Justice Ministry To Change 'Terrorism' Charges Against Red Shirts To 'Criminal Association'

webfact

Reds to face lesser charges

The Nation

The Justice Ministry is preparing to follow the advice of the reconciliation committee, which includes changing the "terrorism" charges against red shirts to "criminal association".

Justice Ministry spokesman Thirachai Wuthitham, who is also secretary to the minister, said the Cabinet had assigned Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit to chair the rehabilitation panel with Justice Minister Pol General Pracha Promnok as his deputy.

The ministry has ordered all related agencies to be ready to follow the proposals of the Truth for Reconciliation Commission, which includes changing terrorism charges against the red shirts to "Ang Yi" or criminal association.

Thirachai said providing a Bt10-million compensation for each death caused by last year’s political turmoil would also be proposed, though how much would be granted is still unknown.

Yongyuth's deputy Yoswarit Chooklom, who is also a red-shirt leader, said he had learned that some fugitive fellow leaders planned to surrender to police next month.

They include Darunee Kritboonyalai and Charan Dittapichai, who allegedly violated the emergency decree.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-29

Rule of law must prevail on reds cases: Abhisit

The Nation

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva on Thursday reminded the authorities to uphold the rule of law when handling cases involving the red shirts linked to the last year's violence.

"Charges should be in compliance with the rule of law," he said.

Abhisit was reacting to a proposal of the Truth for Reconciliation Commission of Thailand to reduce the indictments for red-shirt leaders from terrorism to lesser charges, such as criminal association and "ang yee" ( underground criminal organisation).

He said he had no personal opinion on the legal proceedings for the reds.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-29

Lets see if the Red leaders object to different charges, (like they were going to give up their parliamentary immunity, but voted against it)as they have always said all along that they are not guilty and happy to fight the charges in court.

Reconciliation Commission of Thailand to reduce the indictments for red-shirt leaders from terrorism to lesser charges, such as criminal association

Wow, so none of them did anything wrong, but they all know someone who did.

I believe in miracles, where you from? you two faced thing you.

Reconciliation Commission of Thailand to reduce the indictments for red-shirt leaders from terrorism to lesser charges, such as criminal association

Wow, so none of them did anything wrong, but they all know someone who did.

I believe in miracles, where you from? you two faced thing you.

Well, I hope that reporting of webfact's is wrong, because clearly that is an extra constitutional organization and has no authority to act within the justice system. Ah well...

Terrorist charges were a failed politically motivated world wide joke to start with.

Exactly!

It was the charge of terrorism that showed the Thai judicial system was just a political tool.

This change shows it still is but at least the charges now fit the crime more closely.

Terrorist charges were a failed politically motivated world wide joke to start with.

Exactly!

It was the charge of terrorism that showed the Thai judicial system was just a political tool.

This change shows it still is but at least the charges now fit the crime more closely.

Please re-visit Arisman's "Bring your bottles" and then tell me that it does not incite arson - and reason for him to be charged with terrorism.

BTW who are the criminals they are associating with except themselves?

Exactly!

Please re-visit Arisman's "Bring your bottles" and then tell me that it does not incite arson - and reason for him to be charged with terrorism.

BTW who are the criminals they are associating with except themselves?

On-the-run former-PM Thaksin, for one. B)

Exactly!

Funny how some of the people who think labelling the red shirt protests of 2009 and 2010 - that happened to include burning buses, buildings, molotov cocktails, grenades, guns, slingshots - as terrorism, to be quite ridiculous, were the same people who were saying that the yellow sit in at the airport - that didn't include burning buses, molotov cocktails, grenades, guns, slingshots, but did include some inconvenienced travellers - most certainly was a terrorist act.

It's a warped old world some people are living in. Not you somo, i'm sure.

Exactly!

Funny how some of the people who think labelling the red shirt protests of 2009 and 2010 - that happened to include burning buses, buildings, molotov cocktails, grenades, guns, slingshots - as terrorism, to be quite ridiculous, were the same people who were saying that the yellow sit in at the airport - that didn't include burning buses, molotov cocktails, grenades, guns, slingshots, but did include some inconvenienced travellers - most certainly was a terrorist act.

Call either of the acts what you will, but terrorism charges were going over the top.

They should have thrown the book at them for breaking 1000's of laws, but terrorism was too much. Now we appear to have it going the other way with crimminal association? What the hell does that mean? Hanging out with crimminals? As in standing around with bad people. Strewth.

Exactly!

Call either of the acts what you will, but terrorism charges were going over the top.

Considering that terrorism simply means, by my understanding anyway, inciting fear through violent acts to force change, I don't see why it is over the top. Perhaps the problem some people have with the term, is they associate it with outside extremists of a muslim faith, and with flying planes into building and suicide bombers. Perhaps if Arisman and friends were all wearing burqas, some might see their acts, like standing on stage declaring war and instructing the destruction of certain institutions, as more terrorist like.

Some of them were well deserved IMHO. But now we have politicians running the justice system. It's not going to be an improvement.

But surely the Justice System is the same as it was under the Democrats term of Office - and all the Democrat supporters said then that the Judges were the very epitome of justice when charging the red shirts with various offences. Now a committee set up by Abhisit has come up with its recommendations, you say the PTP politicians have turned the heads of these very same people and you're all crying "Foul"?

Edited by phiphidon

Some of them were well deserved IMHO. But now we have politicians running the justice system. It's not going to be an improvement.

But surely the Justice System is the same as it was under the Democrats term of Office - and all the Democrat supporters said then that the Judges were the very epitome of justice when charging the red shirts with various offences. Now a committee set up by Abhisit has come up with its recommendations, you say the PTP politicians have turned the heads of these very same people and you're all crying "Foul"?

Let me guess, your position is the same but in reverse. Under the Dems, all red related convictions were purely political and unfair, but now they are just and fair?

Let me guess, your position is the same but in reverse. Under the Dems, all red related convictions were purely political and unfair, but now they are just and fair?

I stand by my post history. Wherever I have perceived misjustice, in my opinion, I have commented on it. I believe that the excerpts of an opinion piece by Avudh Panananda I have posted below reflect those posts.

The Truth for Reconciliation Commission of Thailand has circulated its seven recommendations urging the government to review the prosecution of cases linked to political conflict and alleged lese majeste offences.

In comparison to its eight recommendations released before the July general election, the TRCT did not come up with any additional ideas but aimed to clarify how to ensure due process for all parties involved in the conflict from before the 2006 coup to last year's violence.

The TRCT's underlying message to two successive governments under Abhisit Vejjajiva and Yingluck Shinawatra was that the prosecution should avoid laying excessive charges or proceeding with trials despite weak evidence.

Violations of the emergency rule, remarks deemed offensive to the monarchy,and charges of criminal association and other activities in connection with street protests all had political conflict as their root cause.

Public prosecutors should not rush to try politically linked cases before uncovering sufficient evidence to give a legal context to each incident.

The TRCT duly noted – although a large number of cases involving protesters and rally organisers were at various stages of judicial review– authorities suspected of having been involved in killings had not been tried or targeted for judicial inquests on the victims' cause of death.

It reminded all parties concerned that lopsided prosecution might be perceived as injustice.

http://www.nationmul...g-30166199.html

Exactly!

What was the parking of the gas tanker in Din Daeng in 2009 but terrorism? Should they only receive a parking fine?

Exactly!

They should have thrown the book at them for breaking 1000's of laws, but terrorism was too much. Now we appear to have it going the other way with crimminal association? What the hell does that mean? Hanging out with crimminals? As in standing around with bad people. Strewth.

Since the criminals are all going to be acquitted, they'll then have to throw out the associating with criminals charge. It's all got such a lovely symmetry about it.

I stand by my post history. Wherever I have perceived misjustice, in my opinion, I have commented on it.

Of course. You consider your own opinion based on what is fair, and the opinion of others who disagree, as based on bias.

Are you saying "phiphidon" and "Siam Simon" are one and the same person?

I stand by my post history. Wherever I have perceived misjustice, in my opinion, I have commented on it.

Of course. You consider your own opinion based on what is fair, and the opinion of others who disagree, as based on bias.

No. I have my opinions and I state them. If my opinion was based on what you perceive it to be it wouldn't be my opinion would it, it'd be yours.

As many of us had predicted the rule of law is yet again being manipulated for the benefit of terrorists and criminals.

From now on we cannot call the REDS "Terrorists", now they are a "criminal association", and when Thaksin is back the newly invented "criminal association" will then change to a "limited partnership", the "Reds PLC". Who knows?

No. I have my opinions and I state them. If my opinion was based on what you perceive it to be it wouldn't be my opinion would it, it'd be yours.

Don't know what you are saying "no" to.

Victims are now the criminals and the criminals are now the victims.

Indeed the Thai electorate have brought upon one themselves a great misfortune.

Edited by siampolee