Phuket Taxi Mob Beats Driver In Broad Daylight

webfact

Phuket taxi mob beats driver in broad daylight

PHUKET: -- A gang of taxi drivers encamped outside an upscale resort on Phuket's west coast today beat a local driver with an iron bar before causing a reported 50,000 baht in damage to his car.

His tourist passengers were reportedly inside the vehicle at the time of the attack.

Preecha Choowong, 38, filed a complaint at Kamala Police Station this afternoon, after receiving treatment for his head wound at Patong Hospital.

Mr Preecha, a driver for the Kok Chang Safari elephant camp in Kata Noi, arrived at the Cape Sienna resort in Kamala at about 12:30pm to pick up Australian tourist Glenn Dawson.

About six drivers outside the resort pulled Mr Preecha from his Honda Civic and started to beat him.

One of the attackers hit him on the head with an iron bar.

The same iron bar was used to damage his car, smashing the windscreen and breaking a side mirror.

"Considering the state he [Preecha] was in when he arrived to file the complaint, we told him to go to Patong Hospital for treatment first, then come back and file his complaint," said Kamala Police Duty Officer Anek Mongkol.

Lt Col Anek said his officers were now investigating the complaint in order to press charges for gang attack causing bodily and property damage.

The attack today comes just days after the Austrian Ambassador to Thailand laid bare a caution for Phuket authorities to start taking serious steps to resolve the continual, brutal antics of lawless drivers on the island.

If the renegade drivers could not be controlled, European embassies might be forced to issue a travel advisory warning tourists not to use tuk-tuks in Phuket, Ambassador Johannes Peterlik said.

That warning followed the beating of a German man, who days ago regained consciousness from a coma, and the recent beating of two Dutch tourists, who both received hospital treatment, in Patong.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=10927

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-09-05

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people go to phuket?sick.gif

Because it is a very nice place with lots of things to see and do.

As the editor of another news source said: "It would be a shame to overstate the scale of the problem. The vast majority of people have a wonderful time on holiday on Phuket. But while there is a lawless element among the tuk-tuk drivers and jet-ski operators - and now, apparently, motorcycle hirers - Phuket will suffer. Incidents of intimidation, violence and fraud should not happen on Phuket."

What will it take for the government to do something? The senate heard from the tailors about the alleged millions in shakedowns, the jetskis are allowed to rip off tourists and all of these beatings and attacks from the tuk tuk drivers, all of whom appear to be protected by local government and police officials.

Does anyone care or will it continue to be ignored and excused away? Enough is enough. Do something.

While there's no solution in sight maybe current thaivisa members, who take this so close to heart, can come up with some new methods of delivering their cause to future potential tourists?

I dont know what would work but perhaps a grassroots effort like a dedicated website or something (without bias/stereotyping) that gives the known stats on these events (similar to the accident numbers they publish in the news after songkran). Either way the last 3 years I've been watching people's concerns on this issue being repeated with nothing happening and a new approach is required (if this topic is of great importance to yourself).

Personally it doesnt affect myself so much as I dont have a business here and I have my own transportation. But there definitely seems to be more than a handful of posters that are capable of tackling the issue in a more meaningful way yielding results more to their liking?

Nice of the police to tell him to head off to the hospital and then come back to complain.

I would have thought the police would have either taken him there or called an ambulance. Surely anyone beaten about the head could be a danger on the roads, he may have even blacked out and ran into a group of tuk tuk drivers.

While there's no solution in sight maybe current thaivisa members, who take this so close to heart, can come up with some new methods of delivering their cause to future potential tourists?

I dont know what would work but perhaps a grassroots effort like a dedicated website or something (without bias/stereotyping) that gives the known stats on these events (similar to the accident numbers they publish in the news after songkran). Either way the last 3 years I've been watching people's concerns on this issue being repeated with nothing happening and a new approach is required (if this topic is of great importance to yourself).

Personally it doesnt affect myself so much as I dont have a business here and I have my own transportation. But there definitely seems to be more than a handful of posters that are capable of tackling the issue in a more meaningful way yielding results more to their liking?

Great idea dedicated websites put it all online so people can read every victim reports ,media reports , forum links, dedicated sections for each scam let everyone see the truth about these crimes and corruption tourists to Thailand face daily.

Interesting to see what will happen in this case, as the thugs were beating up on an innocent Thai guy going about his business.

I wonder if there will be any excuses forthcoming, like in the German guys case...Where the official stated there was no excuse for this...BUT...it was important that people should not consider pricing factors in relation to distance travelled. (or words to that effect)

Maybe since there was two Thai's involved maybe they will say its OK because the guy was repeatedly warned to stay off this particular turf

Maybe we should give credit to the thugs for warning the tourists to **** off instead of beating them up as well

Edited by ozzieovaseas

As the editor of another news source said: "It would be a shame to overstate the scale of the problem. The vast majority of people have a wonderful time on holiday on Phuket. But while there is a lawless element among the tuk-tuk drivers and jet-ski operators - and now, apparently, motorcycle hirers - Phuket will suffer. Incidents of intimidation, violence and fraud should not happen on Phuket."

My last 2 visits I had major problems with these tuk tuk drivers. One was because we parked in their "special" zone. No signs, nothing. Just a few drivers walked over and very rudely told us to move. It was early in the day, no other cars around...but that was their spot.

The other time was trying to get a ride from Karon over to Patong. The drivers outside our hotel were offering outrageous rates. The hotel owner apologized and called them mafia. I ended up renting a scooter instead....for much less than 1/2 the price of their one way offer.

I vote with my money...won't be going again anytime soon.

Hmmm.

Maybe start a new "crackdown" :whistling:

Phuket used to be a great destination ...20 years ago it was really really different . I guess its normal, in over crowed touristic areas, to have those problems. I stopped to go to Phuket yearsssssssss ago and I dont miss it one minute. There are enough nice places in Thailand .

It would be great if a warning was issued to stay out of Phuket. Too bad for the honest people working there. But it might send a signal to do something. Because nothing is ever done.

Big warning from all European countries together and given some media coverage might do a lot more then all this talk. Sure it will hurt some businesses but in the end it is better for them and the tourist alike.

Unfortunately those dreams will never come true.

Great idea dedicated websites put it all online so people can read every victim reports ,media reports , forum links, dedicated sections for each scam let everyone see the truth about these crimes and corruption tourists to Thailand face daily.

Agree great idea but how long would it remain open before being forced to shut down for actually publishing fact.

"If the renegade drivers could not be controlled, European embassies might be forced to issue a travel advisory warning tourists not to use tuk-tuks in Phuket, Ambassador Johannes Peterlik said."

PLEASE DO IT !!!! Now we are talking. Local authorities will do nothing about the problem, that is 100% sure.

What needs to happen is screw the website complain to your local embassy about how dangerous the situation is. Enough of those and you get a travel advisory issued warning people to stay away from that particular area. The fact that this has been going on over and over again is just short of ridiculous. The only way to teach these bandits a lesson is to stop paying their ransom let them go back to coconut farming. That seems to be the direction Thailand is heading we want your money we don't want to provide you a safe tourist destination or the quality of service you would expect from a great country like Thailand. It blows my mind going to Cambodia about how great the staff are in many places. I imagine Thailand was much the same way before the criminals figured out its much easier to take than earn. Vote with your feet. I have been to Phuket 1 time and it will be the last time overpriced, ridiculous transportation situation you can't even enjoy the beach without some asshat telling you "You buy chair beach not free"

Edited by BigRick

It would be great if a warning was issued to stay out of Phuket. Too bad for the honest people working there. But it might send a signal to do something. Because nothing is ever done.

Big warning from all European countries together and given some media coverage might do a lot more then all this talk. Sure it will hurt some businesses but in the end it is better for them and the tourist alike.

Unfortunately those dreams will never come true.

Maybe Discovery Channel can send Diego Buñuel and his team from the show "Don't Tell My Mother" (I am in Phuket). :unsure:

"If the renegade drivers could not be controlled, European embassies might be forced to issue a travel advisory warning tourists not to use tuk-tuks in Phuket, Ambassador Johannes Peterlik said."

PLEASE DO IT !!!! Now we are talking. Local authorities will do nothing about the problem, that is 100% sure.

I have lived very safely & happily in PATTAYA for 19 years. I had to visit Phuket, last week, on business and I was very glad to be flying out of there again, after 3 days.

Brilliant Marinas; Terrific Restaurants (9th Floor: WAUW ! !); but the entire undertone (Patong-Beach area) I found very sub-standard and even 'un-pleasant'!

Apart from all that; the prices people charge for tings like Coffee & American Breakfast are ludicrous ! ! I like Pattaya and I am very happy to have come home again ! !

PS: Before you 'anti-Ptty-ers' start: one does not HAVE to go to Walking-Streets; Sois 6; 7 and/or 8.

Heck; We even have a Vineyard >15 minutes drive from Pattaya . . . . .

:jap:

Edited by jaapfries

Just another black eye for Thai tourism, which in case you have not noticed, is a dying industry. Give Thailand ten years, and they will be a tourist industry footnote. The authorities are doing NOTHING to improve Thailand on any level, for tourists. The level of arrogance is astonishing. Nothing needs to be done, because we are already so perfect, and it is beyond the Thai people to do anything wrong. Our extreme intelligence allows us to get everything right, every time. Therefore, nothing has to change. The fault lies within the fareng. If a problem occurs, it is the fault of the fareng. It is this mentality that is reducing Thailand to the tourist laughing stock of the planet. Just give it time. These tuk tuk drivers should be arrested, tried, convicted, and sentenced to a minimum of 5 to 10 years of hard time, with fines of a 1,000,000 baht each. Do you know how quickly the problems would stop? Overnight. The toy police are doing nothing, and are apathetic, and incompetent as usual. In other words, business as usual. But, not for long.

Agree great idea but how long would it remain open before being forced to shut down for actually publishing fact.

Maybe a few brave souls with a deathwish, could hand out phamlets to tourists as the come out of the airport immigration hall, outlining all the risks of scams and bodily harm they are liable to stumble into, .

Wow...that must be some really delicious Kool Aide. Another nail pounded firmly into the coffin lid of Phuket.

I sold my business interests in Phuket last year and I am happy I did.

The sooner the world can stop pretending Phuket is anything more than Pattaya on an island the better. Let it die and will it to the Cheapskates, Indians and Russians like they did with Pattaya. There are plenty of other nice beaches in Thailand where there aren't roving bands of murderous thugs.

Problem is; there are issues of defamation and libel and genuine damage to businesses sincerely trying to ply there trade in a legal and professional way. About the only thing one could do with immunity is to objectively post articles that state the incidences and leave it at that. Plenty of higher ups read this forum. They may be useless to you and I, but I guarantee they know what's go0ing on, and they will play their cards the way they see fit.+

The fact of the matter is this;

Why aren't the multi-billion dollar corporations and hotels and resorts down there doing a dam_n thing about these issues?

Why are they so silent throughout all of this?

Why are they allowing the scum to collect outside their businesses, and openly scam their the customers at the resort and hotel lobby and foyer areas?

Why aren't they protecting their interests; i.e. their paying customers?

Perhaps it is not a police matter after all.

Perhaps the focus and scorn should be directed upon the businesses that John and Jane tourist pay rent for, that do not a dam_n thing to warn their customers, provide alternate transportation services, or take the issue directly to Phuket City Hall.

Pretty dam_n suspicious if you ask me!

Does this have anything to do with that opinion article on "Tolerance" for your brother and sister; and the tourists be damned?

Is this behavior included in the Thai culture course? Perhaps they overlooked that section of the manual?

Phuket is overpriced with hotels, food, taxi, beach services a.s.o.. Many Thai people here are unfriendly and only looking to make quick and easy money. Foreigners are beneath their dignity. This behaviour can be observed at Phuket, Pattaya and some other tourist hotspots in Thailand. Just stay away from these places. Thailand and other nice countries on this planet have many other more beautiful and more friendly places to offer.

Taxis, songthaews and tuk tuks in tourist areas of Thailand are really just too much. Had more than a few less than desirable experiences with the like. Worst part of the Thai tourism industry, without a doubt, in my opinion.

However, outside of tourist areas I've never had a problem. A trip that would probably cost hundreds of baht in a place like Phuket cost me 10 baht in a rural area of Thailand, and a beautiful rural area, to boot!