Bit Torrent

Noodles

If you think choosing a Bit torrent client is confusing wait until you try to configure it, and your router/firewall. :o

If you are running Windows XP, which supports UPnP and you have a router that supports UPnP, then look for a Bit Torrent client that also supports UPnP. Typically it is plug and play, and you do not need to mess with static IP addresses (or watch out when your IP address changes) and port forwarding .

I have Windows XP, and my router supports UPnP, and I installed BitComet . I was downloading torrents minutes later without having to configure my router.

Another option to consider would be File Sharing in Thailand .

Good luck.

I was thinking of starting to use this, but does anyone have anyone have

any recommedations as to what client I should use.

I've been told about azureus? Are there any others I should look into?

Thanks for your help and advice

I have to vote for Azureus. Been using it for over a year now. Tried many of the others and ended up removing them due to various problems (mainly speed). Setup is straight forward and supports UPnP. Have downloaded about 400GB of 'stuff' over the last 6 months.

Thanks for all the info. Will my standard windows XP firewall be

sufficent for using Bit Torrent, as I un-installed zonelarm, due to

slowing my adsl to a crawl?

Thanks again

Not sure what you mean by "sufficient"? If you mean can you run a BT client through the WinXP FW, then the answer is yes. You can even run it through your router's firewall. Whether it is sufficient from a security standpoint I cannot say.

hi'

my 2cts here ...

it doen't matter which program you choose, bitcomet, azureus(load of options, enough to get lost) or a more simple one based on bitornado, ABC 3.1, works with one port opened only.

as we all said before, take a mesure of your speed to set up the upload speed at 90% of this speed to get the max out of your download.

you need to know also that the number of seeds you allow the program to upload influence your download speed, if you set it too high, your bandwidth

will go down to a crawl, a min of 2kb/s for each seed you upload, max 4kb/s

roughly, if you have a 20kb/s upload setup, the max of seeds you can share would be 7.

UPnp is a dangerous thing to use, I disabled it through a small prog from S.Gypson and the machine is safe, no need to set up the routeur as UPnp,

set the forwarding and use ZoneAlarm and look for peerguardian2.

for Upnp look there : Safety on!, it's far to be a joke!

for peerguardian2 here ; http://peerguardian.sf.net/pg2

for ZoneAlarm, you will have to set you bit tottent prog as a server, if you choose the Pro version you may add expert rules, that open one port and for this prog only.

for a routing of any port to any Ip, this IP need to be static, check the routeur, allow dhcp, and set your IP out of the routeur range.

routeur gives IP from 192.168.1.2, change it to 192.168.1.25 and set you connection on your pc at 192.168.1.20.

your gateway is the address of the routeur : 192.168.1.1(common)

for DNS take a look at the contract you have, it might be written on.

if not, before to set everything up, go to command line and type" ipconfig /all"

and you'll get eveything you'll need :o

use these to your PC connection, if the routeur is on dhcp for your connection, leave as is.

if set to a ppoe connection, enter login and password and connect.

is static, fill up all the required fields, 2 dns addresses are enough.

for a routeur, set the forwarding to the port you choose, one important thing, don't use the default port, those are monitored by most isp's,

choose a port range away from 6881 to 7000, choose one like 17225(this one for the torrent prog) or similar :D forward it to your IP, set also the 6881 to 6891 to your IP as some trackers still use these ports ...

ABC can be found at sourceforge.org like most of torrent progs :D

one more little thing, when get a link ask you machine to always do the same action, "open with" your program, a small download and the torrent start, slow in the beginning and then get faster and faster, the more you can share, the fastest you go on dowload :D

if you don't want to click on the torrent link, use right click "copy link location" and paste it in the adress box of the program.

it' not rare that on a good link with at least some ten good seeders, I reach 700kb/s with an upload set at 66kb/s :D

with a routeur, port forwarded and UPnp disabled :D

francois

Edited by francois

• 1 month later...
ok I'm going to digest all this info and will let you know

what I decide.

Thanks

I've just installed Utorrent and am in the process of configuring it.

It says that a port must be forwarded from my router? I don't have

a router, but a Zyxel Prestige 630-C modem.

It asks me to test if the current port 32459 is forwarded properly. I did this

and it is not, and it has now forwarded me to Portforward.com. I have found my

modem model here, but I don't want to go any further, in case I mess my settings up.

Help please