Bangkok To Southern Thailand By Bike

JimmyLikesFun

Hi,

I like to do a trip from Bangkok to Southern Thailand (until Satun) by motorbike. I have 2 weeks to get down there, so that should be enough to stay in a nice place here and there for a couple of days.

But most multi-day bike trips seem to be in Northern Thailand.

Is this feasible? Someone told me the people in Southern Thailand (not the islands) aren't quite positive towards tourists.

I know Pattani, Narathiwat, Yala and that area is dangerous - but from what I could find out, Satun seems quite safe on the Western shore.

Are the roads in good condition? Is it scenic, or just boring straight highways?

Also, in Chumphon the highway splits - one is going along the eastcoast, and one along the westcoast. Any recommendations which to take?

Any tips and advice much welcome, as you can see I know little about this yet.

Thank you!

Jimmy

The highway splits after Chumphon. I've heard the west coast ride past Ranong and onto Khoa Lak and Phuket is twisty, curvy and scenic. Continuing south past Chumphon is a lot of straight highway. Once south there are two good ways to go. One goes east past Krabi and some very nice high speed curves around Phang-Nfa and on to Phuket. The other interesting way is through Trang and over the mountains and twisties to Hat Yai going east.

You should find some trip reports on GT Rider.

Edited by RusticCharm

East coast road, south of Suratthani, (Donsak) is quite a nice drive... miles of beaches with only fishermen... Roads are all good... perhaps 6 hours to Songkhla city...from Donsak... depends on stops you make.

Not much in the way of places to stay until you reach Songklha city, but if you cut across from Ranot, to say Phattalung (SP) there is Thali Noi Lake....(if memory serves about 20 30 kms from Phattalung....

Thali Noi Lake is one of Thailand's best kept secrets.... I try to do that trip at least a couple of times a year.... It's stunning in my opinion! Many Malay day trippers go there...

There are one or two resorts Thali Noi. Take a boat trip on the lake, but should be done in the morning, so you see the millions of water lilies blooming... birds are interesting too... feathered kind that is :lol:

I did come though the three southern provinces coming back from Malaysia, had no problems, figured the likelyhood of a bomb going off was as likely as being hit by lightening... (but I did not overnight it!)... but people seemed friendly enough at gas stations or 7/11 pit stops!

From say, Hat Yai, you could swing up the west coast, Krabi, Trang, etc... all have interesting things to see... National Parks can be interesting, if that is of interest to you....some good waterfalls etc, but sometimes a bit off the main roads to get to them...

You should be able to do in two weeks, I did Malacca and back to Samui in three weeks,...(3000 kms) one or two days it was too long of a drive on the Bike....! ;) ...oh my bum!

Timing is the key, you don't want to hit the rainy season...soon coming...or might be here already?... seems more unsettled than usual this year.... both west and east coasts, from what I understand...

I have done this in January, Feb, April and July... April is best month for water lilies blooming at Thali Noi! Other times still OK...

Hope that helps, a little!

Hi RusticCharm and SamuiJimmy,<br><br>thanks a lot for the very helpful info!<br><br>Yes, I found GT Rider has a whole section on Southern Thailand Trip reports.<br><br>And happy to know that people seem friendly even in the deep South, + Thali Noi sounds awesome.<br><br>So thanks again, will post a report here too after my trip.<br>Jimmy<br>