Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watcharaphon/Sai Mai Update!!!

--- Quite a bit of new water since yesterday finding it's way into the low points of W. Road and Suk. 5 road going towards Sai Mai.

---I only went as far as the 'lake' after Palm Lake resort and then turned around as it was quite deep. Probably could make it through but didn't want to risk it.

---Almost made it to Hathai Rat Road down Suk. 5, but was pretty deep close to the intersection so turned around. Lots of pooled water on the roads, nothing more than 30-40 cms. I reckon. Couple of villages down there off the road that have some water, but not much.

---Ruam Mit Phattana road is clear and dry so far - went down to the end to get some breakfast, business as usual.

---Suk. 5 towards Foodland has pooled water right after the 5Yaek, nothing much. The 'lake' right behind the shops there is breaching a bit I suppose.

---My village is quite dry, they have pumped water out to the canal, which had gathered after that quick but ghastly storm last night.

All in all, where I'm at, if things don't get much worse, I'm staying put. Two more days and the tides start going down, maybe more water can be pumped out faster and things will start drying up. Just hope Hok Wa can hold on a few more days!

Edited by tominbkk

Near Union Mall and St. John

The tap water smells this morning. Now I'm concerned. I have no idea how effective our filter will be. I'm tempted to fill buckets from the swimming pool at night.

Now that the water supply has been contaminated, how many months is it expected to remain this way?

I would not and do not drink the water here at any time :unsure:

The tap water smells this morning. Now I'm concerned. I have no idea how effective our filter will be. I'm tempted to fill buckets from the swimming pool at night.

Now that the water supply has been contaminated, how many months is it expected to remain this way?

Edited by sjjmmi

IT IS TRUE THAT FLOOD AND SWEWER WATER HAS ENTERED THE WATER TREATMENT PLANTS WHICH SUPPLIES US AND THE WATER IS CONTAMINATED UP TO A DEGREE.

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THEY CAN SUPPLY BETTER WATER QUALITY IN THE COMING DAYS IF THERE IS NO MORE FLOOD AND SEWER WATER ENTERING THE WATER TREATMENT PLANTS.

IF YOU LIVE IN AN APARMENT BUILDING DEMAND THAT THE APARTMENT MANAGEMENT ADDS CHLORINE TO THE WATER TANKS. ALSO THEY HAVE TO CHECK AND REPLACE IF NECESSARY ALL THE WATER FILTERS IN THE TANKS

IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN HOUSE WITH YOUR OWN WATER TANK AND FILTER SYSTEM, DO THE SAME: MAYBE CHANGE THE FILTER TO A BETTER ONE AND SURELY ADD CHLORINE.

THIS WILL NOT KILL ALL BACTERIA BUT AT LEAST IT TAKES AWAY THE NASTY SMELL AND DISINFECTS THE WATER SOMEWHAT.

DO NOT OVERDOSE THE CHLORINE. BUT ADD IT CAREFULLY/GRADUALLY TILL YOU FEEL THE NASTY SMELL OF THE WATER IS MORE OR LESS GONE.

WE HAVE DONE THE SAME OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS AND IT HELPS A BIT.

YOU CAN USE WATER FROM YOUR SWIMMING POOL BUT MAKE SURE THAT THE WATER IS CONTINUOUSLY BEING FILTERED AND IS TREATED WITH CHLORINE.

EITHER YOUR REGULAR TAP WATER OR THE POOL WATER SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR TAKING A SHOWER/ WASHING ONESELF.

DO NOT DRINK THIS WATER AT ANY TIME AND DO NOT USE IT FOR ANY COOKING PURPOSES. NO MATTER IF YOU BOIL IT FOR SEVERAL MINUTES FIRST THE BACTERIA WILL STILL REMAIN IN THERE AND MIGHT MAKE YOU SICK LIKE A DOG.

I LIVE CLOSE TO CENTRAL LADPRAO.

Not sure the timing for this am's high tide but the river has risen a foot in the last hour.

7:21AM, at 4.00m

this site says 3.1M @ 0907 and 2.2M @ 1845

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=6882A&PredictionLength=7

water from Bangkok Noi Canal is mere inches from breaching...and for the last 3 daze there has been a sheen of oil floating atop the Noi...yuck...think it's time i exited...stage left!!

Not sure the timing for this am's high tide but the river has risen a foot in the last hour.

http://easytide.ukho...dictionLength=7

water from Bangkok Noi Canal is mere inches from breaching...and for the last 3 daze there has been a sheen of oil floating atop the Noi...yuck...think it's time i exited...stage left!!

The Admiralty, UK? Probably not too focused on accuracy in far away places. I suggest that this is better:

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/calendar/month/362.html

I see water in Nakorn Sawan has drained south to Ayutthaya.

There is still loads of water on Bangkok's door step.

1. Drain it through Bangkok with the two rivers Chao Phraya and Tha Chine

2. Plug up Bangkok and divert it east and west

3. Plug up Bangkok and plug the east and west and hope for the water to evaporate.

I assume tongue in cheek. If not, they already plugged up Bangkok to divert east/west, but the build-up (16 billion tons) will flatten 'plugs'. And this amount of water does not evaporate.

Watcharaphon/Sai Mai Update!!!

--- Quite a bit of new water since yesterday finding it's way into the low points of W. Road and Suk. 5 road going towards Sai Mai.

---I only went as far as the 'lake' after Palm Lake resort and then turned around as it was quite deep. Probably could make it through but didn't want to risk it.

---Almost made it to Hathai Rat Road down Suk. 5, but was pretty deep close to the intersection so turned around. Lots of pooled water on the roads, nothing more than 30-40 cms. I reckon. Couple of villages down there off the road that have some water, but not much.

---Ruam Mit Phattana road is clear and dry so far - went down to the end to get some breakfast, business as usual.

---Suk. 5 towards Foodland has pooled water right after the 5Yaek, nothing much. The 'lake' right behind the shops there is breaching a bit I suppose.

---My village is quite dry, they have pumped water out to the canal, which had gathered after that quick but ghastly storm last night.

All in all, where I'm at, if things don't get much worse, I'm staying put. Two more days and the tides start going down, maybe more water can be pumped out faster and things will start drying up. Just hope Hok Wa can hold on a few more days!

Thanks so much again for your updates tominbkk. My mo ban is down Ruam Mit Phattana so it is good to know it is holding up.

Best of luck and let's hope Hok Wa holds.

The high tide at 7 Am BKK time is at sea at BKK port, and the rising water is realized upstream in the Chaoa Prya and other rivers 3-5 hours later.

I found another way (my company prohibits Google Earth). Go to Google Maps then right click and choose "what is here". It will give you the coordinates in the menu box where you search. Go to this page http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation and enter the latitude and longitude numbers at the bottom of the page where is ...

BTW I'd think that's how the iPhone apps work too. They just get the GPS coordinates, and then look it up on Google Earth or another GPS elevation data website. That way they'd be way more accurate than a simple GPS (which also has elevation but in a flood half a meter can make a huge difference so +/- 6m isn't all that useful)

Sorry to say but the gpsvisualizer service seems to be very unreliable. Where I live you can seen with your naked eye that the street is lower at point A and goes up to point B. Water recognizes this too and when raining the water goes from B to A, hence the law of gravity is still intact around here. Anyway... the link gives me 10m for point A but ony 4m for point B. Unless I had very good LSD during the last rain (can't remember that ummmm) I think we should not rely on the results.

Same same here. The street hat 4 Meter on one side and 3 Meter where my house is.

Now the street has a few cm on the 4 Meter high place and is dry on my place unless someone could bribe the gravity the elevation is wrong, or not so exactly

That links's from the UK too, but a private one as the other. This link is UK government, probably more reliable, as the UK has vested interests in the South China Sea, the Gulf of Thailans and the West Pacific. BKK authorities verify the numbers shown for the last three days, so it is quite probably in sync with locality.

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=6882A&PredictionLength=7

http://easytide.ukho...dictionLength=7

The Admiralty, UK? Probably not too focused on accuracy in far away places. I suggest that this is better:

http://tides.mobileg.../month/362.html

If you are not sinking by now, then congratulations. High tide was supposed to be at 9:30am this morning according to the TAN network bulletin at 8:00am (Edit: just seen the Live News thread where it is implied that 9:09 is high tide). First hurdle passed.

If someone on this thread knows that Sukhumvit is at an elevation of 3.5 metres why does the government not know and publish areas of higher elevation? Perhaps they thought all the hoi polloy would come and park their knackered old trucks in Klong Toeiwhere all the Thai knobs live and make it a tad inconvenient for them :rolleyes:

Edited by SantiSuk

Out here in Minburi at Ramkhamheng Soi 164 everything is sunny and dry and in fact the boats on the canal are roaring up and down again. A sound I did not hear for the last 2 weeks. Moo Ban's such as Perfect Place, Tararom, Home Place, Swiss Chalet are not affected. Friends told me that Moo Ban Samakorn on Ramkhamheng Soi 112/110 had a bit of water at the end towards the canal.

In Pinklao, the situation is rapidly worsening. The floodwater levels are to around 1.3 metres and they are barely moving according to tides. There is noticeable panic among soldiers to repair the dykes.

My apartment's sandbagged, water-pumped and sealed barrier has been overrun. The breeze block wall-- just built-- is holding out at the entrances but every time the water level rises more leaks spring.

Any worse and the electricity must be switched off. Currently aiding the staff (9 people) with a desperate last stand.

The TV signal is knocked out, the water is compromised. The emergency chemical toilet has been destroyed by the flooding.

This might be the last time I can get on the internet, so I bid you good night and good luck. Situation hopeless, all is lost, we fight on. God Save the Queen.

Time to start playing " Nearer my God to Thee" ?? :-)

( Played as the Titantic was sinking)

Are you near Chao Phraya 3? If they flood as well, maybe you'll see the girls paddling around on their air mattresses.

Lad Prao near Central and Union Mall remains dry in spite of that little rain we just had. The Lad Prao Hotel (okay, it's a curtain hotel, but it's cheap and dry) is near Soi 8 if you're a refugee from tonight's rain. Maybe we should start another map, this one with markers for small hotels and guesthouses that you probably won't find with Google or Lonely Planet.

If I was abandoning my residence, I would head for Soi Ngam Duphli off of Rama IV Rd. Prior to Khao San Rd., Ngam Duphli was the world traveller ghetto. The Lumphini MRT is quite closeby. I think that ETC is the first guesthouse you come to, and eventually you reach the Malaysia Hotel and another soi with small guesthouses. They are spartan and under any other circumstances probably wouldn't be your first choice for a room.

Then if flooding enters central Bangkok you would be worse hit than most. That is a very low area and listed as being at high risk.

The river will back up some hours after high tide, no?

There is a tide table from the Royal Thai Navy at this URL: http://www.ebaechtold.com/2011/corum-indicates-bangkok-high-tide/

I've been watching the river level from my Condo at Praram 3 near the intersection of the Industrial Ring Road (about soi 50) for a couple of weeks now, and this table seems to accurately predict the high river level here. River level seems to start to rise interestingly about an hour before these times, hits it's peak right about these times and begins to fall again within 30 minutes.

See the note at the bottom of the table that these levels are measured above the minimum water level. It looks like you should subtract 1.1 M from these levels to get levels above MSL.

Pub lic Health Advice:

re contaminated water, there are 2 options which can be employed singly or in combination:

1.Boiling: bringing to a full boil will kill off most nasties, but larvae of amoeba can withstand it for up to  15 minutes. A full boil for 15 minutes will deal with that. Even just a momentary boil, while you may ingest some amoebic cysts, will not make you ill in the near term. (Much later, you may have amoeba).

2. Chlorination: simple household bleach will do. Just a 1-3 drops per liter is usually enough. If treating larger amounts of water at a time there are formulas on the web, but a much simpler approach is this: there should be just the faintest detectable smell of chlorine apparent . If you cannot detect any at all, you need to add a touch more until you do. If the smell of chlorine is strong, or if there is a pronounced chlorine taste, it's too much, dilute further. Let the newly chlorinated water sit for an hour or so before drinking so that the chlorine does it's job. Chlorine does dissipate so treated water after time may lose the smell, that's Ok as long as you had it initially.

As utilities may go down, or gas be hard to resupply, I'd suggest everyone stock a liter of household bleach just in case.<br><br>These methods can be used even for pond water/flood water although I would filter first to remove as much sediment and debris as possible. Letting the water sit a while and then pouring off the top part only will also help remove sediment. Boil or add chlorine after such filtration.

One important caveat: boiling and chlorination will kill pathogens (germs) but it does nothing for any chemical contaminants. (heavy metals, insecticides etc.)

Pub lic Health Advice:

re contaminated water, there are 2 options which can be employed singly or in combination:

1.Boiling: bringing to a full boil will kill off most nasties, but larvae of amoeba can withstand it for up to  15 minutes. A full boil for 15 minutes will deal with that. Even just a momentary boil, while you may ingest some amoebic cysts, will not make you ill in the near term. (Much later, you may have amoeba).

2. Chlorination: simple household bleach will do. Just a 1-3 drops per liter is usually enough. If treating larger amounts of water at a time there are formulas on the web, but a much simpler approach is this: there should be just the faintest detectable smell of chlorine apparent . If you cannot detect any at all, you need to add a touch more until you do. If the smell of chlorine is strong, or if there is a pronounced chlorine taste, it's too much, dilute further. Let the newly chlorinated water sit for an hour or so before drinking so that the chlorine does it's job. Chlorine does dissipate so treated water after time may lose the smell, that's Ok as long as you had it initially.

As utilities may go down, or gas be hard to resupply, I'd suggest everyone stock a liter of household bleach just in case.<br><br>These methods can be used even for pond water/flood water although I would filter first to remove as much sediment and debris as possible. Letting the water sit a while and then pouring off the top part only will also help remove sediment. Boil or add chlorine after such filtration.

One important caveat: boiling and chlorination will kill pathogens (germs) but it does nothing for any chemical contaminants. (heavy metals, insecticides etc.)

To add: the body has some protection as well. Mostly the chemicals and acid in the stomach. If you eat something you have doubts about, do NOT drink beer or large amount of liquids when eating it. Beer in particular brings the acid to higher ph value and makes it easier for bacteria to survive.

Do not eat something very fat at the same time. The acid in the stomach can kill a lot in liquid, but if there are pockets of pure fat the acid can not go there. inside the fat something may survive.

A bit of strong coffee or alcohol before and after eating may help (it makes your stomach more sour, if you likely to get heartburn after a morning coffee than you are more protected).

Specially drinking beer together with old food might just make the difference between getting sick or not.

I just returned from my Saphan Mai recon mission.

Departing Central Lad Prao in a minivan, all is dry until after the Sena bridge and Kaset.

We crossed a canal which was very high and the homes there appeared to be partially submerged. A crowded minivan is not as accommodating as a taxi, and I don't have photos.

There is some minor sporadic flooding, notably at Rop 11 (Infantry Post 11). I taught at the school there a few years ago, and parts of that base become a lake. I'm not surprised to see flooding in front of the base.

Ramintra intersection/roundabout is still as dry as a devout Muslim.

The fun begins immediately after Tesco Lotus.

The van made its U-turn in between Tesco and Big C. I stood on the pedestrian overpass/flyover and took pictures looking both ways. One of them shows the water clearly, and the "C" on the "Big C" sign is visible. The water is not as visible in the pic looking towards Tesco, but is very much there. The "co" in the Tesco sign doesn't really show, either. Using a Nokia N73 instead of a dedicated camera was not the smartest thing I've ever done. I also snapped a shop opposite Central - look at the height of the barrier!! Maybe Dambusters was on cable recently. The remaining pic is of a cop shepherding his four-wheeled and biped flocks safely on their way to dry pavement.

post-32175-0-77932800-1319862792_thumb.j

post-32175-0-05176300-1319862803_thumb.j

post-32175-0-59200900-1319862814_thumb.j

post-32175-0-75144400-1319862822_thumb.j

I just returned from my Saphan Mai recon mission.

Great Pics! I used to live right there, in a village next to Tesco....lived in that area actually for about ten years before moving to Watcharaphon. It was always prone to flooding during strong rains, but would drain off fast.

A few pics from around Watcharaphon.....good reason to play with my Canon Powershot G12.....

Showing W. Road about a kilometer from the 5 Yaek, and then Suk. 5 and the shortcut to Foodland. The dry one is my village, thank Buddha! Note how high the klong is...that's on Suk. 5, about a kilometer or a little less going west from the 5 Yaek.

Such a beautiful day today, too!

post-44823-0-88877100-1319864412_thumb.j

post-44823-0-74632400-1319864466_thumb.j

post-44823-0-22298800-1319864479_thumb.j

post-44823-0-06014900-1319864491_thumb.j

post-44823-0-35422900-1319864507_thumb.j

Edited by tominbkk

Saen Saeb through Thonglor running normally today, though a tad higher than yesterday, boats running as normal and fisherman out in force.

Cannot use my car, simple fact is I don't want to lose the high parking space in my condo, I'm amazed how many are crammed in, I'm sure half of them don't live here.

many many thanks for the thorough update of the Watcharapol !

best luck for everyone there !

A few pics from around Watcharaphon.....good reason to play with my Canon Powershot G12.....

Showing W. Road about a kilometer from the 5 Yaek, and then Suk. 5 and the shortcut to Foodland. The dry one is my village, thank Buddha! Note how high the klong is...that's on Suk. 5, about a kilometer or a little less going west from the 5 Yaek.

Such a beautiful day today, too!