Tb Jab?

TanjaB

Hi. I am moving to Bangkok within the next 2 weeks for 12-18 months. Apart from the visa runs and a holiday in Australia I won't be leaving the city. Anyway, I had a whole lot of vaccinations done, even Rabies, but due to a misunderstanding with my mother I missed out the TB jab. She thought I had it done when I was a child, turns out she was wrong. Now I am very worried. I know the jab is strongly recommended for people who are planning to stay in Thailand for more than 6 months. It's also recommended to have it done at least 6 weeks before you travel. :o

How common is TB in and around Bangkok? Should I definitely have the jab done asap, or can it be done once I'm out there? My GP doesn't do it and I will have to find a travel clinic near by.

Hi. I am moving to Bangkok within the next 2 weeks for 12-18 months. Apart from the visa runs and a holiday in Australia I won't be leaving the city. Anyway, I had a whole lot of vaccinations done, even Rabies, but due to a misunderstanding with my mother I missed out the TB jab. She thought I had it done when I was a child, turns out she was wrong. Now I am very worried. I know the jab is strongly recommended for people who are planning to stay in Thailand for more than 6 months. It's also recommended to have it done at least 6 weeks before you travel. :o 

How common is TB in and around Bangkok? Should I definitely have the jab done asap, or can it be done once I'm out there? My GP doesn't do it and I will have to find a travel clinic near by.

TB is common in the soil of most countries.madness not to get a shot IMO.I was scratched while feeding a monkey in Laos a few weeks ago. The scratch went a little septic, but i lanced it myself and it started to heal.I thought i would mention it to my Doctor here..just in case.The quack insisted on a booster TB shot and she said that the chances of TB being in the soil here were quite high.The shot cost about THB100.

Tuberculosis. I just spoke to someone from the NHS ( National Health Service) and was told that I might have trouble getting the vaccine as the supply is short. However, the person I spoke to recommended that I should definitely have it done to protect myself. Does anyone know a travel clinic in the London/ Surrey (UK) area where I might get lucky? Otherwise, where could I get it done in BKK?

Edited by TanjaB

Tuberculosis. I just spoke to someone from the NHS ( National Health Service) and was told that I might have trouble getting the vaccine as the supply is short. However, the person I spoke to recommended that I should definitely have it done to protect myself. Does anyone know a travel clinic in the London/ Surrey (UK) area where I might get lucky? Otherwise, where could I get it done in BKK?

Sorry don't know of any vaccination clinics in London area. Your doctor must have a list. Most adults don't go for the BCG vaccination however, unless you are going to work in remote areas or with tribal people. BCG is not very effective for adults and even the allergic skin test is not reliable. You will probably have no greater risk of contacting TB in Bangkok than in London, as that is one of the main centres of TB increase in the world. I'll let you guess the reasons why :o

want to clarify again:

tetanus is found in soil, especially in farm areas (horses/donkeys);

tb as far as i know, is carried by humans, monkeys, fish (!!), etc and is spread thru saliva droplets

the vaccine in the states is no longer used (in israel it used to be given to all, as everyone also serves in army, but no longer) as it is not effective (my mother worked with tb patients and was just tested on a schedule and was treated for tb one period of time)... dragon has said the rest correctly.....

the tb in bangkok would be gram negative from hiv sufferers (and very hard to treat, but also the more common tb nowadays as we have in russian and ethiopian immigrants in israel, tb has become more wide spread)