Inkjet Print Head Clogged?

4evermaat

I have brother J220. I was reading some google searches including some interesting videos that reveal how inefficient consumer inkjets are when it comes to waste ink.

The magenta color and black color seems to be missing some blocks on the test print. Black was only 5 blocks missing, but magenta had almost all the blocks missing. I removed the ink cartridge and checked the level it is almost full. I cleaned the print head and started over. Black was ok after the first clean, but magenta only improved marginally. So I cleaned magenta print head (all colors actually) 10 times and it is much improved, but still 4 blocks missing on the test print.

The good news is that: 1) printer is still under warranty. Maybe 5 months old or so, and I bought at tesco. I'm considering an exchange if I can dig up the original receipt. 2) the print quality is only marginally affected after I got it this far with the cleaning, but I fear future clogging.

- How can I clean the print heads myself? Is there some kind of solution I can use?

- How can I clean or replace the waste ink pad/reservoir?

edit: how much would a local printer repair guy do it for?

is there something else I'm missing?

Edited by 4evermaat

I think you will find that Brother printers do not have the print head in the cartrages but rather a single head inside the printer, I had a different model to you with similar problems and two different ink shops told me I would have to have a new print head, both quoted 3000 Baht, the threw the printer in to the bin. I had originally bought the Brother because I was fed up with individual print heads blocking and wrongly thought the way to go was with the Brother single head.

I don't have any experience with Brother printers but I have managed to resurrect a couple of Canon print heads by soaking them in Windex - the window cleaning stuff. I think that this an alcohol - water solution.

If your print head is detachable, just dunk the business end in a small quantity of Windex and leave it to soak for a few minutes. Agitating it will help. You can repeat the process until no more ink comes out into the solution.

If you cannot detach the print head you might try squirting some Windex into the bit where the ink cartridges normally fit.

You'll need to re-charge the head with ink after doing this so you'll have to execute one or more cleaning cycles to do this.

DM

Yup ^^^, Windex is the biz, before I got my colour laser I was forever cleaning the print head on my Epson. Due to my travel on business the printers are often left for 6 weeks and at the end of that time the heads are invariably clogged.

If the head does not detach try Windex on blotting paper or kitchen towel slid under the head on the thick paper setting.

Using using isophytol alcohol works well also....you can get it dirt cheap at most any pharmacy section in stores Pour some on a paper towel...set the printhead on the soaked towel for a while...and also lightly rub the soaked towel on the printhead. Then reinstall and run the printhead maintenance/cleaner routine in your printer software. Good luck.

If you have to dump it may I suggest an Epson TX121 with external inks. I have recently got the 620f with external inks ... our Village Office bought the 121 quite a while ago now, with external inks andhave never had a problem with it.

I think that you loose the manuf. warranty with external inks but the shop will cover the gurantee themselves, have it in writing!

I would recommend buying a Canon IJ printer if you replace your brother, because Canon Printheads can be taken out of the machine. Which means you can clean the PH. (In the UK, most IT shops sell print head cleaner. Over here they use a sonic bath)

I have a Canon Pixma 4200 which is about 4 years old and still going well.

I noticed that Photos were rubbish but normal printing was OK. Later discovered that there were 2 seperate sets of jets, and as I rarely used the photoprint option, that set of nozzles clogged up. Now working well again.