Flood Victims Angry Over 'Useless' Appliance Coupons

Lite Beer

I wish I would be surprised by all these stories... BUT I am not dry.png

I also do not believe for 1 second about the 5000 THB. I am waiting for a posting from someone who has received them rolleyes.gif

I wish I would be surprised by all these stories... BUT I am not dry.png

I also do not believe for 1 second about the 5000 THB. I am waiting for a posting from someone who has received them rolleyes.gif

Well, let me be the first to comment. My wife has a property in Phichit province on the bank of the Nan river. We spent July until October up at this place and during that time the floods came due to excessive storms and dam releases, details of which are already known to most board members. During September , about a month after our property was inundated, the amphur office advised all affected property owners to report to their office with tabien baan books and I.D. cards etc.

Fortunately for us, the floodwaters were simply rather muddy river water, not raw sewage and dead animals, as people lower down the system have experienced.

We had 3 rai of mango saplings wiped out, but we received B5000 as compensation for damages to the house and outbuildings.

They required a bank account to be opened at the Bank of Agriculture (?) and as of this date nothing has been received in compensation for losses on the land, ie crops or orchards. None expected either.

However, the massive number of people in the suburban provinces of Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakhan & Nakhon Pathom who suffered months of devastating flooding and massive pollution, will be less likely to receive compensation any time soon, as the government's attention is now on bigger and more fancy projects. Paying B5000 to millions of distressed homeowners, who have, in some cases, lost everything, is not high on P.M. Yingluck's New Year gift list.

It's feeding at the trough time again. Happy New Year..............for some.ermm.gif

but as one poster stated earlier they could only redeem 200bht of coupons against a 550bht fan, so do the math they still had to pay 350bht from their own pocket for a fan they could buy elsewhere for 300bht, so please show me where the free bit is.

Which post # was that moonbarman?

And what does that have to with the example i used?

but as one poster stated earlier they could only redeem 200bht of coupons against a 550bht fan, so do the math they still had to pay 350bht from their own pocket for a fan they could buy elsewhere for 300bht, so please show me where the free bit is.

Post #5 -

Post #8 -

Two examples of flood victims only getting discounts on over priced goods.

Mother in Law (who queued for a day to get coupon book) tried to buy items for 2000 baht only to be told that she can only redeem 200 baht for those items, ie that the coupons only give 10% discount on each purchase.

So I thought we'd go back and have another crack, only to be told that the coupon offer ended on the 5th of Jan.

The whole thing is/was a deceiptful scam, not a misunderstanding but a situation where the government recklessly mislead people that they intentionally kept flooded for 2 months.

I'm glad other people are questioning this, it was a pretty sad effort from the government.

Still haven't got our 5000 baht...

What a shame that this democratically elected government isn't living up to expectations. The 15,000,000 people (mugs) who voted them in have my deepest and sincerist sympathies (NOT)!!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!!!jap.gif.

At first I thought, due to the quotes, that you were insinuating my Mother in law was a mug, Steve - a bit harsh if that's the case.

For the record she didn't vote for this government, but she did take the 500 baht they gave her during the week of voting. No harm in that as other posters constantly remind us that it's great to finally have a legitimate democratically elected government.

It's good that she didn't vote for this so-called government, but how can this government be legitimate when they are vote buying??? Hardly democratic, is it and yes it is harmful as far as I'm concerned!!

It is a disgrace that "puppet" Lyingluck is prime minister - she missed 2 days of the budget meetings - with her excuse being that she was supporting the people of the South after the recent floods. Guess what she didn't go!!! Lie after lie after lie, that's all her job consists of and it's the only thing she excells in!!!angry.png.

Post #5 - http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4963140

Post #8 - http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4963419

Two examples of flood victims only getting discounts on over priced goods.

But what do either of those quotes have to do with what I said?

You have quoted two posts after i made my own post which, once again, in which I was referring to the newspaper article. Just that.

Because someone else makes some statement about their own agenda, while quoting me, that does not make THEIR statement MY statement :lol:

Please read what i write next time

kindly read post number 8 please, and your example in your first post on this subject was that the coupons of 2000bht made inflated prices free no matter what, but if you can only redeem 200bht on a overpriced 550bht fan and still have to pay 50bht more than if you bought the fan elsewhere for 300bht please inform me how that makes said fan free.

kindly read post number 8 please, and your example in your first post on this subject was that the coupons of 2000bht made inflated prices free no matter what, but if you can only redeem 200bht on a overpriced 550bht fan and still have to pay 50bht more than if you bought the fan elsewhere for 300bht please inform me how that makes said fan free.

Mate , seriously, this is very simple. Here is what I quoted.

Sawat Jaruset, also an Ubon Ratchathani resident, said electric fans of the kind priced Bt300 elsewhere were priced at Bt500 at participating shops

Where does this say they can only redeem 200 baht?

I don't care about post 8, because it is posted AFTER i posted my original post. AND i was quoting the article paragraph as above.

Please, just read what i write. so simple. No need to attribute things to me i didn't say (as u have done in this post...again.. :lol:) and then ask me to justify opinions that were not mine. It is simply odd.

My son just checked with his work colleagues in Chiang Mai, and the maid in the next house and our tuk tuk man that we use when we need extra transport.

All of them either suffered flooding or their relatives / close friends did. None of them have ever heard of this coupon scheme.

The items may have a mark up on them compared to market prices (330 baht instead if 500 baht) but they are still 'free' to the person redeeming the voucher.

your original quote no, how can they be free if you can(as stated in the op which you were replying to) only redeem part of the cost of an item in coupons and that part is less than the difference in price of said item and what you would pay for it at another establishment, in other words costing you more than not using a coupon but buying it elsewhere from your own pocket. nuff said. and my original reply was to your post no.25 after post 8.

Let's see...pay 300 baht for a room-fan, or queue for hours for coupons, look for a store that accepts them and then pay 350 baht (after coupon-reductions of the higher price) for the same fan...great. So they are paying 50 baht extra for the benefit of having to queue and be able to use these coupons...how are they helping exactly? Some connected retailers?

Government for the people - what a laugh.

• Like 1

The programme seemed designed to benefit sellers rather than flood victims, he said.

GEE YA THINK!? What else would you expect from this government? Everything they do is to benefit the rich and the connected. Corruption, scams, and lies at every step.

You are spot on. I felt this was a scam when it was first broadcasted. No wonder the government is not trusted. Corruption is in every aspect of Thai society. The whole world contuines to laugh at Thailand.

Edited by ralphlsasser

The reason why they do not get 2,000 Baht in cash is simple of course. The appliance coupons are probably sponsored. Thailand is a country where compassion is very low on the list like in any other BUddhist country. If there is a cold spell, there is always a sleazy company like CP (TRUE) or ThaiBev that wants to show off to the people that they are donating.

When you are filthy rich you give a part of your filth without letting anybody know that you just have give something not so in Thailand. The rotary will be the first in line to donate food product with an expired date and will do not let a foot opportunity slip away. The same is the case with coupons. That the process is complicated is because the sponsors know very well that if it was easy there money would be stolen quicker than Abhisit could say "Kill" to Prayuth.

I am unclear what a "cold spell" has to do with the present discussion of appliance coupons.

It would be helpful to understand why you feel CP (TRUE) and ThaiBev are sleazy companies.

Your idea that if you are the "filthy rich you give a part of your filth . . ." is truly unkind and an extreme unwarranted portrayal of those who have money to give for charitable purposes.

Further, the thought that you would like to dictate how charity should be given (i.e., anonymously) is arrogant.

Obviously, you cannot be aware of how many people and companies do donate anonymously, and therefore, you might have singled out the exception to the rule.

Have you ever given consideration to the idea that the "sleazy" companies you mentioned might advertise their charity to set an example for other large companies?

Are you saying that large companies that want to advertise their donations would do better by not donating at all?

When you mention the "rotary," are you referring to "Rotary Club International"? If so, and you have specific details of food with an expired date being donated, kindly share that information here.

I look forward to your response.

The items may have a mark up on them compared to market prices (330 baht instead if 500 baht) but they are still 'free' to the person redeeming the voucher.

your original quote no, how can they be free if you can(as stated in the op which you were replying to) only redeem part of the cost of an item in coupons and that part is less than the difference in price of said item and what you would pay for it at another establishment, in other words costing you more than not using a coupon but buying it elsewhere from your own pocket. nuff said. and my original reply was to your post no.25 after post 8.

:lol: I have to laugh, really. read my post, again They could redeem 100% of the cost. at a higher price than elsewhere. You are talking about something else. Similar, yet different. My post 25 is a reply to my original post, before post 8. Not hard to understand?

Sorry if this a lazy reply but any effort seems wasted on my part.

If you reply again, please take this as my next answer again..and again,,,,and again

Have a good day!

laugh.png I have to laugh, really. read my post, again They could redeem 100% of the cost. at a higher price than elsewhere. You are talking about something else. Similar, yet different. My post 25 is a reply to my original post, before post 8. Not hard to understand?

If you reply again, please take this as my next answer again..and again,,,,and again

Have a good day!

The example you referred to ("priced Bt300 elsewhere were priced at Bt500 at participating shops.") does not say anything about whether all of it could be paid for using coupons.

But even if it could in this case, there are several other examples where they couldn't buy the whole product using coupons and where the products available to buy were all over 2,000 baht.

These people were given 2,000 baht worth of coupons. If they can only get over priced items, then it's not worth 2,000 baht.

In the end the government was just trying to look good with another handout. Nothing more nothing less if it worked great if not Mai bpen rai

In the end the government was just trying to look good with another handout. Nothing more nothing less if it worked great if not Mai bpen rai

My pen rai ??? what the heck are you saying.... If the governments Idea was well thought out, and did go to the people give them 2000 bht and be done with it. There is nothing better than a straight forward payment via your i.d card. What is all this rubbish about using some of the coupons only ?? and not all for 1 Item. Looks to me because of all grey areas, some scam again is involved-designated stores-do we smell a rat in the scheme-YES again these promises are a joke surely trying is not good, positive-making sure should be the operative words. why the hell cannot this family government come clean.

laugh.png I have to laugh, really. read my post, again They could redeem 100% of the cost. at a higher price than elsewhere. You are talking about something else. Similar, yet different. My post 25 is a reply to my original post, before post 8. Not hard to understand?

Have a good day!

The example you referred to ("priced Bt300 elsewhere were priced at Bt500 at participating shops.") does not say anything about whether all of it could be paid for using coupons.

But even if it could in this case, there are several other examples where they couldn't buy the whole product using coupons and where the products available to buy were all over 2,000 baht.

These people were given 2,000 baht worth of coupons. If they can only get over priced items, then it's not worth 2,000 baht.

I agree it does not say whether they could use all their coupon. But it does not imply that they could not.

A voucher you are given and haven't paid for is still free isnt it?

The actual worth of the voucher, the worth of the scheme, the implementation, the rorting, the method of oversight, The usefulness of the scheme, the fairness of the scheme, etcetera etcetaera are all valid issues. Just not issues i addressed in my initial misquoted post. The reason for my replies. Really, i only have myself to blame for continuing to reply. happy.png

I agree it does not say whether they could use all their coupon. But it does not imply that they could not.

A voucher you are given and haven't paid for is still free isnt it?

The actual worth of the voucher, the worth of the scheme, the implementation, the rorting, the method of oversight, The usefulness of the scheme, the fairness of the scheme, etcetera etcetaera are all valid issues. Just not issues i addressed in my initial misquoted post. The reason for my replies. Really, i only have myself to blame for continuing to reply. happy.png

Yes, you do only have yourself to blame.

You commented on one sentence. Others pointed out that that sentence wasn't necessarily the full story, and provided examples where the products weren't free, and potentially where the products would actually cost more if coupons WERE used.

Mother in Law (who queued for a day to get coupon book) tried to buy items for 2000 baht only to be told that she can only redeem 200 baht for those items, ie that the coupons only give 10% discount on each purchase.

So I thought we'd go back and have another crack, only to be told that the coupon offer ended on the 5th of Jan.

The whole thing is/was a deceiptful scam, not a misunderstanding but a situation where the government recklessly mislead people that they intentionally kept flooded for 2 months.

I'm glad other people are questioning this, it was a pretty sad effort from the government.

Still haven't got our 5000 baht...

Hi Weka, we got our 5000 baht straight from my wifes bank. It took a visit to the government office, a little bit of time scrolling through the endless names on a list on the pc (no search feature) but then simply visiting the bank. Don't know every detail, sorry, but my wife did it without too much trouble.

The disadvantage from the flood was or is not free - you are very shorted sighted in your outlook (comment) many people could do with this "help" it would be nice to see it go smoothly for a change without the Sharks and the worthless comments by some posters. (Nothing in life is free).

I'm just stating a fact mijan, not short sighted at all. Have you even read the article? As u can see, this is the quote I was commenting on

"If you check at other shops, you will find that products at the participating shops are much more expensive," he said.

Sawat Jaruset, also an Ubon Ratchathani resident, said electric fans of the kind priced Bt300 elsewhere were priced at Bt500 at participating shops.

People have a 2000 baht coupon to buy appliances from participating shops which if they were not given it, they would not have the 2000 Baht to spend on appliances, agreed? So in that way it is 'free' So, better to pay 200 extra Baht than use your own cash.

Yes I had read the article and reread it just in case I had missed something "No" same as before. My reference to shortsightedness relates to the point you have requoted too.

People have a 2000 baht coupon to buy appliances from participating shops which if they were not given it, they would not have the 2000 Baht to spend on appliances, agreed? So in that way it is 'free' So, better to pay 200 extra Baht than use your own cash

I can only reiterate "nothing in life is free" in other words where did the money come from, taxes of course/or donated by possibly your own country. If we are to follow your rationale of ""better to pay 200 extra baht" because the money fell out of the sky (sic) then we are supporting not free enterprise but gouging and rip off of monies meant to assist the disadvantages not the well to do store owners.

We will have to agree to disagree I am afraid.

The disadvantage from the flood was or is not free - you are very shorted sighted in your outlook (comment) many people could do with this "help" it would be nice to see it go smoothly for a change without the Sharks and the worthless comments by some posters. (Nothing in life is free).

I'm just stating a fact mijan, not short sighted at all. Have you even read the article? As u can see, this is the quote I was commenting on

"If you check at other shops, you will find that products at the participating shops are much more expensive," he said.

Sawat Jaruset, also an Ubon Ratchathani resident, said electric fans of the kind priced Bt300 elsewhere were priced at Bt500 at participating shops.

People have a 2000 baht coupon to buy appliances from participating shops which if they were not given it, they would not have the 2000 Baht to spend on appliances, agreed? So in that way it is 'free' So, better to pay 200 extra Baht than use your own cash.

Yes I had read the article and reread it just in case I had missed something "No" same as before. My reference to shortsightedness relates to the point you have requoted too.

People have a 2000 baht coupon to buy appliances from participating shops which if they were not given it, they would not have the 2000 Baht to spend on appliances, agreed? So in that way it is 'free' So, better to pay 200 extra Baht than use your own cash

I can only reiterate "nothing in life is free" in other words where did the money come from, taxes of course/or donated by possibly your own country. If we are to follow your rationale of ""better to pay 200 extra baht" because the money fell out of the sky (sic) then we are supporting not free enterprise but gouging and rip off of monies meant to assist the disadvantages not the well to do store owners.

We will have to agree to disagree I am afraid.

I agree that we will have to agree to disagree on said point.