What Is The Ratio Of Russian To English Speakers These Days?

submaniac

Just curious if the Russians have completely outnumbered the British/English speakers. Last time I went, yes I know there were alot of Russians, but I didn't know if in terms of the ratio the traditional British expats have been taken over in numbers by the Russian ones. And are the Russians taking up residence permanently, or is it just vacationing tourists? Back in the day (1980's-1990's) it was the British that were the expats.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suppose a poll/ count could be made from all the hotels, guest houses, apartment complexes to find out what are the number of various nationalites in Pattaya. Most likely if you include all of the retired folks living here, single males roaming around in the bar sois...the Russian numbers would not seem so huge ;however, they are more noticeable by the Western farangs since they are couples or families and go to the various tourist sites and do most of the shopping in Pattaya. Definately there are more Russians today that there were 5...7 years ago.

I'd say is around 2:1 Russian speakers now, with the same ratio in the local cable TV channels too; and many appear to be taking up residence as well, which is the really scary thing.

I think I like it better when they were all locked-up behind the Iron Curtain.

Step 1: The Russians are coming.

Step 2: The Russians came.

Step 3: The Russians stayed.

Step 4: Borscht more common than Tom Yum Goong!

post-37101-0-20199600-1326238856_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Cant knock them...the last three houses i sold were all to Russian families !!

So do you know if they live here all year or only use the houses as a holiday home. I would not like to have a house that is not occupied most of the time, a condo will be more suited for that.

What about schooling for their kids?

Cant knock them...the last three houses i sold were all to Russian families !!

So do you know if they live here all year or only use the houses as a holiday home. I would not like to have a house that is not occupied most of the time, a condo will be more suited for that.

What about schooling for their kids?

I forgot to mention that the house behind ours is sold to a Russian family, I see kids there sometimes playing in the garden & pool. They stick to them selfs and don't bother anybody never spoken to them but know from a constructor doing things for them that English was not spoken so he had a very hard time communicating with them.

I'd say is around 2:1 Russian speakers now, with the same ratio in the local cable TV channels too; and many appear to be taking up residence as well, which is the really scary thing.

"...which is the really scary thing."

Why is this frightening?

"I think I like it better when they were all locked-up behind the Iron Curtain."

And again, why?

Answer this ?

How does a Russian family stay here all the time with their children ?

Does an 8 year old child qualify for resident visa that you can think of ? Especially when he never appears to go to school. Internaional or local.

There are at least 4 or 5 former Soviet country families in the building I stay in. The children range from babies to early teenagers. They never get on the school mini busses. They play in the pool and ride the elevators all day. The mothers do not appear to have any jobs. The fathers do not appear to have jobs that are 9 to 5.

I might see them coming and going, but not like other ex-pats working here dressed for an office. Normally they are on the phone carrying a large bottle of Chang they swig from. Not exactly the image of a "business man".

As for speaking English, forget it. Rarely do I hear them speak. They point and grunt in the mini-mart. The staff count up on a calculator and show them the price.They don't have to talk in the laundry just dump the bag and come back and point to get it.

Another place I never see them - on any border run I ever did.

Is Thai immigration scared, do they want to keep this new "cash cow" sweet?

So, back to my question, tell me how do they all stay here all the time? Answers on a Postcard please to ......

Edited by lonewolf99

Why is this frightening?

"I think I like it better when they were all locked-up behind the Iron Curtain."

And again, why?

Google "sarcasm" for your answer.

Why is this frightening?

And again, why?

I can recognize sarcasm, and I can also recognize it when someone paints with a very broad brush.

Last year I read visitors to Pattaya are 60% Russians.

The next largest group, Chinese.

I just read 1 million Russian tourists and about 1/2 that Chinese for the 2 largest groups of visitors here. We have at least 2 Russian families in our village. Having dinner with a Russian friend and his Thai fiance Friday night at our house. He's one of the nicest guys you will ever met. A true friend for sure.

There's good and bad in every society.

• Like 1

If they do not do visa runs then they probably can afford to go back after 30 days , maybe they have a business in Russia.

Who knows , but maybe we should all learn to speak russian so we can find out why they love Pattaya .

Way too many Russians around these days. I see their lettering over everything now!

How many are expats? I'm guessing a very small amount of them. I mean, how much is the average pension in Russia? Probably not too much.

I'm informed by a Russian friend that there are two sorts of Russian here.

The fairly normal tourist with his wife and/or GF and/or family, and a job back in Russia, who come here for a few weeks, and the persons with no visible means of support who stay for ages and spend a lot of "black" money. Of course the latter group can also be families. And apparently it is also mostly the latter group that buys property.

Soi Pattaya Park seems to be 100% Russian already. There's hardly a single English or Thai sign the entire length of it. They are making big inroads into Soi Buakow also. The day may well come when Russian signs and food are more common than Full English Breakfast places, and when that happens it will probably be time to move to Cambodia. Many people have already gone there.

Last year I read visitors to Pattaya are 60% Russians.

The next largest group, Chinese.

I just read 1 million Russian tourists and about 1/2 that Chinese for the 2 largest groups of visitors here. We have at least 2 Russian family\ies in our village. Having dinner with a Russian friend and his Thai fiance Friday night at our house. He's one of the nicest guys you will ever met. A true friend for sure.

There's good and bad in every society.

True. I much prefer the Russian speakers to the British speakers, though both are unintelligible to English speakers. In any case, the English speakers have always been a tiny minority in Pattaya.

Overall, their food is BORING. If you are making a list of the most wonderful cuisines in the world, Russian food is near the bottom of the list. Of course the Communist Soviets made it much worse and trashed the cuisines of other cultures under their steel fist, and it has gotten better since all that changed, but still, overall, boring.

Chicken Kiev? Dog food.

Chinese, please come and EAT here!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Why is this frightening?

And again, why?

I can recognize sarcasm, and I can also recognize it when someone paints with a very broad brush.

It wasn't sarcasm. It was a comment in very poor taste.

I live in an area which is very thick with Russians (Cosy Beach) and they haven't diminished my enjoyment of living here one bit. I'd take Russians over drunken sex tourists from other countries any day.

• Like 1