Hp Laptop To Samsung Tv

wilsonf

I have an older HP Laptop a Pavilion xd8007ea, that I bought in 2005 I want to connect it to a 32" Samsung TV. I have the correct cable to do this, but can not get the TV to show the display from the computer. I have an Eee PC notebook that I have connected to the TV and it has a function key that allows me to either have the display on the TV only, or on the TV and the notebook, or just the notebook itself. So I know the TV is OK and also the connecting cable. On the HP Laptop there does not appear to be a function key for an external display, the F4 key only alters the resolution on the laptop screen. Previously (couple of years ago)I have plugged in a monitor from another computer into the HP Laptop, and it has displayed straight away. Since that time however I had to have work done on the Laptop due to it crashing, and wonder if any settings may have been altered. I hope the foregoing information is of help in answering my question of how I get the laptop to display on the Samsung TV. Being not very computer literate I would appreciate any help - but in the simplest form of instructions possible!!, Many thanks in anticipation.

Some Samsung monitors adhere too strictly to the VGA standard, and want to see signals on the connector that are not generally used. In my case, I have a 26" Samsung T260HD that wouldn't recognize my HP ZV6130 laptop, until I modified the cable to ground pin 10 to the connector shell. Inside the HP, it was a no-connect, but the Samsung wanted to see GROUND on that pin. Works perfectly now. I did the modification at the MONITOR end, because some cables don't have the wire connecting pin 10 inside.

Best to borrow another monitor first, and be sure your laptop is working, then Google "Samsung LCD VGA problem" - here's one:http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-319407.html

Good luck.

Using Windows XP go to Settings>Control Panel>Display>Settings> click on screen 2 and select (multiple monitors) and check 'extend my Windows desktop to this monitor'

Worked fine for me last week (though not same equipment as you) to watch a movie.

You might have to drag what you want to see (eg. Media Player) from your laptop window onto the telly screen.

Using Windows XP go to Settings>Control Panel>Display>Settings> click on screen 2 and select (multiple monitors) and check 'extend my Windows desktop to this monitor'

Worked fine for me last week (though not same equipment as you) to watch a movie.

You might have to drag what you want to see (eg. Media Player) from your laptop window onto the telly screen.

I tried this and it didn't work, the desktop did not display on the TV, a message said I had to confirm the settings in six secods or it would revert to the earlier settings, I let it revert, but when it did this I had a plain blue screen instead of the picture I use on my desktop. Putting the picture back on as my desktop, I now find that the text below the icons on my desktop are all in little blue boxes whereas before only the Icon and text were displayed as if on top of my desktop picture. I've tried to get back to my original display, but can't find how to get rid of all these little blue 'text' boxes under the icons

Try pressing the fn key at the same time the F5 key and you should get a picture of three screens, you want the middle one so press F5 once!

The F5 function key on my laptop has 'crescent moon' symbol on it, so I'm not sure if its function is related to the monitors or display, The F4 function Key has a TV sysmbol on it, but it only alters the resolution on the Laptop. On my notebook the F8 function key has two monitors on it, and this will produce the picture from the notebook.

The laptop does not appear to have a function key to perform the task required.

I tried this and it didn't work, the desktop did not display on the TV, a message said I had to confirm the settings in six secods or it would revert to the earlier settings, I let it revert, but when it did this I had a plain blue screen instead of the picture I use on my desktop. Putting the picture back on as my desktop, I now find that the text below the icons on my desktop are all in little blue boxes whereas before only the Icon and text were displayed as if on top of my desktop picture. I've tried to get back to my original display, but can't find how to get rid of all these little blue 'text' boxes under the icons

It doesn't display the desktop on the telly screen, just a plain blue screen, you then launch your programme and drag it over to the telly screen.

I had the problem with the blue test boxes under the icons many years ago but cannot remember how I fixed it, or even if I did fix it. Try playing with 'Desktop' and 'Appearance' settings in Control Panel>Display as you can change colours there

Try pressing the fn key at the same time the F5 key and you should get a picture of three screens, you want the middle one so press F5 once!

The F5 function key on my laptop has 'crescent moon' symbol on it, so I'm not sure if its function is related to the monitors or display, The F4 function Key has a TV sysmbol on it, but it only alters the resolution on the Laptop. On my notebook the F8 function key has two monitors on it, and this will produce the picture from the notebook.

What do you mean?

On my computer it's F7 and will switch between external monitor and notebook, but only when the monitor is connected. If not connected it reverts to the notebook display after a few seconds. Are you trying it with the telly connected?

What do you mean?

On my computer it's F7 and will switch between external monitor and notebook, but only when the monitor is connected. If not connected it reverts to the notebook display after a few seconds. Are you trying it with the telly connected?

I have a HP laptop, and a Eee Pc notebook, the notebook works fine in displaying on the TV, the F8 function key has the symbol of monitor & TV on it and I only need to press this for my desktop to display on the TV.

On the HP Laptop being some six years old, the function keys differ from later models, It was initially suggested I press the F5 function Key which has the symbol of a crescent moon on it, this did not work, it was then suggested that perhaps it was the F4 function key, but this only changes the screen resolution on my laptop, you suggest the F7 function key, this key according to the symbol is for decreasing the brightness of my screen display. I can't understand why I should need to use any key for an external display to appear. A couple of years back my laptop developed a fault on the screen in that it had white lines on it, in order to check it was a screen problem, rather than a graphics card problem, I plugged in the LCD monitor from my strand alone PC, it displayed the desktop from my laptop straight away, the only difference being the resolution it displayed it at. I do have of course the TV connected when trying out these suggestions.

^OK, you have 2 machines, a notebook that has a function key (F8) to toggle between internal and external monitors and a laptop that doesn't.

On the laptop you'll just have to try the way I suggested. You won't see your dektop picture and icons on the telly, just a blank screen.

Launch your video application and click and hold the top left corner and drag your mouse (or touchpad) to the right and the app should appear on the telly.

Otherwise put the vid you want to play onto the notebook that has the toggle and watch it from that.

Edit: this way works fine on a 5 year old Dell I have as well as an older Acer that I used previously.

Edited by PattayaParent

^OK, you have 2 machines, a notebook that has a function key (F8) to toggle between internal and external monitors and a laptop that doesn't.

On the laptop you'll just have to try the way I suggested. You won't see your dektop picture and icons on the telly, just a blank screen.

Launch your video application and click and hold the top left corner and drag your mouse (or touchpad) to the right and the app should appear on the telly.

Otherwise put the vid you want to play onto the notebook that has the toggle and watch it from that.

Edit: this way works fine on a 5 year old Dell I have as well as an older Acer that I used previously.

Don't want to use TV to watch Video's, have DVD player for that, want to watch UK TV and need to use laptop as it has more memory than notebook otherwise I'd just use notebook and forget about laptop

Don't want to use TV to watch Video's, have DVD player for that, want to watch UK TV and need to use laptop as it has more memory than notebook otherwise I'd just use notebook and forget about laptop

Then try launching the UK TV website / application and then drag that over to the telly monitor.