Fresh Crabs And Seafood.........

sunnyhor

Anybody knows where to buy fresh ( alive ) crabs, prawns and all seafood for home BBQ ?

I always bought it at Kad Kum Tiang ( behind Lotus ) , but the problem is the price seems getting more expensive. Hoping that someone can share where to buy this mentioned seafood for a reasonable price. Thank you!

In Chiang Mai the Government has a fresh seafood market every day. Flown and trucked in every morning early and anyone is welcome. if you go early you will see most of the resturanunts and well as markets there shopping

It is on Canal road. heading north, on the left, west side, just past the new convention center.behind the government building under a big roof, footfall feild size

In Chiang Mai the Government has a fresh seafood market every day. Flown and trucked in every morning early and anyone is welcome. if you go early you will see most of the resturanunts and well as markets there shopping

It is on Canal road. heading north, on the left, west side, just past the new convention center.behind the government building under a big roof, footfall feild size

Open from midnight till 9.00 am and from 2.00 pm till 6.00 pm or call them on 053-112937

I usually wouldn't know the answer to this question, but out at Airport Central Mall this week they're holding a food festival and there is a whole bunch of fresh, non-farmed fish, and clams and mussels, and some huge farmed shrimp for sale there really cheap. They'll barbecue it for you on site if you like. Muslims seem to have brought truckloads of it up from the south. :licklips:

Oh this is a terrific news!! I always do BBQ in CM, that is why if I can find a "cheaper" seafood, I will do it everyday.

This is why I love forums, thanks mate. But may I know the exact location?

Open from midnight till 9.00 am and from 2.00 pm till 6.00 pm or call them on 053-112937

You can buy fresh live craps and prawns at Makros in Hang Dong.

Also large live prawns are availible at Tesco Lotus in Hang Dong.

Have no idea of the prices, but I would think are much cheaper than most other places.

Edited by Beetlejuice

The direction given by JM seems one of the clearest among similar kinds; and I don't even know CM well. I don't suppose a street number would help in this case. No offense intended, sunnyhor.

Thanks to JM and Maejo Man.

sunnyhor, you are absolutely right about the help contributed by some posters.

No worries, but the thing is I do not know where Canal road is? Sorry to be this noob. If anyone can type me in Thai and I show it to my wifey, she will definitely know. We both had not been staying in CMai for the past 16 years!

The direction given by JM seems one of the clearest among similar kinds; and I don't even know CM well. I don't suppose a street number would help in this case. No offense intended, sunnyhor.

The issue is that there is no starting point (intersection, etc) where 'going North' might start. In the absence of that information I would guess that the starting point is either the intersection with Suthep road or Huay Kaew road, probably the latter. Then there is no indication of how far North, from that unspecified point; the Canal Road is of course very long. Good directions would put it between a known starting point and the next intersection, or the number of kms. I also have a feeling that the conference center that's referenced might actually be on the right (East) side of the road??

Of course MaeJo Man was very helpful in posting the phone number, so we can just call and ask.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

[

The issue is that there is no starting point (intersection, etc) where 'going North' might start. In the absence of that information I would guess that the starting point is either the intersection with Suthep road or Huay Kaew road, probably the latter. Then there is no indication of how far North, from that unspecified point; the Canal Road is of course very long. Good directions would put it between a known starting point and the next intersection, or the number of kms. I also have a feeling that the conference center that's referenced might actually be on the right (East) side of the road??

Of course MaeJo Man was very helpful in posting the phone number, so we can just call and ask.

Starting point is anywhere on Canal road/ This is the main north south road on the west side of town just before the mountains It has the "Canal" in the middle of it

The refrence point is the "new Convention Center" This is the largerst consturction project in all of north Thailand, Should be easy to find signs in both Thai/English

It is just pasted this. As you are going north. Mountians as well as the Convention Center is on the lift side (West) It is North, and West of town. Canal Road takes a little jog to the left here and on the LEFT, again west side, just past the new convention center about 500m is a Government building (Think it is the fish and wild life building since that is where all the fish an d wildlife govenment workers work.) This building is very large and you drive behind it. THere is 2 large football feild size covered open marker areas

Just to make it easy. In the Muang Mai Market up from the same street that the Kasem store is on the stalls are to the right on on the main street that goes into the market. This is the best quality, freshest and the most reasonable prices with the best selection in Chiang Mai.

220 baht for fresh ono (kingfish) 250 Baht for 10 kilos of fresh, but small black mussels, 330 Baht for 30 per kilo Chebuay prawns and lots more deals to be had.

Much more selection and better pricing than the woman behind Kamtien Market.

Edited by theDukes

Thanks mate, I think I'd been to the stall you mentioned. The mud crab is S size. All the while I am looking for those at least a M size type. Thanks anyway!

Just to make it easy. In the Muang Mai Market up from the same street that the Kasem store is on the stalls are to the right on on the main street that goes into the market. This is the best quality, freshest and the most reasonable prices with the best selection in Chiang Mai.

220 baht for fresh ono (kingfish) 250 Baht for 10 kilos of fresh, but small black mussels, 330 Baht for 30 per kilo Chebuay prawns and lots more deals to be had.

Much more selection and better pricing than the woman behind Kamtien Market.

Hi mate, I definitely call you!

Wifey cooked pepper crab better. This time will do BBQ frequent because some friends will be in CM at the same time! See you sooner or later.

I am still finding a place to buy this seafood for a reasonable price.

Thanks mate, I think I'd been to the stall you mentioned. The mud crab is S size. All the while I am looking for those at least a M size type. Thanks anyway!

call me when u make those chili crabs :) :jap:

I will be relocate to CM soon. But I think if there is no sea in CM, the seafood cannot be very fresh.

This is unbelievable... I always assumed the sea was just too far away for fresh seafood in CM. Great news.

Edited by veryruay

But how fresh is fresh, if it has been frozen, I don't consider this as fresh. Even Rimping's Salmon is from the freezer. Not the better (sashimi) quality, but the ashy greyish ones.

Anyway, like I said: great news.