Uk Mobile Phones In Thailand

BIG SPUDS

My wife wants to buy a couple of mobile phones for her family in a remote village in kaemphaeng phet, when we return to holiday in thailand in FEB.

She was planning on buying the phones in thailand. However last night on uk TV we saw motorola picture phones (pay as you go) for only £20. She said this was cheap even by thailand standards. Mobiles do work in her village.

I have a couple of questions for those of you living in thailand or who have brought mobiles from the UK to thailand.

1. How much would i be able to buy a new phone for in thailand.

2. Does it matter what kind, with regards to being out in the sticks, or does this depend on the service provider (sim) same as in the UK.

3. If i brought the phones in the uk is there any regulations with regards to taking them to thailand (she wants to take up to 4)

4. Would i be able to get them flashed so they understand thai text and at what cost.

Many thanks

Mr & Mrs Spuds

Can't answer everything, but:-

Pay as you go phones will certainly be locked to the network they were purchased for. It MAY be possible to unlock them here but the phone companies are getting cleverer with their locking process.

20 quid...... bring them, no probs unlocking, try the salesMEN on the sales counter at DTAC in the WTC.

Leave all packaging behind in the UK. I brought 6 nokias with me in 1999:D

we bring that number on every trip. :o ...Thais (women especially) like the ones not available in town especially if they are NOT made in China :D

MBK-Secon Sq will unlock-unfrock-undock and do whatever you need to get em up and running...mai peng..

I just carry/use my old Nokia...the bog standard type that nobody would ever consider nicking.

Just change over the sim when you leave UK and bung in a Thai one.

Seems to last for ever and you can top up almost anywhere. :o

Reception like everywhere a bit hit and miss..top of mountain in Chiang mai ..Nothing..Basement car park at secon Square-Great...TIT

• 1 month later...