Threshold To Make A Posts "Popular" Is Proving Too High

Jingthing

Rather obsessed with this popularity contest, are we?

No thank you for ignoring the OP.angry.png

It's about showing more posts to be popular. Not about tallies for individual posters. Actually, probably no real need for a big discussion on this thread, as long as the admins get to hear the idea and consider it.

The feature isn't being used much, at least not as much as the + and - used to be used.

Putting it to 3 posts for a little while will make people more aware of it (seeing the "popular" indicator) and they might use it more.

But overall, I don't care if people use it or not.

I think as long as we have the feature that the coolest thing about it is that it has the (now underused) potential of highlighting some posts that more people like. I hadn't really thought about the idea that making more posts turn popular due to lowering the threshold would actually make the Like feature itself more popular. Maybe so, maybe not.

Have you ever considered that what the most people "like" is oftentimes the exact opposite of what discerning people may like? Might a well "liked" post be a warning to pass on by? I don't know, I frequently find my tastes don't match those of others. Whatever, knock yourself out.

• Like 2

Have you ever considered that what the most people "like" is oftentimes the exact opposite of what discerning people may like? Might a well "liked" post be a warning to pass on by? I don't know, I frequently find my tastes don't match those of others. Whatever, knock yourself out.

I get your point but that remains to be seen as the so few posts have been triggered yet.

I made it 3 for you,Mr Popular now jap.gif

Uh oh, this is getting out hand.

Thank you George for considering my suggestion and liking it enough to try it!

Maybe time to close this thread now?

Edited by Jingthing

It would be better if there were various levels of popularity for posts, with thresholds set at (for example) 3, 5 and 10 likes perhaps. Maybe 1, 2 and 3 stars in the icons for each? If this can't be done now, is it something that might be included in the new version coming in Q1 this year?

• Like 1

It would be better if there were various levels of popularity for posts, with thresholds set at (for example) 3, 5 and 10 likes perhaps. Maybe 1, 2 and 3 stars in the icons for each? If this can't be done now, is it something that might be included in the new version coming in Q1 this year?

We don't know if it's doable as we are not writing the software.

• 1 month later...

Well, the threshold was changed from five to three which at the time made sense because almost no posts were making five. Now that it is at three it seems that is reached quite often. It seems to me ... too often, devaluing the label to the point of silliness. So I would suggest another tweak, either up to four or back again to five.

Cheers.