Crisis A Blessing For Pattaya

toenail

I ran into around 4-5 BKK Western "refugees" here in Pattaya in North Pattaya and they said they had never been in Pattaya before (work/live in Bangkok) and were enjoying themselves. They were staying in the various 4-5 star hotels along Beach Road North and were enjoying the restaurants/ bars in the area which is more "civilized" than further down towards Walking Street. Of course they had also shopped at Central and a couple of the ladies liked getting manicures at the beach... The different nationalities said they would be coming back. So this "invasion" may be a good thing long term, not just during the flood season.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, of course, and when it becomes clear that Bangkok is really sinking and that the government can't get it together to do what's needed to stop that, Pattaya will be on the short list for the next capital of Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

the city infrastructure is poor and not improving. If they expand and start new construction to large scale proper civil engineering standards, then the small city appeal of Pattaya will be gone. Just like Soi 8 has been subsumed the last few years. Big is not better

You mean the expats that ask me when i am in Bangkok....."Why do you live in pattaya it is a sleeze pit"? and "Are you some kind pervert living in Pattaya".

This is the general gist i get when I go there and mention that i live in pattaya.

The other Bangkokians are not good for pattaya. Ask any business owner. They want Europeans and North Americans tourists.

They put 10 people in a hotel room

They don't shop for souvenirs

They don't spend money in bars

They don't get messages.

They do very little buying of anything here because it is cheaper to shop in bangkok.

Ok, 7-11 and Family mart like them.

Edited by marinediscoking

You mean the expats that ask me when i am in Bangkok....."Why do you live in pattaya it is a sleeze pit"? and "Are you some kind pervert living in Pattaya".

This is the general gist i get when I go there and mention that i live in pattaya.

I just say yes to those questions and the conversation rapidly turns to other subjects.

Funny you mention that.

Yesterday, a Thai friend that owns a hotel in Pattaya told me she will not rent a room to Thai people.

"Too many problems". "They trash the rooms". she said.

The other Bangkokians are not good for pattaya. Ask any business owner. They want Europeans and North Americans tourists.

They put 10 people in a hotel room

They don't shop for souvenirs

They don't spend money in bars

They don't get messages.

They do very little buying of anything here because it is cheaper to shop in bangkok.

Ok, 7-11 and Family mart like them.

Yes, of course, and when it becomes clear that Bangkok is really sinking and that the government can't get it together to do what's needed to stop that, Pattaya will be on the short list for the next capital of Thailand.

Is your real name Drew Noyes????? Sounds like something fom his newspaper

there goes the hood....

Won't be for 10 years or so if it happens. I realize it sounds wild but consider the SET moved here temporarily and that lots of moneyed Bangkokians already have second homes here.

Why would they choose this side of the bay instead of Cha-Am?

there goes the hood....

Won't be for 10 years or so if it happens. I realize it sounds wild but consider the SET moved here temporarily and that lots of moneyed Bangkokians already have second homes here.

Ask the people who brought the SET to Pattaya and not Cha-Am.

My view, it's more of a city here already.

Is your real name Drew Noyes????? Sounds like something fom his newspaper

No, God forbid, no, but you're right, it does.

I'm not promoting anything. I'm observing. I believe Bangkok will be history within 20 years and it will probably be obvious that a move out has to happen within 10 years. So the capital has to go somewhere. Somewhere dry.

there goes the hood....

Ask the people who brought the SET to Pattaya and not Cha-Am.

My view, it's more of a city here already.

Of course this is just fantasy, but Captial cities are sometimes chosen in new areas and built from the ground up. eg. Washington DC, Canberra... That gives them a change to build better infrastructure to service the needs of government.

Of course this is just fantasy, but Captial cities are sometimes chosen in new areas and built from the ground up. eg. Washington DC, Canberra... That gives them a change to build better infrastructure to service the needs of government.

True dat. Also Brasilia. And the Burma horror show as well.

But sometimes also great cities emerge from brothels, as did Buenos Aires and San Francisco.

In Thailand's sake, I think the capital needs to be located within CENTRAL Thailand. So Chiang Mai would be out. Ayutthaya would be a good choice if the water issues could be controlled better than Bangkok. Today, that's looking bad.

I don't think ChaAm will be the place.

Too far from the airport.

For example, it's not a problem in Canberra. It's a long way from an International airport. Eventually a new capital could have a new international airport.

I don't have a business in Pattaya, but if I did, I suppose I'd be drooling at the idea of doubling my profits due to Bangkokians relocating here (or even making Pattaya their preferred weekend location). However, the unfortunate reality is that Pattaya's population has grown appreciatively over the past years and virtually nothing has been done to expand or improve the infrastructure. The crowds and traffic volume seem unmanageable at times, so a quick influx of people would make Pattaya living hell.

The crowds and traffic volume seem unmanageable at times, so a quick influx of people would make Pattaya living hell.

Bangkokians will feel right at home.

So build a skytrain.

Time to dust off those monorail plans - maybe someone was just being farsighted rather than a money grabbing plonker!

The crowds and traffic volume seem unmanageable at times, so a quick influx of people would make Pattaya living hell.

So build a skytrain.

last stop walking street, why not ?

So build a skytrain.

last stop walking street, why not ?

Sure, lets make them feel right at home with more traffic jams, more people, more pollution, more stress, etc. With all due respect to the posters who think this is good, I have to strongly disagree. The charm of the city (relaxed, fun, inexpensive, convenient beach city) has almost already been destroyed. More people with more problems will not make it better; it will ruin it for those who want to retire in a relaxing, fun, stress free place. But many younger visitors and Russians will not see this because they have no real perspective on the place. And business owners and real estate investors will no doubt like the idea Bangkonians migrating to Pattaya-Jomtien.

Sure, lets make them feel right at home with more traffic jams, more people, more pollution, more stress, etc. With all due respect to the posters who think this is good, I have to strongly disagree. The charm of the city (relaxed, fun, inexpensive, convenient beach city) has almost already been destroyed. More people with more problems will not make it better; it will ruin it for those who want to retire in a relaxing, fun, stress free place. But many younger visitors and Russians will not see this because they have no real perspective on the place. And business owners and real estate investors will no doubt like the idea Bangkonians migrating to Pattaya-Jomtien.

You must be reminiscing about years long past - how long have you been here? In the last 6 years I fail to see how anyone could have called Pattaya a city with charm and relaxed. In fact 6 years I seem to remember it was busier still.

A report published by the United Nations’ IRIN magazine today says that flooding in Bangkok is likely to get so severe by the middle of this century that parts of the Thai capital may have to be abandoned.

“Subsidence and poor urban planning have resulted in Bangkok gradually sinking between 2cm and 5cm a year,” the report quotes researchers in Thailand.

It’s well known by city residents that Bangkok is sinking, with experts first documenting the problem in the early 1980s. But now scientists say there are added factors that are fast-tracking the city’s immersion.

“For decades we have known that the city was sinking because of sediment compression, but recent research has shown that the crust of the earth itself is also depressing here, caused by tectonic events that are totally outside our control. It is a combination of factors,” Anond Snidvongs, the Southeast Asia regional research director for multi-national non-governmental agency START, says in the report.

“Much of the problem was caused by water for industry being extracted from underground aquifers faster than it could be replaced, causing the soil to compress,” IRIN explained. “Another issue is that many of Bangkok’s canals, which once drew comparisons with those of Venice, have been concreted over and turned into roads, while houses and factories have been built on the natural floodplains surrounding the capital.”

CNN - 14 January, 2010

more: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/thailand/090202/bangkok-sinking-1

Read more: Bangkok sinking, warn scientists | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/none/bangkok-sinking-ship-remind-scientists-554023#ixzz1cMncT0X0

You must be reminiscing about years long past - how long have you been here? In the last 6 years I fail to see how anyone could have called Pattaya a city with charm and relaxed. In fact 6 years I seem to remember it was busier still.

yeah, that's what I thought too... many charms in Pattaya, but those charms come mostly from Isaan, 555.

the charm of Pattaya... c'mon ??

A nation's capital on the seashore? Only 3 sides for access = nightmare

It is interesting that the article on Bangkok sinking failed to mention the main threat and cause of the current crisis: climate change (and, in this case, associated rainfall). Unfortunately, a combination of factors will likely compel growing numbers of people, families, businesses to get out of town and that will mean more of everything we do not want in Pattaya-Jomtien, along with some things we do want. I think the bad outweighs the good in this case. One poster asked how long I have been here. I have a three-decade perspective on this area. Believe it or not, Pattaya-Jomtien really was much less stressful back then. No, we did not have Central Festival Mall, but we had what we needed to be happy and relaxed. Those days are gone; that is a fact. It is too bad that most people see growth as a good thing. They would make great cheerleaders for cancer cells :)