International Drivers Licence (Aka Idd)

djayz

If the Visa Rules stop you getting a Thai Licence, and i very much doubt they do, your home country licence will do. If your a Tourist in another country do you idiots go rushing to get a Spanish ,Bali , South African Licence . Obviously you do , or do you just crack up here.cheesy.gif

I'll have Thai DL no probs there. I also have valid ones in EU, Singapore and Philippines with bunch of expired ones from many countries.

Your home country or international is for tourists, commonly accepted for three months. Longer than this you should have Thai DL. Now i know there's usually no issues driving longer on home country or international. I could argue that no DL is needed at all in Thailand. I used to drive without and never issue if stopped by police. But that's not the point, with Thai system as it is it would be very beneficial to know the actual law, rules and requirements. Would help many members here and new comers when faced with some weird requirements of the day when applying.

Ppl here claim to have world record of registering vehicles in thailand and presenting their personal experiences as the rule of law which they are not.

So how about small competition here, 10 points for first one to post reliable source of present reg's and requirements for Thai DL for foreigners. I had present links up there so now prove me wrong.

who cares. you can post you links, the rest of us can post reality experience, and readers can make a choice

as requirements are different at most DLT, and they change at each DLT every time a new head poncho gets the job, the more experience posted, the more easy can readers obtain up to date info

by the way, bought a new car yesterday, my touristvisa extension was good enough for the finance company and DLT, will pick it up on tuesday when film and stuff is done

who cares. you can post you links, the rest of us can post reality experience, and readers can make a choice

as requirements are different at most DLT, and they change at each DLT every time a new head poncho gets the job, the more experience posted, the more easy can readers obtain up to date info

by the way, bought a new car yesterday, my touristvisa extension was good enough for the finance company and DLT, will pick it up on tuesday when film and stuff is done

As i suspected, the requirements still seem to be non-imm visa with some or perhaps many DLT's making exceptions.

When posting your real life experiences it would be always good to mention in which DLT you were for others shopping around. Would help everyone to understand your talking on specific location and the specific rules that apply in that location.

Also one thing to consider, the requirements might differ based on who is doing the change in DLT ? I.e. is it done by dealer on finance company (i'd assume finance co is mentioned in blue book if you buy credit), or if it's done by dealer/agent or foreigner himself.

Just a thought, maybe "your" new car is actually in the name of the finance company?

Not sure though how it's done here as i always been buying cash.

As i suspected, the requirements still seem to be non-imm visa with some or perhaps many DLT's making exceptions.

When posting your real life experiences it would be always good to mention in which DLT you were for others shopping around. Would help everyone to understand your talking on specific location and the specific rules that apply in that location.

Also one thing to consider, the requirements might differ based on who is doing the change in DLT ? I.e. is it done by dealer on finance company (i'd assume finance co is mentioned in blue book if you buy credit), or if it's done by dealer/agent or foreigner himself.

Just a thought, maybe "your" new car is actually in the name of the finance company?

Not sure though how it's done here as i always been buying cash.

I buy all cars financed. If its stolen or wrecked, finance and Insurance will have to come to an agreement. In addition I get 20-50% PA ROI on my own funds while finance cost 2-2,45% PA

and its always reg in financecompanies name with me as second owner. This is my GF car, but I keep it in my name

as usual any permit to stay including entrystamp and certificate of residence.

Phuket, Phang Na, Surat, Prechuap KK, Petchbury and BKK are the places I have done this

and as I said there is a poster on the door at Pattaya DLT stating requirement of entrystamp or any permit to stay, NO VISA, to get Thai DL

Real world info, not links to 5 year dates sites

Ok, that sums it up pretty much.

If car owner is Thai finance company DLT allows foreign driver, they most likely are not interested on drivers. Only owner of the car, i'd assume they list Micky Mouse as driver if owner requests.

My real life experiences in BKK from past 10 years, myself being the owner, not finance company. Selling, buying, getting DL always non-imm visa required.

All evidence in internet shows the visa as well. Yes they might be old but if the rules would be changed there would be updates available. So far no evidence available otherwise but a sign in Phuket DLT that they have decided to issue one year for tourists.

Back to real life, if lacking visa then your best bet is to finance your cars and use one year DL's from Pattaya or Phuket. Doable yes and improvement on old system where you were limited to dealing with your own area DLT based on your address.

I buy all cars financed. If its stolen or wrecked, finance and Insurance will have to come to an agreement. In addition I get 20-50% PA ROI on my own funds while finance cost 2-2,45% PA

And your still driving financed Toyotas laugh.gif

And your still driving financed Toyotas laugh.gif

well, i currently have no Toyota :D

have been tempted by more exotic cars, but the lack of service/logistic out of BKK puts me off

and only pickups can bring my bikes around the country

post-81971-0-06956000-1323770077_thumb.jpost-81971-0-82164100-1323770133_thumb.j

If your Bikes had Engines you could ride them, as Bikers normally do. My Wifes Dog has legs, but she carries the stupid thing everywhere , i call it Ninja.biggrin.gif

I am a lazy biker B) Love to travel around the country but 4000km on a bike in 2 weeks isnt my style. So bikes in pickup bed, and used around destination :D

my rottweiler likes bikes toopost-81971-0-56874100-1323828190_thumb.j