the trick to get it back, trade with them, they give you your things back and you give them two mobile phones a TV , a Fino and a mirror in return,they will go for it, believe me....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

A post commenting on moderation has been removed. As to the overly negative comments on Thais, remember these rules:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

About moderation:

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Very sad. I saw and hear about these stories many times

However, many times I have to conclude, that the Thai (wife) is much smarter than the farang. Farangs looks many times so stupid

It just takes an IQ of 12 and a vibrant greed to forge a legal document to steal a property. No "smart" wife spotted here.

Don't ever think that a case like this will only happen to a farang.

Thai people can, and have, the same problems.

This is true. I was chatting to a Bangkok taxi driver the other day who had just returned from Saudi where he'd been working in a factory for a couple of years and sending over money to his fiance. He came back to find his fiance and the money nowhere to be found. Amounted to three and a half million baht. When I asked him how he felt about it he just said, 'I was stupid.'

It would be refreashing to hear more farangs admit their stupidity rather than become cynical and bitter because they were basically stupid.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Any farang that puts 22 rai of land in the name of a Thai wife is insane. Do you think she married that old goat for love and companionship ? Thais marry all farang for money...nothing else.

Mines different.

To whom it may concern:check your 30 year leases!

Better still really check your Thai wive's background, to see boyfriend or husband waiting to get your loot!

Seen it too many times with too many friends! They lost everything!

If a Thai woman loves you ask her to marry you for nothing! See her run! To the next.... opportunity...:jap:

you have a very clever wife. beware.

seriously

I'm not a Lawyer but i think this a far better agreement, much cheaper to set up and it's for your life.

Usufruct Agreements in Thailand

Usufruct contracts are governed by sections 1417 to 1428 of the Commercial and Civil Code of Thailand. A usufruct is a right granted by the owner(s) of the land/house in favor of a usufructuary whereby this person has the right to possess, use and enjoy the benefits of an immovable property (section 1417 CCCT). The usufructuary has the right to manage the property (sect 1414 CCCT). It can be on a piece of land, on a house or on both of them.

I tried to get a usufruct stamp (yes, one exists) from the lands department in Koh Samui. My wife was present and fully supported the stamp as it made our marriage 'equal' and took pressure off her from her mother who was taking a very keen interest in our assets. The land officer (the big boss in the office might I add) refused to issue one to us despite both parties asking and our land title being clear, undisputed chanote in my wifes name. His reasoning was that she shouldn't trust me because I was farang and a usufruct stamp was going against the interests of the country.

Seriously.

Some inflammatory posts have been removed:

4) Not to flame fellow members.

Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Hmmmmmmmmmm Turkey Farmer.<BR><BR>Leaves children in UK for HM Gov to look after, then gets given the bird by Thai wife.<BR><BR>I love poetry.<BR><BR>I rented a house and 20 rai near Rayong paid 4500 baht a month. Locals said I paid a bit too much but what the hell.<BR><BR>Why buy? if you want to give Thai friend/wife a big present do it with eyes open.<BR><BR>Is there anyone on here that has not been ripped off even for small money, I think not.<BR>

Like my ex said before she ripped off with our House in Rangsit AND the house in Chang Rai.... You farang think you are smart but we Thai girls are smarter!.....

Took off with everything..... and back home to Thai brother turned out to be her husband!.............

I was 35 then thought I knew everything.... she was 20 I though.. a picture of innocence........but very well coxed by her mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am 51 back in Australia and glad to be out of that hell-hole!

Now we go there, root the best, pay on the spot and go back home.... what I should have done 16 years ago.... Love.... To Thai women its a word to rip us all off.....

Any farang that puts 22 rai of land in the name of a Thai wife is insane. Do you think she married that old goat for love and companionship ? Thais marry all farang for money...nothing else.

You might be a bit harsh even though you are right in the basics.

What I am wondering all the time is: if you were in the UK, would you ever sign any contract you can't read and understand? It amazes me that foreigners trust people in countries like Thailand more than they would trust their compatriots back home.

But still, this case is an example of a real bitch.

Thailand's divorce settlement law is no different from most othere countries........ you split any assets you contribute to the marriage 50/50. You also have to split any debts accrued in the same way.

Of course you cannot own any Thai land.

My take on some of the remarks :-

A foreigner cannot be an agricultural worker, but he can own a business (with the requisite Thai partners). So he should be OK there.

With the 'added' clause in his lease - should take a notarised photocopy of any legal document when it is signed (including the back of each page!)

To go up against a Thai business in the same field is asking for trouble - look at the way Chang took Carlsberg to the cleaners. And you're not as clever as Carlsberg, however bright you think yourself.

I went broke in Thailand - I'm slowly recovering in Vietnam. Much better place to be - apart from missing the sleaze.

Carlsberg lost the case, take care in the land of smiles and corruption. My caddi asked to borrow 67,000 baht to bribe the judge ect. I refused.

I hate to say it, but I have not seen anything to disprove this statement.

What a crock. I finally found a gal. Close to my age herethat is ok at best. When she says I want a home I tell her to go find anotherfarang. This story is not unique all over the internet for years. These stupidEuropeans? I will never understand these guys. Before I came here to live Iread the basics. 1: Keep your investments in your home country. 2: Never buyanything other than a car and motorcycle. 3: Keep a home or plan for retreat inyour home country.

I cannot tell you how many European's just could care less. And then complainabout the laws, and being mistreated. Thailand is way down on the retirement list for good places to retire. So we come here and screw a whore 20-30 years our junior and then complain about being tood to the cleaners. It is laughable. I have been here 3 years and like it ok. But not enough to give away my money..

What a crock.

To whom it may concern:check your 30 year leases!

Why bother if the Thai who it is with can change it right before any court appearance and have the court believe them...

Edited by garyk

Why do farangs keep trying to own houses and land when the Thai government most clearly only wants them to own condos? It really doesn't make much sense to me, and the situation is only going to get worse as the government becomes more aware of what goes on and clamps down on the various tricks that are used to get around the law.

I wouldn't put a penny into anything, anywhere, that isn't 100% in my sole name.

If in Thailand that limits me to bank savings accounts and 49% of condo buildings, so be it. Why would I need more?

At least they will all (probably) stay 100% in my name until I snuff it.