Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

If I was the mayor (but my perspective is different..) I would be embarassed that it takes Bkk police to get involved. It would be a reflection on my reputatioin that I could not solve the problem.

Do the Thai locals really CARE whether the scam is stopped or not? I think most definitely not. Some business interests MIGHT care about bad international publicity that might impact tourism revenues though. Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was the mayor (but my perspective is different..) I would be embarassed that it takes Bkk police to get involved. It would be a reflection on my reputatioin that I could not solve the problem.

Do the Thai locals really CARE whether the scam is stopped or not? I think most definitely not. Some business interests MIGHT care about bad international publicity that might impact tourism revenues though.

I was speaking today with a hotel owner in Pattaya.

She knew a bit about the jet ski scam and glossed over the subject. Ho hum.

She also mentioned how all the hotels on the Soi were empty.

• Like 1

Saw an article in Bangkok Post today quoting a senior police officer that stated Jet Ski rental is illegal in Thailand, therefore they cannot get insurance. Went on to say that's why there are so many scams! Bizarre to say the least.

I was also reading an online publication today part of the story went something like this .

"Police said the jet ski problem stems from lack of insurance coverage due to current regulations which prohibit renting out jet skis. He said the regulations should be changed."

I don't understand.

The police say that it is illegal to rent out jet skis.

Surely they should be prosecuting all those tourists who rent one as accessories to a crime?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I was also reading an online publication today part of the story went something like this .

"Police said the jet ski problem stems from lack of insurance coverage due to current regulations which prohibit renting out jet skis. He said the regulations should be changed."

I don't understand.

Surely they should be prosecuting all those tourists who rent one as accessories to a crime?

Surely it's the other way round. BIB should be prosecuting the Jet Ski operators

I don't understand.

Surely it's the other way round. BIB should be prosecuting the Jet Ski operators

Yes, they should pull out their guns, point it at themselves, handcuff each other, and book themselves into a nice cell.

That would work.

• Like 1

Seems to be very little effect to the stopping of the jetski scam. Tonight at about 7pm opposite Royal garden they had 3 younger looking arabs being pressured to pay. They were very closely surrounded by about 8 thai's, there were also 2 spotters looking on beach road, one came by where i was sitting and started asking me questions. From my vantage point there was no damage to the ski but I heard them settle for 45,000 bath. Yesterday the same group had a scam going at the same time.

Today the group that rents opposite Mike's returned after 2 days of not being there. I heard one of the leaders talking to a beach chair vendor yesterday who stopped by to visit and from what I could understand they closed briefly because of the police. I gather they were not ordered to close but were trying to keep a low profile was the jest of their conversation.

• Like 1

Why on this gods earth do people continue to comment on jet ski scams? When your not doing that, do you stand on the beach and try to stop the tide coming in? Waste of time flogging a dead horse. You should be aware of that by now. If you dont like it, go back to where you came from. (just joking)

Not much of a joke when when you are stung for 40K by a bunch of thugs on the beach.........grow up!

The joke was about "go back to where etc". If you grew up,maby you would have better comprehension skills.

There is another jet ski scam running opposite soi 6.

I have no doubt that there will soon be scammers operating on the entire length of the beach road. So much easy money to be made, nothing to fear from the forces of law and order, elected politicians for their own reasons pretending that it's not happening etc etc. And worst of all in my opinion, the Western newspapers,(I use the term loosely), and Pattaya TV stations, imposing what amounts to a news blackout on this scandal. Why? One of the main duties of the press in the rest of the world is to look after the interests of their readers. But here in Pattaya the opposite seems to be the case. You don't need to be a cynic or conspiracy theorist to work out why this is. The interests of their readers come a very poor second to the interests of the proprietors and their friends

Do the Thai locals really CARE whether the scam is stopped or not? I think most definitely not. Some business interests MIGHT care about bad international publicity that might impact tourism revenues though.

I think some Thai people probably do care, I'm thinking of those with bars and shops where these people should be spending their holiday money.

Also those thinking long term will realise that this bad publicity could deter tourist coming to Thailand with money to spend.

• Like 1

I think some Thai people probably do care, I'm thinking of those with bars and shops where these people should be spending their holiday money.

Also those thinking long term will realise that this bad publicity could deter tourist coming to Thailand with money to spend.

I doubt that there are very many Thais thinking long term about tourists. They assume that we will keep coming, because we always have.

I doubt that there are very many Thais thinking long term about tourists. They assume that we will keep coming, because we always have.

Yep. Magical Thinking. Miracle Thailand and all that jazz ...

I added red to font above. Are there actually regulations which prohibit renting jet skis?!? If so, then that's the gateway to the solution to the problem of daily extortions. Even though some operators might be decent, they should all be shut down, because (apparently) they're doing an illegal business even when they're doing it fairly. Of course, local authorities can't shut it down, for various reasons (which have been mentioned in this long thread). So outside law enforcement should be brought in to do what needs to be done. Shut them all down permanently.

In lieu of that (because Thai authorities don't have the testicular fortitude to enforce such a law), one or two daring farang could clandestinely hang posters all over Pattaya and Phuket - warning tourists of the dangers. Here's a suggested script for posters and brochures: WARNING: IF YOU RENT A JETSKI, YOU COULD VERY POSSIBLY GET RIPPED OFF FOR TENS OF THOUSANDS OF BAHT. more details, call: 08 44444444 (recording in English and Thai) .....or post a URL for added info.

Imagine if the jet ski renters ran a ski rental shop in Switzerland or Colorado. Every day there'd be blatant extortions, threats, arguments, ruined vacations. Can you further imagine local authorities in such places being allowed (by higher ups) to be complicit - and therefore doing nothing to stop the endless string of extortions and ruined vacations?

Are there anyThais thinking 'long term'?

There was a commotion on the beach today at 5:30PM across from Royal Garden. Indian guys.

2 Police standing at a distance watching.

Quite a few people photographing the scene.

I did see the lady that looks to be supervising the scammers near Mikes Mall today.

Get rid of all those people and the beach would be so much nicer.

There was a commotion on the beach today at 5:30PM across from Royal Garden. Indian guys.

I did see the lady that looks to be supervising the scammers near Mikes Mall today.

Paul I saw them them too, but I believe they were the municipal police, that are there only too case off the beach vendors and food carts.

Paul I saw them them too, but I believe they were the municipal police, that are there only too case off the beach vendors and food carts.

Ah, I think you are right.

Those are the guys that illegally rent the publics share of the beach to the chair/umbrella people?

Who do the jet ski guys rent their space from I wonder?

Seems to be very little effect to the stopping of the jetski scam. Tonight at about 7pm opposite Royal garden they had 3 younger looking arabs being pressured to pay. They were very closely surrounded by about 8 thai's, there were also 2 spotters looking on beach road, one came by where i was sitting and started asking me questions. From my vantage point there was no damage to the ski but I heard them settle for 45,000 bath. Yesterday the same group had a scam going at the same time.

Today the group that rents opposite Mike's returned after 2 days of not being there. I heard one of the leaders talking to a beach chair vendor yesterday who stopped by to visit and from what I could understand they closed briefly because of the police. I gather they were not ordered to close but were trying to keep a low profile was the jest of their conversation.

maybe al jazeera will do a story on it

Yawn.

Yawn.

they do a lot of stories on things we never see in the western media.

I'll bet the City Hall 'solution' will 'kick them off the beach' & order them to use an off shore jet ski platform.

That will be exactly what they want too.

Scam, threaten and intimidate out there were those pesky farangs on Thai Visa wont see what is happening.

Edited by pauljones