Public Events Over Christmas & New Year

UKJASE

Anyone know what public events are laid on over Xmas and New Year in Hua Hin and surrounding area?

I saw them setting up what looked like a big market or stage or something in khao takiab today

anyone know what events or gatherings take place to celebrate the time of year? or are there any websites than outline such events?

are there any beach parties to bring in the new year...... i saw a sign on a tree near soi 65 ish, that looked like a get together on the beach

for all of us who havent been here over new year, what goes down??

hope everyone is well

I don't know of any formal scheduled events for Christmas as that is not really a Thai holiday, but the lights at market village and downtown on the street running from the railway to the beach are usually nice. As far a new year, again, I don't know of any scheduled events but I think there is one (usually advertised in Thai language signs only) at that big area near the palace (48 rai) where they maybe have some food, music, and a fireworks show at midnight.

Other than that, many of the big hotels and resorts have fireworks shows on/off the beach at midnight so it might just be nice to go down there to watch. We live up on the hillside overlooking Takiab and in previous years could see 6 or 7 fireworks shows up and down the beach from our balcony.

I don't know of any formal scheduled events for Christmas as that is not really a Thai holiday, but the lights at market village and downtown on the street running from the railway to the beach are usually nice. As far a new year, again, I don't know of any scheduled events but I think there is one (usually advertised in Thai language signs only) at that big area near the palace (48 rai) where they maybe have some food, music, and a fireworks show at midnight.

Other than that, many of the big hotels and resorts have fireworks shows on/off the beach at midnight so it might just be nice to go down there to watch. We live up on the hillside overlooking Takiab and in previous years could see 6 or 7 fireworks shows up and down the beach from our balcony.

Too expensive for this guy, he scouring Hua Hin for a cheap Tuk Tuk, by the time he's found one, it will all be over..

Christmas dinner is around 700 to 850, thats probably 500 baht to much for this cheap charlie.

Edited by BazilFox

Besides all the hotels and the mall, etc., there seems to be two official celebrations for New year as there are two different signs plastered all over town. One is in Thai only except for the word countdown (I guess there's no Thai equivalent) and my wife wasn't with me so I don't know what that one said. Another on is in mostly English and it is advertising a New Year countdown and food festival at the 19 Rai. That's a big field near the Palace. To get there (heading north from the center of town) you go to that last traffic light near the north end of the city, turn right and then a left further down that road. I'm sure there will be signs and a lot of traffic headed there from 6 or 7 p.m. onwards. In past years they've also had live music and a pretty good fireworks show at this location I've been told. This will be mostly a Thai event but there are usually a good number of local foreigners who go to these things too with their Thai wives.

We got a flier in our mailbox yesterday advertising a New Year's Eve gala poolside (2nd floor) of the Grand Hotel near the grand night market. It said dinner, dancing (live band), a show, Thai classical dancing, prizes, novelties and games. 1500 baht adults, 800 child under 11, children under 5 free.

I'm sure the big beach hotels (Hilton, Sofitel, Marriot, Intercontinental, Hyatt, etc., are having something similar plus fireworks on the beach at midnight.