Let's Learn One Word A Day.

Neeranam

Do you know about Google documents? You can upload your dictionary files there, make them public if you want, search in all of them at the same time by the English, Japanese or Thai term and let other people add new terms by filling a form.

Elzorro:

Thank you for your information with regard to Google documents.

As I already have an account of Googles so I contacted to Google Documents.

I input my account for Google and password into my Pc but connection was rejected.

As for e-mail the same account + password can drive me to e-mail (no problem).

Anyway I will try to continue my effort.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

As a beginner of Thai, I find this thread very useful and am hoping it won't "dry up"... It would help if "one word a day" really was posted. :o Anybody care to continue this thread? Anyway, here's my contribution for today.

พิมพ์ผิด - pim pìt - mistype

e.g. ผมพิมพ์ผิด - pŏm pim pìt - I mistyped

As a beginner of Thai, I find this thread very useful and am hoping it won't "dry up"... It would help if "one word a day" really was posted. :o Anybody care to continue this thread? Anyway, here's my contribution for today.

djayz,

Can you suggest a format which would be useful for this thread? Should the words be both in Thai and Roman script? Would you like examples? What are your views?

djayz,

Can you suggest a format which would be useful for this thread? Should the words be both in Thai and Roman script? Would you like examples? What are your views?

Hi David, I thought the format used above (and in many other threads) was pratical - Thai PLUS Roman script PLUS an example.

Can it also be the noun, "typo"? (ie the word that was mistyped)

I really haven't been able to find that in my dictionary unfortunately. Hopefully one of the other memebers will answer this for you (us).

Learnt a new word today: ความคิดเห็น - kwaam kít hĕn - (noun) opinion or view.

e.g. แสดงความคิดเห็น - sà-daeng kwaam kít hĕn - to voice/give/show one's opinion or view.

QUESTION: I read the following : ผมคิดว่าเรียนภาษาไทยไม่ง่าย คุณมีความเห็นอย่างไร - pŏm kít wâa rian paa-săa tai mâi ngâai koon mee kwaam hĕn yàang rai meaning "I think it is not easy to learn Thai. What is your opinion?". Can anyone explain to my why คิด was not used at the end of this sentence to form the word "opinion"? Or, what is the difference between ความเห็น and ความคิดเห็น ?

Can it also be the noun, "typo"? (ie the word that was mistyped)

I really haven't been able to find that in my dictionary unfortunately. Hopefully one of the other memebers will answer this for you (us).

I don't think this would normally be expressed with a noun in Thai. In many instances Thai uses verbs to express what is expressed with nouns in English.

That does not mean it is not possible to form or use nouns in Thai, just that it may sound less idiomatic, or more formal or convoluted.

Formal government documents often attempt to create nouns instead of using verbs as would be more common in the spoken language, but since the process of creating nouns often means you need to add prefixes and suffixes (as opposed to the nouns being the original words which require no prefixes), the original core of the Thai language is verb-based rather than noun-based.

If you absolutely need to use it as a noun in a sentence, one way of achieving it could perhaps be to use ที่พิมพ์ผิด thîi phim phìd (=[place] where/which [i/they/we etc.] mistyped) would work? :o

Just my personal musings; stand by for a native speaker to correct me. :D

e.g. แสดงความคิดเห็น - sà-daeng kwaam kít hĕn - to voice/give/show one's opinion or view.

QUESTION: I read the following : ผมคิดว่าเรียนภาษาไทยไม่ง่าย คุณมีความเห็นอย่างไร - pŏm kít wâa rian paa-săa tai mâi ngâai koon mee kwaam hĕn yàang rai meaning "I think it is not easy to learn Thai. What is your opinion?". Can anyone explain to my why คิด was not used at the end of this sentence to form the word "opinion"? Or, what is the difference between ความเห็น and ความคิดเห็น ?

Opinion is ความเห็น

ความคิดเห็น could also be 'opinion' but maybe more 'point'.

We say idea, thought, opinion, view and Thai has different words too.

ตามความเชื่อของ is a good way to say 'in one's opinion'

Opinion is ความเห็น

ความคิดเห็น could also be 'opinion' but maybe more 'point'.

We say idea, thought, opinion, view and Thai has different words too.

ตามความเชื่อของ is a good way to say 'in one's opinion'

So how would I say "in my opinion"?

The simple answer is: ผมคิดว่า... ("I think that...")

There are other ways to express the idea - if you feel you must - but that's probably the most common and natural-sounding (and easiest for most farangs to utter).

As meadish pointed out above, spoken Thai generally prefers verbs to nouns.

Edited by mangkorn

Since you brought up the word ผิด - someone once wrote this in my notebook:

มีผัวผิดคิดมีผัวใหม่

(Note the classic Thai rhyming scheme, which pairs similar-sounding words in the middle - with differing tones - instead of the Western way of rhyming words at the ends of two phrases. Charting the harmonious nature of the whole, those tones go: middle; rising; low; high; middle; rising; low.)

A friend saw that one the other day, and I think she's still laughing about it...

Edited by mangkorn

What is the difference between ขี้ลืม - kêe leum and ขี้หลงขี้ลืม - kêe lŏng kêe leum? As far as I can see, they both mean forgetful, absent-minded"?

Instead of ผมคนขี้ลืม - pŏm kon kêe leum can I also say ผมคนขี้หลงขี้ลืม - pŏm kon kêe lŏng kêe leum? for "I am a forgetful person"?

What is the difference between ขี้ลืม - kêe leum and ขี้หลงขี้ลืม - kêe lŏng kêe leum? As far as I can see, they both mean forgetful, absent-minded"?

Instead of ผมคนขี้ลืม - pŏm kon kêe leum can I also say ผมคนขี้หลงขี้ลืม - pŏm kon kêe lŏng kêe leum? for "I am a forgetful person"?

Both are the same and can be used interchangeably. But you should add the word 'เป็น' in your sentences - ผมเป็นคนขี้ลืม or ผมเป็นคนขี้หลงขี้ลืม.

"in my opinion" - ตามความเห็นของผม or ในความเห็นของผม

ผมคิดว่าเรียนภาษาไทยไม่ง่าย คุณมีความเห็นอย่างไร - pŏm kít wâa rian paa-săa tai mâi ngâai koon mee kwaam hĕn yàang rai meaning "I think it is not easy to learn Thai. What is your opinion?".

In my opinion, learning Thai is as difficult as learning English. :o

ตามความเห็นของผม(ในความเห็นของผม) การเรียนภาษาไทยยากพอ ๆ กับการเรียนภาษาอังกฤษ

dtaam kwaam hĕn kŏng pŏm ( nai kwaam hĕn kŏng pŏm ) gaan rian paa-săa tai yâak por por gàp gaan rian paa-săa ang-grìt

yoot-san:

Unfortunately I don’t have an appropriate font for roman spell scripts to show Thai words in my PC upto date.

It would be much appreciated if you could introduce me your font for roman spell scripts for Thai words.

At the moment, I use the following roman scripts created by myself, not internationally accepted at all.

note:

flat x

low x,

falling x>

high x’

rising x<

x shows Thai consonant.

I also would like to use internationally accepted method like you.

Thank you.

Yes, I assume it is http://www.thai2english.com/ I use it all the time and it is very easy to understand as you can see at a glance it if is a rising, falling, etc. tone.

Continuing with our "word a day" topic: เรื่อง - rêuang - meaning trouble or problem.

e.g. ไม่เรื่องมาก - mâi rêuang mâak - If I understood it correctly, it means "don't make trouble". Am I right and if so, can I also say ไม่เกะกะ - mâi gè-gà ?

Anybody else got any good or interesting words to share? Am a beginner and happy about every new word and sentence I learn.

Here's an interesting new word - เงง - ngeng - meaning bored and confused.

Strange, I haven't found เงง in any of the dictionaries. I did find เบื่อ - bèua - and เซ็ง - seng - meaning bored - and apparently เบื่อ is the better / more come word to use.

Unless of course you were being sarcastic - ประชด - bprà-chót. Can anyone tell me how to say "Are you being sarcastic?" in Thai?

Thank you, Neeranam, for that new word.

With your guidance, I did find it in the Royal Institute's Dictionary of New Words. Here is the entry:

"งงมาก เช่น ปรกติพ่อไม่เคยเถียงแม่ วันนี้เกิดเถียงขึ้นมา แม่เง็งพูดไม่ออกเลย"

เง็ง – very confused, for example, "Usually, my father does not fight with my mother; today, however they did have a fight. My mother was so confused that she could not even utter a single word."

Edited by DavidHouston

With your guidance, I did find it in the Royal Institute's Dictionary of New Words. Here is the entry:

Thanks for the correct spelling. Do you have a link for that Dictionary?

Thanks for the correct spelling. Do you have a link for that Dictionary?

As far as I know, the dictionary is only available in the print version. The publication date is 2007 but the price is only 100 baht.

The complete name is, "พจนานุกรมคำใหม่ เล่ม๑ ฉบับราชบัณฑิตยสถาน".

See http://www.sengho.com/cgi-bin/detail.php?id=1225 for some mail order information.

Edited by DavidHouston

Last time I was in Thailand I wrote down the following sentence, but I can't remember where I read it or what it means in English. Can someone explain it to me in English please. I looked it up in the dictionar, but can't make sense of it. Thanks in advance : เปิดแล้วกรุณาปิดด้วย

<br />Last time I was in Thailand I wrote down the following sentence, but I can't remember where I read it or what it means in English. Can someone explain it to me in English please. I looked it up in the dictionar, but can't make sense of it. Thanks in advance : <b>เปิดแล้วกรุณาปิดด้วย</b><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Assuming that it refers to a water faucet or light switch: Please turn off after you are finished using it.

Last time I was in Thailand I wrote down the following sentence, but I can't remember where I read it or what it means in English. Can someone explain it to me in English please. I looked it up in the dictionar, but can't make sense of it. Thanks in advance : เปิดแล้วกรุณาปิดด้วย

I believe I remember seeing it above urinals. It's asking you to turn the water on (to flush) then turn it off.

khun-djaiz:

เปิดแล้วกรุณาปิดด้วย

pə̀ət lɛ́ɛo karunaa pìt dûai pə̀ət lɛ́ɛo karunaa pìt dûai

If you open (something like door, window, etc), please close it also.

Edited by srachai

I think khun yoot mentioned sometime long ago that he is feeding his Thai script into www.thai2english.com, and then receives a phonetic (romanized) version back. At thai2english.com you can choose which transcription style you like.

measish_seetball / diayz:

Thank you very much for your information with regard to tones and phonetic sound expression.

The site you suggested is nice.

I’ve found all necessary scripts for phonetic sound including tones in the font of Arial Unicode MS.

Unfortunately our site doesn’t Arial Unicode MS.

I wonder if this site had the font namely Arial Unicode MS.

Scripts for tones are ok for font Arial but special letters for phonetic sound such as u̶ u̶u̶ ə əə ɛ ɛɛ ɔ ɔɔ ŋ ʔ couldn’t show without Arial Unicode MS.

Thank you.