Best Media Player

2long

I only have Windows media player on a UK sourced laptop with Windows7.

With new video files (HD etc) able to be got, my pc needs something new. On other computers I use Power DVD and Nero Showtime. Does anyone have any recommendations about which to get (via download.torrent)?

Thanks

Of course VLC is great with its ability to play almost anything without having to tediously install codecs. I use it a lot too, but to watch movies I prefer GOM Player (free) which has tons of nice features and has a very well-polished user interface. Plus it comes with a bunch of codecs that it installs privately (i.e. they don't interfere with the "global" ones). BS Player (free too) is almost as good. For HD stuff and especially MKV movies Zoom Player (not free) would be my favourite.

• Like 1

Another one for Gom player. it plays anything you can throw at it, it is free and has a very easy to use interface.

The only issue I have with GOM Player is that it tends to stutter on hi-def MKV movies. I don't think my computer's CPU is at fault because the same videos play smoothly in Zoom Player. However this might be a problem with my installation only.

Edited by Lannig

Of course VLC is great with its ability to play almost anything without having to tediously install codecs. I use it a lot too, but to watch movies I prefer GOM Player (free) which has tons of nice features and has a very well-polished user interface. Plus it comes with a bunch of codecs that it installs privately (i.e. they don't interfere with the "global" ones). BS Player (free too) is almost as good. For HD stuff and especially MKV movies Zoom Player (not free) would be my favourite.

I also vote for GOM,

VLC is great but I could never get it to display Thai subtitles correctly.

Of course this may not be an issue for you.

What exactly is the problem with Windows Media Player? It plays MKV/FLV and everything else I send it (although you may have to install some codacs yourself; but that is easy). I have also used VLC and GOM for extended periods but always return to WMP as it just plays better (for me).

VLC's never struck me as having a nice gui. The program's more functional than aesthetic.

Here's the answer to the cone question:

...The cone icon used in VLC is a reference to the traffic cones collected by Ecole Centrale's Networking Students' Association... [VLC Player was originally developed by students at the École Centrale Paris].

http://en.wikipedia....yer#cite_note-6

...One day, people from the VIA association (VIA is a students’ network association with many clubs … amongst those is VideoLAN.) came back drunk with a cone. They then began a cone collection (which is now quite impressive I must say). Some time later, the VideoLAN project began and they decided to use the cone as their logo...

http://www.nanocrew....06/23/vlc-cone/

For HD stuff and especially MKV movies Zoom Player (not free) would be my favourite.

+1 for ZoomPlayer. There is a free version but it is a bit limited. Worth a try through.

I use it with an MCE remote and EventGhost to make my PC into a full Home Theatre machine for DVD/HD. Lovely.

For a free and complete programme VLC does the trick. MPC also very good.

Edited by Darrel