Let's Learn One Word A Day.

Neeranam

7:44 2007/08/17

(Extracted from the postings to KK D Forum)

17Aug2007 birth registration for Siifaa-chan (in Japanese)

皆さん:

今朝早くエアコンバスでバンコクに到着しました。シーファーちゃんの日本国への出生届けをバンコクの在タイ日本国大使館領事部旅券課で行いました。

在タイ日本国大使館はルンピニ公園の前のウィタユ道路にあります

大使館は早朝のためにまだ開いていませんでした。

大使館が開くまでの時間、大使館の近くのインターネットカフェーからこの記事を投稿します。

ありがとう。

19:00 2007/08/17

17Aug2007 arrived in my home in KKC (in Japanese)

ブライアンさん:

たった今バンコクより帰宅しました。

昨夜夜行のエアコンバスでバンコクに向かいましたが、17日の早朝バンコクの日本大使館で出生届けの書類提出のためにわずか1時間だけ過ごしました。私の奥さんは虫垂炎の手術後まだ十分な回復をしていないので、すぐにコーンケーンの自宅にトンボ帰りしました。

カイちゃんはもうすっかり回復しています。

カイちゃんには今週一杯幼稚園をお休みして家で養生するようにお願いしました。

ありがとう。

17Aug2007 birth registration for Siifaa-chan (in English)

Hi all:

I arrived in BKK early in this morning by a/c bus to visit the Japanese Embassy for registration of the Japanese citizenship for Siifaa-chan.

The Japanese embassy is located in Thanon Wittayu just in front of Rumpini Park. It is not opened yet. While I'm waiting for opening of the embassy, I can have time to post this from internet cafe just adjacent to the embassy.

Thank you.

17Aug2007 arrived in my home in KKC (in English)

Bryan-san:

I've just come back to my home from BKK.

Last night I went to BKK and I spent only one hour for the documentation in the early morning at the Japanese embassy and came back immediately because my wife is recovering but not perfect yet. As for Kai-chan, she is all right. Only thing I requested to Kai-chan is taking rest in my home in this whole week.

Thank you.

17Aug2007 birth registration for Siifaa-chan (in Thai)

สวัสดีครับพี่น้อง:

ผมถึงกรุงเทพฯแต่เช้านี้ใช้รถเมล์แอร์เพื่อจดทะเบียนเกิดของสีฟ้าจังที่สถานทูตญี่ปุ่น

สถานเอกอัครราชทูตญี่ปุ่นอยู่ที่ถนนวิทยุประจัญหน้าสวนลุมพินี

สถานเอกอัครราชทูตญี่ปุ่นยังไม่เปิด

เมื่อผมรอการเปิดของสถานเอกอัครราชทูตญี่ปุ่น ผมก็ส่งจดหมายจากอินเทอร์เน็ตคาเฟ่ใกล้ๆจากสถานเอกอัครราชทูตญี่ปุ่น

ขอบคุณมากขรับ

17Aug2007 arrived in my home in KKC (in Thai)

คุณBryan:

ผมกลับบ้านมาจากกรุงเทพฯแล้ว

เมื่อคืนผมไปกรุงเทพฯแต่เช้านั้นอยู่ที่ตรงนั้นหนึ่งชั่วโมงเดี่ยวเพื่อให้สถานเอกอัครราชทูตญี่ปุ่นเอกสารเกิดของสีฟ้าจัง

แล้วก็กลับบ้านเร็วๆเพราะภรรยายังไม่หาย

ไก่จังหายแล้วไม่ต้องห่วง

ผมเอาไก่จังแต่ข้อหนึ่งว่าไก่จังไม่ต้องไปโรงเรียนอนุบาลและอยู่ที่บ้านเฉยๆเพื่อให้ไก่จังพักผ่อน

ขอบคุณมากครับ

Edited by srachai

7:44 2007/08/18

18Aug2007 Japanese name of Siifaa-chan (in Japanese)

妻は虫垂炎の手術後9日目になり回復は順調であるが、まだまだ本調子ではない。私は昨日バンコクの日本大使館でシーファーちゃんの日本側への出生届けを行ったので、朝から夕方まで家事は妻がこなしていた。たくさん家事をやったのでお腹が痛むと言っていた。コーンケーンからバンコクまでは距離にして500キロ、エアコンバスで6時間かかる。バンコクで寿司や刺身を食べる時間も全く無く、完全なトンボ帰りであった。妻に負担をかけたくなかったからだ。シーファーちゃんの出生届けも無事受理され、晴れて日本人の仲間入りをすることができた。シーファーちゃんの日本名は『愛子』にした。ちなみに次女カイちゃんの日本名は『千代子』である。

今日も掃除、洗濯、アイロンかけと仕事は多い。

頑張れお父さん。

kiyoshi matsui from khonkaen, thailand

18Aug2007 Japanese name of Siifaa-chan (in English)

Nine days already have passed since my wife got the operation of appendicitis but she has not recovered totally yet.

As I went to the Japanese embassy in BKK to submit birth registration of Siifaa-chan, my wife had to work for house keeping work all the daylong.

She was complaining that she had pain in the abdominal region, since she's got to do much for house keeping work.

It is about 500km from KKC to BKK, takes 6 hours by a/c bus service.

I had no time to taste sushi and sashimi in BKK and got back home immediately.

I didn't want to give my wife unnecessary burden for house keeping work.

Birth registration of Siifaa-chan was duly accepted by the Japanese embassy to enable her being a Japanese citizen.

Japanese name of Siifaa-chan is Aiko, which was chosen by me.

As for Kai-chan, she has a Japanese name Chiyoko.

I have much house keeping work today such as cleaning rooms, washing clothes, ironing clothes, etc.

Just hang on, Papa.

18Aug2007 Japanese name of Siifaa-chan (in Thai)

เก้าวันเกินไปตั้งแต่การผ่าของไส้ติ่งอักเสบทำให้ภรรยาผมหายมากมายแต่ยังไม่ได้หายทั้งหมด

เมื่อวานนี้ผมไปสถานเอกอัครราชทูตญี่ปุ่นอยู่ที่กรุงเทพเพื่อให้เอกสารกำเนิดของสีฟ้าจัง ภรรยาผมต้องทำงานบ้านทั้งหมดแต่คนเดี่ยวตั้งแต่เช้าถึงเย็นนั้น

เขาบอกว่าเขาบวดท้องเพราะทำงานบ้านหนักมาก

ระยะทางขอนแก่นถึงกรุงเทพฯคือ500กิโลเมตร ถ้าใช้รถเมล์แอร์ก็เสียเวลา6ชั่วโมง

ผมไม่มีเวลาที่จะทานซึชิ(ข้าวปั้นหน้าปลาดิบ)และซาชิมี(ปลาดิบ)ก็กลับบ้านเร็วๆ

ผมไม่อยากภรรยาผมมีทำงานการบ้านหนักๆ

เอกสารกำเนิดของสีฟ้าจังก็รับแล้ว ทำให้สีฟ้าจังเป็นคนญี่ปุ่นแล้ว

ชื่อญี่ปุ่นของสีฟ้าจังคือ อัอิโคะ ที่คุณพ่อให้

ชื่อญี่ปุ่นของไก่จังคือ ชิโยะโคะ ที่คุณพ่อให้

วันนี้ก็มีทำงานการบ้านเยอะแยะ เป็นต้นว่าทำความสะอาดห้อง สักผ้า รีดผ้า นอกจากนั้นเยอะแยะ

น้ำพักน้ำแรงคุณพ่อ

Edited by srachai

6:16 2007/08/19

19Aug2007 Father got fever in the midnight (父親夜中に発熱) (in Japanese)

お父さん夜中に発熱。

シーファーちゃんの出生届けをバンコクの日本大使館で行ったが、日程が強行過ぎた。

夜中にお父さん、珍しく発熱するが、家族には打ち明けなかった。

家族の寝顔を見ながら、そっと解熱剤を服用したらすぐに熱はひいた。

今私が倒れる訳にはいかない。

ここは、元プロレスラーのアニマル浜口氏の言葉を借りることにする。

『気合だ』

19Aug2007 Father got fever in the midnight (父親夜中に発熱) (in English)

Father had got fever in the midnight.

I’ve submitted the birth registration for Siifaa-chan at the embassy of Japan in BKK, but I must admit that the schedule for traveling to BKK is too tight, having made the father very tired.

In the midnight, father had got fever but father hasn’t confessed to the family that I’d got fever.

While I was watching the seeping faces of the family, I took an antifebrile quietly and the fever had gone immediately.

At the moment, I cannot be fallen dawn.

I have to borrow the expression, which was created by a former professional wrestler “Animal Hamaguchi”.

“Fight by the spirit”

19Aug2007 Father got fever in the midnight (父親夜中に発熱) (in Thai)

ยามดึกคุณพ่อมีไข้แล้ว

คุณพ่อไปสถานเอกอัครราชทูตญี่ปุ่นอยู่ที่กรุงเทพฯเพื่อให้เอกสารกำเนิด เวลานัดของคุณพ่อยุ่งมากไป

ยามดึกคุณพ่อมีไข้คือไม่ใช่ธรรมดาแต่คุณพ่อไม่บอกครอบครัวว่าคุณพ่อก็มีไข้แล้ว

คุณพ่อดูหน้าของครอบครัวที่นอน คุณพ่อทานยาไม่ให้ได้ยินเสียงด้วย ไข้ของคุณพ่อก็กำลังไปแล้ว

ขณะนี้ผมจะลมไม่ได้

ผมอยากขอยืมประโยคของAnimal Hamaguchi คือนักมวยปล้ำอดีต

จะรบใช้พลังจิตร

Edited by srachai

6:09 2007/08/20

20Aug2007 Going to Swensens for ice-cream (in Japanese)

カイちゃんとスウェンセンでアイスクリームを食べる。

昨日の日曜日はは午前中家事に専念していたが、午後身体がだるくてそのままベッドで3時間眠ってしまった。ちょうど目がさめたところで、カイちゃんがスウェンセンでアイスクリームを食べたがったので、車を運転してフェアリープラザまで連れて行った。スウェンセンではカイちゃんはアイスクリームはあまり食べずに、ホイップした生クリームを一生懸命に食べていた。カイちゃんが食べ物をこんなに熱心に食べるのはまれである。父親はカイちゃんがこんなに嬉しそうにホイップした生クリームを食べるところを見て、妙に感動してしまった。

20Aug2007 Going to Swensens for ice-cream (in English)

Going to Swensens for ice-cream

During the morning time of yesterday, Sunday, I concentrated to the house keeping work but in the afternoon, I felt very tired and slept on the bed for 3 hours. When I just woke up, Kai-chan insisted to go to Swensens for ice-cream so I drove to Fairly Plaza with Kai-chan. At Swensens, Kai-chan didn’t eat ice-cream much but she ate whipped fresh cream much. I haven’t seen that Kai-chan is eager to eat something. Scenery of Kai-chan eating whipped fresh cream eagerly moves the father.

20Aug2007 Going to Swensens for ice-cream (in Thai)

การไปSwensensเพื่อทานไอศกรีม

เมื่อวานนี้วันอาทิตย์ผมตั้งใจต่อการทำงานบ้านแต่หลังเที่ยงนี้ผมรู้สึกเหน็ดเหนื่อยจึงผมนอนบนเตียงประมาณสามชั่วโมง

เมื่อผมตื่น ไก่จังบอกว่าเขาอยากไปSwensensทานไอศกรีมจึงผมขับรถไป Fairly Plaza

ที่Swensensไก่จังไม่ทานไอศกรีมมากแต่เขาตั้งใจทานกรีมสดที่กวน

ผมก็ไม่ได้ดูบ่อยๆว่าไก่จังทานโภชนาอย่างตั้งใจ

คุณพ่อสะเทือนใจว่าคุณพ่อได้ดูไก่จังทานกรีมสดที่กวนอย่างตั้งใจ

Edited by srachai

Hi all:

I have my blog site written in Japanese, English and Thai. If you happened to drop my blog site, your comment on the blog is very much appreciated.

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/kiyoshimatforgoo

The site is the Japanese site so I have to translate some words necessary in the site for you.

コメント(0): comment (if you would like to post a comment, please click this)

Then you can see a window for posting.

名前: your name (nickname is also ok) タイトル: title for your posting URL: Uniform Resource Locator (not necessary to input)

コメント: comment (your comment for posting)

投稿: post (if everything is ok, you click this)

Thank you.

tooth = fun

BF/GF = fan

right?

Explorer  :o

Maybe the answer is for the POSTER of words is to include a English word or saying and UNDERLINE the section to indicate the pronounced word they have given.

Ie

fun = teeth or tooth

(I had FUN at the fair today)

Khaw-Thort = sorry / excuse me

(The rook makes a CAW sound, this is what I was TAUGHT at school)Pronounce as one word

Chock-Dee = good luck

(The last CHOCK was taken away by CynDEE so the vehicle could move)

See-Far = the color blue

(I can't SEE to FAR in the mist of the night)

Ling - monkey (generic name)

(Today on a fishing trip I caught a LING fish)

Gin-Jock = geko

(I drink GIN and tonic, but my scottish friend JOCK drinks beer)Pronounce as one word

tor-a-sap = telephone

(i TORE some bark from A tree and I could see the SAP dripping down) Pronounce as one word

Any one any thoughts on this idea, but for sure WE do need to use one format here, the problem is many Thai words have no English equivalent, but we should be able to get many many basic words on this thread.

Cheers

CF

As a complete beginner I think that this is a brilliant way of guiding us into speaking Thai; albeit at the basic level - but you've got to start somewhere!. I've bought numerous books, but find the explanations of how to pronunciate the words to be almost meanigless and the above is (for me) very helpful. I take the point that we (English speakers) all have our own different pronunciations ( dialects) but surely the same will apply to any language and if we get it 90% correct at least we stand a chance of having it corrected by a fluent Thai speaker. Let's have more of the above please and thank you 'Cheeky Farang' for your valued input to this forum.

Accepting the transliteration scheme above, a couple clarifications:

The Thai word for "luck" is not CHOCK, but CHOKE.

The second syllable for gecko is not JOCK, but JOKE.

In both cases, the English "long /o/" is comparable, although the sound is more drawn out in the first, while being a shorter, stressed sound in the second.

Agreed. The system uses 'oke' for long sara o, and 'ock' for short sara o.

It's a short vowel in Thai, so for that reason I believe 'jock' is a better option. (I'd transcribe it as jîngjòk or [LF]jing[sL]jok)

Agreed. The system uses 'oke' for long sara o, and 'ock' for short sara o.

It's a short vowel in Thai, so for that reason I believe 'jock' is a better option. (I'd transcribe it as jîngjòk or [LF]jing[sL]jok)

Perhaps the muddle between our versions lies the semantics of "long" and "short." When we talk about Thai vowels, those terms refer only to the length of the sound, but do not change basic pronunciation; in English, however, the terms "long" and "short" indicate very different pronunciations of the vowel itself, not just length of the same vowel sound.

In English, a "short O" refers to the vowel sound in NOT, while the "long O" is the sound used in NOTE. The difference between the two is far more than just the duration of the vowel: they are mutually exclusive vowel sounds. (Thus is it a bit misleading to say that English only has five vowels; it has five vowel-letters, but many different vowel sounds, depending on the other letters, and palcement of them, in words; plus the particular historical origin of that word, etc. Thai vowels, on the other hand, are generally phonetic: what you see is what you say.)

The name JOCK has the same basic vowel sound as NOT - or the /a/ in FATHER. Even when allowing for any differences in dialects, Scottish or whatever, I fail to see how JOCK could ever represent the sound that a Thai person makes when saying "jing-jok" (which is also my own preferred transliteration of it).

Transliteration is imperfect in so many ways, but the point of it is to approximate the sounds that are recognizable to the speaker of the language it is being translated into, not from. In the example at hand, it may be best to explain it to an English-speaker something like this: "say JOKE - but remember to keep the sound short, low and crisp."

In short, (excuse the pun), there is a huge difference in the way you shape your mouth when pronouncing the long and short O's in English. In Thai, that difference does not exist, at least not in any greatly discernible way. But in English, when you say NOT, and NOTE - and also take note of the shape of your mouth - which one best approximates the Thai vowel sound?

It's not NOT.

Cheers.

A simple way to dispel "the system" that uses "-ock" for that short Thai /o/ vowel:

Tick-tock, the "gin-jock" ran up the clock.

If those three words all rhyme, then I need to visit an ear-doctor, immediately.

Either that, or the users of "the system" are not speaking Thai.

Cheers.

Yes, I take your point about vowel quality - it is just as important as length, and the vowel sound of 'jock' is not perfect in this respect - I just think that all things considered it would be better than 'joke'.

We've had transcription debates before and there are almost as many transcription suggestions as there are people.

The name JOCK has the same basic vowel sound as NOT - or the /a/ in FATHER

Your reasoning leads me to think your English pronunciation is on the American side where the vowel 'jock' is not a short staccato sound as it would be in R.P. English. So sure, with that starting point my suggestions seem even more incorrect. But there are quite a few major English dialects, including R.P. where the 'a' in father and the vowel 'o' in 'jock' are not pronounced the same.

My main point though is that 'joke' is generally not short enough to represent the Thai sound at the end of 'jingjok' either - and again, in R.P. English the 'o' in joke is a distinctly diphthongised sound (or 'vowel glide' if you will) that works poorly for Thai (since the vowel quality should be constant).

Yes, I take your point about vowel quality - it is just as important as length, and the vowel sound of 'jock' is not perfect in this respect - I just think that all things considered it would be better than 'joke'.

We've had transcription debates before and there are almost as many transcription suggestions as there are people.

The name JOCK has the same basic vowel sound as NOT - or the /a/ in FATHER

Your reasoning leads me to think your English pronunciation is on the American side where the vowel 'jock' is not a short staccato sound as it would be in R.P. English. So sure, with that starting point my suggestions seem even more incorrect. But there are quite a few major English dialects, including R.P. where the 'a' in father and the vowel 'o' in 'jock' are not pronounced the same.

My main point though is that 'joke' is generally not short enough to represent the Thai sound at the end of 'jingjok' either - and again, in R.P. English the 'o' in joke is a distinctly diphthongised sound (or 'vowel glide' if you will) that works poorly for Thai (since the vowel quality should be constant).

Thanks. I see your point, too.

Yet I must insist (for the last time, I promise), that in the Queen's English, Scottish English, Cockney English, Kiwi English, African English, New "Yaawk" English, or any other English imaginable, these words do not rhyme:

Tick-tock, the "gin-jock" ran up the clock.

I press the point because, how many farangs do you know actually pronounce the Thai word for "island" correctly? Be honest about it. Even among those who speak Thai very well, many will fall down on that one.

I blame bad transliteration, from the outset. It's like a virus: very difficult to get rid of one you've been infected.

Cheers - I mean this all in good fun, and the unending search for elusive clarity.

How about

wai (y) naam == swimmiming, swim

Dem tang==fill (petrol tank on bike or in car)

bai con dee ow == alone (on my own)

put maak mar == talk to much

sur == buy (shopping etc)

an nang sur == read a book

gao shu (gow shoo) butterfly (as in, you love the ladies)

• 5 months later...
sur == buy (shopping etc)

an nang sur == read a book

Can I ask...

What does sur mean if its 'buy' when alone but 'book'?when with something else, this confuses me :o

Because they are not the same word. They only look the same in this imperfect transcription into Roman letters. If you read them in Thai, you'll see they have nothing to do with each other: the word for book is one two-syllable word.

Hi all:

Long time no see you. (pidgin English in Hawaii)

ซื้อ s’uu(i) = buy

อ่านหนังสือ ?,aan n’ang s<uu(i) = read a book

Note:

? shows glottal sound

tone:

อ flat

อ, low

อ> falling

อ’ high

อ< rising

Thank you.

Hi all:

It is inevitable to learn Thai scripts as soon as possible if you really want to learn Thai.

I would like to present you the very basic data for learning Thai including Thai consonants, Thai vowels, tones in Thai, Thai-Japanese-English dictionary together with user dictionary for easy input of Thai scripts into your Pc.

http://www.geocities.jp/srachai2000/thai_dic_2.htm

I hope it helps you.

Thank you.

Hi all:

It is inevitable to learn Thai scripts as soon as possible if you really want to learn Thai.

I would like to present you the very basic data for learning Thai including Thai consonants, Thai vowels, tones in Thai, Thai-Japanese-English dictionary together with user dictionary for easy input of Thai scripts into your Pc.

http://www.geocities.jp/srachai2000/thai_dic_2.htm

I hope it helps you.

Thank you.

Thanks Srachai!

Nice work!

I am a Mac / Apple user... I tried to open your files links but they were not fully readable on my Mac... I am using a PB G4, OS 10.3.9 and an older version of Excel (X, 2001)...

I am wondering if you or others know what I might need to do with my Mac to get it to read this file??? I can read the English characters, but the Thai / Japanese IME characters are invisible...

Suggestions anyone on how to get this file readable for me 100% ???

Many thanks for your help!

Kawb khun mag tee khun hai chuay na!

dseawarrior

:o

สวัสดีครับคุณdseawarrior สรชัยมาแล้วครับ

In this case, only the solution seems to be transmitting files as htm (html) files.

Please try the following address for a test.

Unfortunately, it is totally impossible for your system to use my user dictionary for quick input of Thai script.

http://www.geocities.jp/srachai2000/aksn_eng.htm

http://www.geocities.jp/srachai2000/sara_eng.htm

http://www.geocities.jp/srachai2000/dict_2000.htm

I hope you can enjoy it.

Thank you.

Edited by srachai

dseawarrior:

OK I tested myself successfully.

First you download the files.

Second you make excel file by using the htm files, if it is necessary for your work (study).

I hope htm files can be used by any systems such as Mac, Windows-XP and so on.

Thank you.

One word a day.

Last night in a taxi, the driver was saying the lanes merge. I didn't catch the word sounded like ตะคบ I can't find it in the dictionary. He paraphrased by saying the lanes มาหากัน What was my word yesterday, anybody know? merge = รวมกัน

Ok this one for the elementaries like me.

In the apartment office today somebody described the internet service as ค้าง

The apartment asst manager wanting to divert the complaint pointed to me and said "ไม่รู้ ถามคุณ....."

I was thinking ค้าง means all night or stay the night and ค้างคาว means a bat but I guessed, from the person complaining's face it meant lousy. And I replied "เมื่อก่อนมันแย่ ติดบ้างไม่ติดบ้าง ตอนนี้มันดีขึ้น"

Got back to my room and looked up ค้าง which I discover also means intermittent.

So is your internet ค้าง?

Edited by Briggsy

Yeah, sometimes my (True-ly Irritating) Internet ค้าง as well :o

ค้าง (khang), besides meaning "staying the night", can also mean "freeze", "get stuck", or "left in the middle of [sth]"

eg.

หน้าจอค้าง - a frozen computer screen (a similar word that Thais use is "แฮ๊ง" (hang) - eg. คอมแฮ๊ง)

ล้างจานค้างไว้ - left the dishes while washing them [to go answer the phone]