6 Month In Bkk

I am a spaniard and I am currently working as a business analyst on It/finance in sunny london ! now the story as goes !

I am planning to ask for a 6 month unpaid leave next year and spend that 6 monthis in BKK I have never had the chance to travel or spend time far away and I am really looking forward to that. The plan is that I will be bringing money with me and live on that.

But I was wondering if there was any realistic chance to make some money working while I am there ( project management/ Business analysis ) . I speak english and spanish and have some legal experience as well ( did a masters in international trade/shipping law )

You are there on-site may have got a feel of the situation. I would love to do something since it would be an extra source of income but also a chance to socialize and meet people both in the local and the farang community.

Any advise on this or anything else you may think it might be useful would be greatly welcome. Please feel free to be candid on your comments.

:o

Thanks !

Guest DragonStar

Hello ayalgueru,

By now your OP has been on about three hours on a Sunday evening (Thai-time) without a single reply - about 1000 usually wellspoken and usually helpsome guys must have passed it by... Why?

I don't know why, but I think one reason could be that you ask about 10 different questions, each of which have about 3000 different answers.

You want to go here and have fun by means of working here. Forget it! --- Things just aren't that simple in Thailand.

You want to make friends here? --- Well, that of course is possible - you just go ahead.

My advice to you is the same as other helpsome, but equally lost, guys would give. --- Be more specific!

Getting a job here is not easy - but surely possible if one puts in the effort. In your case, planning for only 6 months, ideas that pop up are English teaching or work with diving/tourism. Naturally both require work permits. Cheers!

thanks firefan ! I have some time ahead of me because I would be planning to do it second half next year so I do have some ahead of me ,,, ideally I would do some work for my company since they have a big development centre there but I do not bank on that ,,,

As I said working is not a must but I do believe it would enhance the experience and a 6 moth holiday could be a little too much for my system :o

I am planning to ask for a 6 month unpaid leave next year and spend that 6 monthis in BKK I have never had the chance to travel or spend time far away and I am really looking forward to that. The plan is that I will be bringing money with me and live on that.

Hi

just out of interrest, and of course it depends on your circumsatances and plans, and any decision is up to yourself as its always horses for courses, here are my thoughts, take them or leave them!.

I'm assuming you have been to Thailand before

After my first 2 week Holiday to LOS 18 months ago, I seriously thought of giving up my reasonably well paid UK job and moving to LOS full time to do the teaching bit, but thought hold on I need to give myself time to seriuosly think about this, since then I have had further 2 week holiday and I have just got back from a 4 week holiday all on anual leave so have not had to give up anything, though I still have not still have not completely decided my future, but this has given me time to think and reflect on the good and perghaps not so good things about LOS first hand.

I found a week in Bangkok was enough for me, it has very bad traffic and pollution issues, which border on the distinctly unhealthy, and it is a concrete jungle with little open green space, and though it has its attractions I would not describe it as 'charming city', people with a far better knowledge of Bankok may disagree, but I found it a bit wearing after a while, having said that I have not ruled out returning to work there if the chance arises in the future, I much preferred the beaches in Phuket but thats just personal preference

I would make the following points before moving there full time

1. Spend more holiday time there if possible prior to making what may be a very big decision

2 make sure you have enough money independantly of Thailand, its a great place to spend it, but not an easy place to make it, and not a very wise place to invest it

3. How easy is it for you to return to farangland after 6 months or so, career and personally, if you think this would be difficult, think carefully before giving this up

4. If you will not be in a position to work, consider other options aswell as bangkok

5. Live your dreams, i wish I had when i was younger, don't let old codgers like me put you off!

Good luck which whichever decisions you take, make them for the right reasons for you, whatever they may be

cheers mate !

yeah to start with I am off in January for a couple weeks holiday will see how it goes ,,,

I can get a 6 month unpaid leave with my current company , after that i could get back to my job back here so it is risky but only so much ... I can imagine it must be fairly hard to get back to work after a 6 month holiday !

I am sort of giving up on the idea of working while I am there ,,,unless i want to do the teaching bit... in any case I still have some time to think about it since I would be going second half next year if i do go ahead with it ,,,

As a friend of mine says planning and preparation prevent pi-ss poor performance :o