Moto Gp & Wsb, 2012.

Lickey

Some big changes in Moto 1/2/3 this year, this Wiki link will explain all, with lists of riders for all 3 classes,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Grand_Prix_motorcycle_racing_season

Hope its ok to add World Superbikes this year, its always an interesting series, there are 2 WSB races before

Moto Gp kicks of, so that should get us warmed up, this link gives dates and news,

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/home.html

Winners? think i will hedge my bets till half way through the season,, i really believe that 2012 will be a very good year and really looking forward to it..

Happy New Year and enjoy ther Season !!! Cheers, Lickey.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers Lickey.

Looking forward to all the races, including BSB ( Eurosports Channel ).

I hope to make it to Sepang again at the end of the year and hope for no tragedies , (I witnessed Marco's crash from the grandstand).

Yes i know Kartman WSB can be and has been more interesting than Moto Gp, i think that perhaps this year will bridge that gap, well, lets hope so!!

Siohok, yes i saw a trailer tonight about BSB being on Eurosport, so i went in search of a listings site, and it was highlights or the full race from Brands last year, it was on tonight as per list, but all ive had here is live darts from Lakeside, UK, this is the listings i found, scroll down to find 2 ESport channells,

http://tvlistings.guardian.co.uk/

Had the bobsleigh, but then darts angry.png

Good one Lickey, likewise'n'all.

I dont really understand the bizzo about factory teams claiming the engines but I've been battling malaria so I'll catch up.

Hope its a safe year and I dont really want to see anybody run up anybodies arse like Marquez did to poor old Wilairot.

By the way as the pooyai around here I get to nicname the babies so Ive got a 3 month grand nephew or some such, named Marco

Good one Lickey, trust me come on today no Wilki.biggrin.png

WSB 2012 with Carlos and last years performance, go for him, like to see Max do better.

MotoGP I will go with Ben this year and for CRT I will go for experience with Colin.

Great name for the boy, hope all is well now " Bluetongue " hope your tongue is now in the pink.biggrin.png

Did you get malaria in Thailand.??

Edited by Kwasaki

Mate gave me some recent bike mags from the UK, it was very interesting to read about the Rossi-Moaner crash, seems Rossi kept his hand on the throttle keeping the engine going, Moaners engine stopped, the reason it wouldnt start easily was the slipper clutch, as you can imagine, pushing the bike to start it only gives about 25% through the slipper clutch, Seems Honda has rectified this now, How? no idea, perhaps a low speed centrifugal device? anybody know?

Yeah, HRC secrets,,

Reminds me years ago when i was into touring Europe, i bought a new Kawasaki GTR1000, collected it from dealer and was back an hour later, there seemed to be something strange with the clutch lever, as soon as you went off throttle, the clutch lever would come in 1/2 inch or so, I thought the clutch basket was loose, Dealer didnt have workshop manuals so they said keep riding and will contact you when we have manuls, a few days later they asked me to bring bike in, showed me paragraph in manual, it said, when you release throttle, the clutch will slip a bit to stop the snatch of the shaft drive, which is more positive than chain drive bikes,

Perhaps the first of the slipper clutch road bikes? it was never a problem in 50k miles, so i dont know how it worked..

I see many modern sportsbikes have slipper clutches, no problem with electric start, or even kickstart perhaps,

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/motogpcurrentdeal.html

This read explains all about slipper clutches, the very last paragraph is most interesting, seems like a slipper clutch has some of the vitues of a lock-up tourque converter in an auto car..

Yes, I got malaria in Thailand, haven't been anywhere else lately, my tongue was more yellow than blue or pink, one great bonus I seem to have lost about 8 kilos.

Seems like the SBK is in a year of transition almost, one of the most surprising omissions form the grid for mine is that Italian Yamaha. For years they have supported this class, presumably also marketing and selling their aftermarket frames, chassis etc etc. I remember a mate of mine bought a Belgarda Yamaha single in the 90s, he's still got it, its a beautiful thing to ride. I recall a few Ducati Bimotas that were pretty smick too. I guess the slowdown maybe affected them.

Honda seem like they are pretty serious, moving Aoyama over, Suzuki with Hopkins also (and no GP effort to strain resources). Add in the BMWs and the Aprilia and all in all should be a championship where there will be many race winners and challengers. Hard to go past the Ducati though. Maybe consistency will get it through again. Here is a photo of abovementioned bike albeit not candy apple red like my mate's.

post-87221-0-38440800-1327716384_thumb.j

Edited by Bluetongue

Yes, I got malaria in Thailand, haven't been anywhere else lately, my tongue was more yellow than blue or pink, one great bonus I seem to have lost about 8 kilos.

Seems like the SBK is in a year of transition almost, one of the most surprising omissions form the grid for mine is that Italian Yamaha. For years they have supported this class, presumably also marketing and selling their aftermarket frames, chassis etc etc. I remember a mate of mine bought a Belgarda Yamaha single in the 90s, he's still got it, its a beautiful thing to ride. I recall a few Ducati Bimotas that were pretty smick too. I guess the slowdown maybe affected them.

Honda seem like they are pretty serious, moving Aoyama over, Suzuki with Hopkins also (and no GP effort to strain resources). Add in the BMWs and the Aprilia and all in all should be a championship where there will be many race winners and challengers. Hard to go past the Ducati though. Maybe consistency will get it through again. Here is a photo of abovementioned bike albeit not candy apple red like my mate's.

I see you like the old type of bikes, Triton was my favorite, took all the pocket money.

I was reading up on IOM and some on here like the TT too.

This may have been on here already but it's a good read for those who haven't read about it.

http://www.popsci.co...tric-motorcycle

Michael Rutter did nearly a 1er ( 160 km/h ) on circuit average speed not bad when you think a 1000cc average is 131mph.

post-87530-0-78815600-1328008466_thumb.j

Edited by Kwasaki

I thought I'd keep it up the top. 26th Feb start & 8th of April seems a way off.

This was funny a friend of mine who use to race didn't have a license for the road either and didn't want one, he would say it would be a waste of time because I'd probably be ban the first day.

Jorge Lorenzo surprised the social networks by announcing he had just passed the theory exam for his motorcycle driver's license several weeks ago, and the 2010 MotoGP World Champion is now preparing for the applied portion of the test that will allow him to legally ride the streets on two wheels.

Ezz moaning again but to be fair the weight decision should have been made sooner.

Interviewer :-

Do you notice the 4kg difference between the bike used at Sepang and that used at Valencia?

Stoner "Yes, and it is rather frustrating. We already had the bike developed and then they decided to change the regulations, so we had to add 4kg to the weight of our bike. This is a disadvantage for us, because the bike was already developed with a specific weight in mind, and now we have to add more. This affects the bike. It isn’t something that you notice much in your general riding, but unfortunately you do feel it quite a bit mid-corner. We have to try to adapt a little more and overcome this, but it is disappointing that the decision was made so late on."

Ride to live, K

Although i cant find anything on the Net , im pretty sure Ron Haslam was the same, he never had a bike license either, but had to do it before he opened his racing school, some kind of competency test required?

Colin Edwards is doing well, heres a report from Crash .net,

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/176542/1/edwards_upbeat_after_head-to-head_crt_motogp_test.html

Valencia testing, this is someting ive been waiting for, specially Moto 3, seems KTM are top so far, Scott Redding is under the lap record in Moto 2, but what i would really like to see in Moto2 is any engine, not just honda, although the series is good close racing, i dont think it will sell bikes, [or perhaps its not meant to?] compared to Moto 1 and 3 , and of course WSB, and WSS, which for me are complete package manufacuters bikes, question is, do any of you think Moto 2 will allow other make engines in the future, agreed the rider and the frame are the principle items in the present series, but it would be good to allow other engines and 675cc triples into the series,

The way i relate to bike racing is like Tom Sykes, Kawasaki, Rossi, Ducati, Moaner, Honda and so on, Scott Redding, Suter, mmm, good rider ect, but it doesnt ring bells for me..

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2012/Moto3+test+valencia+thursday

Cheers, Lickey.

Edited by Lickey

• 2 weeks later...

Well its almost here. The SBK that is. I saw the test times from Phillip Island last weekend. Tom Sykes Kwaka was fastest followed by Chubby Checa Ducati a smidgin behind. Then I think Guintoli Ducati and Camier Suzuki. Mad Max Aprilia was 5th and Marco BMW was 6th. Couldn't see John Hopkins but noticed Joshimura Brookes on a Suzuki way down, maybe he's subbing for him.

if it rains Tom Sykes would be a good bet, one of my mates rang me and said the Ducati got a weight penalty, thats pretty interesting seeing as it was off the pace in a straight line last year.

Phillip Island is due to start in 30 mins (Sunday 7:30am Thai time).

Superpole was cancelled due to a death in the local superstock 600 race just prior.

This means QP2 times count, Tom Sykes pole, Biaggi second, Checa is 3rd. Dont know what the weather is doing but Checa is more than half a second quicker in morning warm up. his consistently fast lap times this weekend make him the favourite and I will tip him for at least one win.

This Kawasaki looks like an improved oufit and effort this year so I will tip them for one win also either Sykes or Lascorz.

Broc Parkes to win the WSS from Jules Cluzel, (the 2 Moto 2 rejects Cluzel and Superglue doing well)

Im pretty sure we can see a pattern developing already, namely Ducati & Aprilla, Checa and Biaggi, both so fast, 6ks extra on the Duke or not, and Max coming from last in race 2 to 2nd, amazing, Max doing 327k [203mph] although he didnt pass Sykes on the straight,

Most improved bike, Kawasaki,

Best team rider, Melandri, he really got Haslam fired up for race 2 .

Best rider, Gotta be Max for his race 2 effort,

click this link to see the JPS Norton rotaries overtaking at Snetterton, same what Max was doing today,

• Like 1

Ducati should be pretty cool about it, they did actually win a race and you can sort of buy that bike but it'll cost you a lot more than a Kwaka especially to get it going. Honda would be disappointed though after all the Kwaka is more competition to them. Then again Yamaha have withdrawn completely so go figure.

I think you're right about the pattern developing and you will see the Ducati struggle at Imola next round for instance with the long straights. I dont know Carlos top speed for the whole weekend but one lap I saw him 299k down the straight thats a lot to make up in the corners. But after the size of the crash he had in race 1 maybe he slowed his entry speed a bit, you couldn't blame him could you. For me it was the Carlos and Max show dont write Melandri off yet though.

I completely missed these races. I wasn't expecting the season to start so early so never checked the dates, doh!!

Will have to wait a month now until Qatar, with WSBK a week later.

I promise to do better, sir.

From what i remeber from the score sheets, [think was WSBK site] it makes some good reading, seems only avaiable on the day or for 24 hrs? on the site, click Results, Statistics, gives you all top speeds laps in Q1/Q2 warm-up and race times, from memory, Checa 311ks Rea 315ks Sykes 319ks Biaggi 325ks,

Soihok, other way round mate, next WSB is Imola 1st April, then Moto Gp 8th April Quatar,

OK Lickey just watched the Snetterton thing too, the all black Nortons blowing the opposition into the weeds, presumably they finished one two? Great stuff.

Must admit never heard of rotary Norton. I used to love those all in anything goes races though.

OK Lickey just watched the Snetterton thing too, the all black Nortons blowing the opposition into the weeds, presumably they finished one two? Great stuff.

Must admit never heard of rotary Norton. I used to love those all in anything goes races though.

post-87530-0-85428300-1331394463_thumb.j Norton RCW588

Edited by Kwasaki

Hi Bluetongue, yes, the Norton Rotories were the THE bikes of the late 80s early 90s, and it was a 1 2 at Snetterton, the following link will give all the details, http://www.jpsnorton.com/results.asp

Did anybody see the WSS from OZ tonight on 109 Star sports, only Hi-lights but a cracking race, Kawasaki 1 2 ,

I downloaded and watched great racing, Max was excellent, I have him marked for champion this 2012, inline 4 Kawa's eat tyres, more than twins and V4 so it's a problem, Tom did bloody great, hope they can find a tyre for him.

BTW I used to loved Snetterton but only going anti-clockwise.clap2.gif

Yes Kwasaki, Snetterton could have been interesting with a reverse direction days racing, the ony one on the calendar i marshalled at was The Hutch 100 at Brands, Bemsee Cub, dont know if they still do it, used to atract a lot of big names.

I thought Kawasaki had got the traction problems fairly well sorted at OZ, seems Ten Kate Honda has got some work to do going by race 2 results,

Anybody watching the 2011 TT races on 109 star sports, nice of star to do this while we wait for Imola,its probaly on in the daytime, i watch it 11.30 pm..

Edited by Lickey

I completely missed these races. I wasn't expecting the season to start so early so never checked the dates, doh!!

I downloaded and watched from http://torrent.eu/ well worth it.

Yes Kwasaki, Snetterton could have been interesting with a reverse direction days racing.

I thought Kawasaki had got the traction problems fairly well sorted at OZ,

Anybody watching the 2011 TT races on 109 star sports, nice of star to do this while we wait for Imola,its probaly on in the daytime, i watch it 11.30 pm..

Track sessions at anti-clockwise Mallory park oval track was good, I like left handers, something to do with me protecting my righthand side because I'm righthanded, so I was told.

Kawasaki had got the traction problems sorted, maybe but tyres will still be an issue.

Can't get anything on PSI now I download, downloaded a TT documentary film there's a great character in it, " closer to the edge " well worth a look, never seen such a spectacular crash like it on camera, the guy lived so he certainly had someone looking over his shoulder.

" soihok " maybe good for Ducati they won't be strapped for cash but business is business so I hope they stay in MotoGP.

Edited by Kwasaki