Uk Visa For My Wife

I've just found out that there's a new system for getting a UK visa for Thai citizens, which she'll start applying for as soon as she gets her passport renewal.

I have two three four(for now) questions regarding this process.

1 - Will the fact that she's been to the UK on two previous occasions, been married to a UK citizen for many years, and having children who are UK citizens speed up the process?

2 - How long before travelling is advisable to apply?

3- Is there any way it can be done without travelling to Bangkok?

4- Does she need to take all the same documents this time as the first time 10 years ago?

jap.gif

Answers plain and simple.

1. No, not really.

2. How long is a piece of string? (My wife will be applying for a Family Visa in Feb for travel in April).

3. No, biometrics need to be taken at VFS.

4. A detailed list is available on the UKBA website.

The system is not new it was introduced last year in May or maybe before (new to you since your wife's last application though)

Answers plain and simple.

1. No, not really.

2. How long is a piece of string? (My wife will be applying for a Family Visa in Feb for travel in April).

3. No, biometrics need to be taken at VFS.

4. A detailed list is available on the UKBA website.

The system is not new it was introduced last year in May or maybe before (new to you since your wife's last application though)

Thanks. No 1 - I can't believe that having children who are UK citizens doesn't come into the equation when the decision to give my wife a visa is made.

Thanks. No 1 - I can't believe that having children who are UK citizens doesn't come into the equation when the decision to give my wife a visa is made.

The fact you have two kids could come into the equation, but it could go either way. If you are all living in Thailand with a proven track record of such, and evidence that you all intend to stay here, then the kids could be part of your wife's reason to return.

If however you and the kids live in the UK, and I suspect that's not the case, then it could go against her, the ECO may suspect that your wife is trying to circumnavigate the settlemnt route, as I say I suspect that isn't the case.

As every visa application is considered on it's own merit it's up to the applicant to convince the ECO that it's a genuine and affordable trip and that they will leave the UK at the conclusion of the trip.

The fact you have two kids could come into the equation, but it could go either way. If you are all living in Thailand with a proven track record of such, and evidence that you all intend to stay here, then the kids could be part of your wife's reason to return.

If however you and the kids live in the UK, and I suspect that's not the case, then it could go against her, the ECO may suspect that your wife is trying to circumnavigate the settlemnt route, as I say I suspect that isn't the case.

As every visa application is considered on it's own merit it's up to the applicant to convince the ECO that it's a genuine and affordable trip and that they will leave the UK at the conclusion of the trip.

Yes, we do live/work here and the kids are coming with us to the UK.

Now, I'm trying to find out if she should ask for a simple visit visa for 6 months or one she can use every year(if wanted) for 5/10 years.

Any advice?

is there not a rule that she can only be in the UK for a certain amount of days then must leave before returning?

The fees for a 10 year visa are 702GBP and 486GBP for a 5 year one. A standard 6 months is 76GBP.

Edited by beano2274

Now, I'm trying to find out if she should ask for a simple visit visa for 6 months or one she can use every year(if wanted) for 5/10 years.

Any advice?

The maximum she can apply for is 10 years; although she would still only be able to spend a maximum of 6 months per visit and, usually, a maximum of 6 months out of any 12 in the UK.

Given you circumstances as described I can see no reason why she would not be granted a 10 year one; but I am not an ECO. Be warned; the longer the term applied for, the higher the fee. If the ECO decides to grant a shorter term than that asked for, they will not refund the difference in fees!

See VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?

Se also the links provided you in this post.

May I ask that you confine your questions on your wife's visa to this topic? That will avoid confusion and duplication; thank you.