Nok Air...

NanLaew

Due to work schedules and THAI's inconvenient scheduling in and out of BKK and UTH, I have resorted to Nok Air's flights out of Don Muang to Udon. I booked the 6am 'red-eye' last Saturday and it was a quick 20 minute drive from 'Mongers End' to Don Muang where the car-park guy asked me where I was going and when told Udon, moved some cones and a barrier and let me park at the elevator doors. Nice... and a 100 baht tip for him to keep an eye on the car. Check in was right there, just after getting out of the elevator and the papers had just been delivered so grabbed Thai Rath for the wife. Easy enough to find the gate when there's only a couple of airlines using the place! Boarded and found that the smart check-in girl had me in the emergency exit row since I am 6'4". In all my years with THAI on that route and despite having window, exit row on my ROP Gold preferences, they usually sat me on the aisle in the 'short' seats. On-time departure and 5 minutes early into Udon. I slept all the way and missed my 'hot dog'. My bag was first off the carousel and I was home by 7.30. The return was easy enough; check in 45 minutes beforehand and once again, exit-row, window seat given without asking. On time departure and 10 minutes early into DMG and after grabbing my bag and getting the car, I was in the office just after 9am.

So, I have just booked them again for this weekend. Any regular Nok'ers have any comments on their service? Can I expect to be let down just as often as I have been impressed? The prices are maybe 5% cheaper than THAI as I don't book in advance but these are reimbursable so not an issue. One thing I do like is their website for booking versus AirAsia's that sporadically rejects all my perfectly good plastic! No deceptive insurance pop-ups and the big bonus is their more relaxed check-in and boarding times versus AirAsia. Their schedules mean I can get a full day in the office on Friday and not lose half a day getting home on Saturday. The office is in Shinawatra Tower 3 so it's a 10-15 minute drive on Monday morning. Downside... I didn't see any cute hostesses compared to AA's but, my buddy informs me that Nok have recently come up with new rules and regulations that should enhance any eye-candy they may have.

Edited by NanLaew

Nok Air is the best budget airline I have used anywhere. In many instances the service has been superior to many so-called "premium" airlines, especially on domestic and short-haul flights. Their staff are considerate, friendly and helpful. Superior by far to Air Asia, with whom there almost always seems to be some problem when I use them.

Just did the second flight, a Saturday 'nooner' to Udon. Left 10 minutes late and still arrived 10 minutes early! The parking garage was full and they optioned I parallel park with hand brake off in neutral. When I told the guy I was away for two days, he found me a spot in police car parking!

I reckon using DMK works in their favour as there's no rush at all getting to and through the airport. If they moved to BKK, they would be just another domestic carrier shoe-horned into gates A and B and service would suck IMHO.

Anyway, I have a meeting in Surat next Tuesday and their schedules are much better than THAI. I sometimes think that THAI's domestic schedules are designed for the comfort of their Bangkok based staff. Nothing leaves Bangkok much before 10am and they are all home in time for dinner!

Edited by NanLaew

I used to fly Nok internationally and they were better than Air Asia.

Never had a problem with them.

Great airline. But, internationally? I wish....

They actually used to have a few international routes; I used them a few times to fly to Bangalore, India. Not exactly sure with other inter routes they had though. Unfortunately they canceled these routes shortly after they were introduced.

Domestic, usually pretty good, but did have an occasional delay flying from BKK to Hatyai. But tons better then AirAsia, Thai Air or Orient Air!

Note; they have some kind of partnership with Thai Air which might be ended soon as Thai Air is planning to launch their own low cost carier service.

Edited by mjnaus

No hotties? I thought quite the opposite

post-30789-0-09593400-1317005226_thumb.j

D*mn u look a hottie!!!

Just came back down from Udon and the outbound from DMK was delayed 20 minutes but they managed to keep on track so only 20 minutes late into DMK on the inbound. Bonus was a very fast bag delivery.