Honda New Electric Supersport

visions

Honda to show electric supersports RC-E motorcycle at Tokyo Motor Show

By Mike Hanlon

03:17 November 10, 2011

Named the RC-E, the images released by Honda indicate a a super sports motorcycle designed solely for the "the joy of riding."At long last, the world's largest and most influential motorcycle manufacturer appears to be getting serious about electric motorcycles, announcing it will be showing a supersports motorcycle concept at the Tokyo Motor Show next month.

The brief press statement indicates that the machine is powerful, smooth and will only be the size of a 250cc-class machine. One wonders if Honda will pursue its time-honoured formula for capturing marketplaces - going racing - with the new EV.

Read more, with photos: www.gizmag.com/author/mike-hanlon/

Edited by Maestro
Edited to conform with "fair use" practice

It should handle like a dream with the batteries slung under the bike, the motor smack bang in the middle of the bike and the lack of x-amount of fuel suspended high up where the fuel tank would have once sat.

Instant power and massive torque figures too but isn't half the fun of riding motorcycles in their soundtracks? As good as it and future bikes will be i doubt it would arouse my own exhaust pipe if it sounded like a race prepared milk float , if i ever end up owning one in my lifetime i'll have to request it comes fitted with a throttle activated MP3 player so i can listen to a real sound track while riding it :)

I think electric motorcycle are a great idea and will never be restricted by their current limited range, sport bikes like this are for fun and a 3-4 hour ride time would suffice for most people, bring it on Honda, show us what you can do :)

It would work like a charm here in Thailand if they cover it in solar cells

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B001D6GYLO

Yeah, they could incorporate the cells into the windscreen (Copyright, Patent Pending!) pull over for a spot of lunch here in Thailand and within an hour your on your way again. No good for pimping around at night time though :D

Just a marketing test balloon... a PR release and a motor show display do not a real motorcycle make.

Heres a real electric bike, from Mission Motors in San Francisco, California. It won the 2011 TTXGP with lap times that would have put it on the weekend's Supersport Class [combustion engine] grid.

5975292915_4aa299f934_z.jpg

Edited by bbradsby

It would work like a charm here in Thailand if they cover it in solar cells

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B001D6GYLO

Smile....at 1 watt output, I think u must like long....very long,rolleyes.gif lunch breaks!!!

In the early days of gasoline powered transport, there wasnt a gas station on every corner so u needed plan ahead.

Same with electric power for now........ I can imagine in future years u will be able to "plug in" at every StarBucks or Mc Ds or where ever......

Or it will be standardised battery packs that are simply exchanged at filling stations. Just imagine..in years to come when gas is either too expensive to buy or simply non existent, what else will the gas stations sell???

I must admit there will be some nostalgia at the loss of that wind up of screaming revs before slipping into the next gear, but then again..... there is less noise pollution, so a trade off we will be living with in future??

But when Honda display a serious attempt of an electric bike, being a marketing ploy, a forerunner of a production bike or whatever, it reflects where they are looking at for future sales.....

Innovation...bring it on.

I like petrol engines in motorcycles. If I wanted an electric vehicle, and all it's limitations, I would buy a golf buggy!

rolleyes.gif Ahhh yes..... but a golf buggy doesnt have the cornering prowess of a sports bike.....petrol or electric.

When I was a younger age and Television first appeared in my country...people used to comment....I wouldnt buy one, radio is much better cause u dont need sit and watch it.

Well times change and now most young kids dont even know what a radio is!! Its called FM and they listen on their IPhone. And so it is also with transport, as younger generations grow up with the new technology they will look at that petrol guzzling 1000cc supersport in a museum and comment........wow imagine riding that old crap stuff.

Going by the increasing flow of new electric bike announcements, they will be making up a significant volume of sales in years to come...........even KTM now have electric powered bikes available.

Its an exciting future for bikes (and cars). Main issue is charge time as these high capacity batteries become feasible.

Honestly I wont miss the sound. Making a lot of noise isnt the reason I enjoy riding. Besides when going fast wind noise is the predominant sound.