Pickups Best To Buy And Best Service In Your Opinion

petercallen

I like the XLT model i drove, the 2 demo models at the dealer

have no tray linner or roll bar, all the advertising material shows

the XLT equiped with these, it could be ford has run out of them

and sent the demos out without them, although i could not clarify

that with the salesman because of language differences

The LSD i can live without and the XLT is a better looking vehicle

than the Wildtrak with all its black plastic in my opinion.

It costs 799000 baht plus 11350 baht registration and transport

charges and has free first class insurance

I will pay cash and sell the Vious privately as the price the dealer

offered is very low and i know i can do better selling below the price the

used car dealer will sell it for

to manage 799k baht, they decided to drop stainless rollbar and bedliner. Bedliner is a must at 5400baht, a much nicer rollbar in dual 3inch pipes is 8k baht

Used Vios sell like hot bread, so wouldnt worry

Go for it Petercowboy.gif

The Ford Ranger 2.2 XLT @ 799K has a poorer interior and less power compared to the 2.8 Chevy Colorado LTZ @ 794K. Can anyone explain why the ford would be a better option? It looks pretty crap to me.

Only 2 pickups available in Th score 5 stars in crash tests, Ford Ranger and Mazda BT50. only one more scores 5 star, VW Amarok.

The outgoing Colorado is at the bottom of US real world crash stats, and its sibling DMax totally collapses in Euro NPCAP crashes with engine splitting drivers balls. AD its totally dated brakes with 3 sensor ABS. Until new Colorado proves otherwise, I wouldnt want to drive it

I have tryed to purchase 2 Chevy in Phuket, failed each time due to salesdepartment bullshit. They wouldnt even honor a nationwide newspaper campaign. Wont try again

Chevy is a new brand in TH, so far they have been marketing rebadged Izusus and Daewoo and Opel Zafira. Extreme maintance costs have been reported, Colorado owners could solve it by visiting Izu garages, the rest are stuck

IMHO they still have a long way to go to be accepted by TH consumers

ad poor resale value

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to put in a good word for the Mitsubishi Triton. I bought a 4 wheel drive 4 door model in 2007 and have had no problems with it. It has great power and decent economy. You either like the styling or you don't (I do), but in my experience you could't ask for a more reliable vehicle. I like this diesel well enough to have considered the practicality of installing it in a boat.

I like the Tritons shape its easy to have serviced in Phuket

I am thinking more about when you do long distance trips and the available dealers then

I will be buying a 4 door but not necessary a 4x4 i do not think you need it here

2 wheel drive with a limited slip diff will go anywhere i have driven here

i have my second triton,the first did 100k in 3 years,never a problem,services are good,you can watch them do it.i would recommend triton but i must say,avoid black.it shows every small scratch

Do automatic Toyota Vigo's have a cruise control option?

How have they done in crash tests?

vigo 3,0d4d auto G comes with stock cruise

most other vigo3,0, cruise can be installed for a couple of thousand baht as its all there except the switch

Euro NPCAP, 4 stars with 2 airbags, not bad for a 2004 launched vehicle

Put deposit on windtrack got free wind tinting and floor mats and 10000B discount

Delivery now April, was march 3 days ago

Expensive floor mats Peter. Congratulations with your buy BTW.

Edited by stevenl

Only 2 pickups available in Th score 5 stars in crash tests, Ford Ranger and Mazda BT50. only one more scores 5 star, VW Amarok.

The outgoing Colorado is at the bottom of US real world crash stats, and its sibling DMax totally collapses in Euro NPCAP crashes with engine splitting drivers balls. AD its totally dated brakes with 3 sensor ABS. Until new Colorado proves otherwise, I wouldnt want to drive it

I have tryed to purchase 2 Chevy in Phuket, failed each time due to salesdepartment bullshit. They wouldnt even honor a nationwide newspaper campaign. Wont try again

Chevy is a new brand in TH, so far they have been marketing rebadged Izusus and Daewoo and Opel Zafira. Extreme maintance costs have been reported, Colorado owners could solve it by visiting Izu garages, the rest are stuck

ad poor resale value

But everything you have just quoted is for the old model Colorado so none of it it's applicable. The new Colorado is said to be a 100% new design from floor up.

Ford and Chevy will both have poor resales values...so not sure how that makes a difference either

What I really wanted to know is what would make the 2012 Ford Ranger a better buy that the 2012 Chevy Colorado given that the Ford has a poorer interior spec, engine and costs more.

Just to add I think the new Colorado brakes with EBD (electronic brake control). TRC (traction control). 4 point ABS, ESC (electronic stability control), PBA (panic brake assist), CBC (cornering brake control), HBA (hydraulic brake assist) and HBFA (hydraulic brake fade assist) actually trumps the Ford as well.

ad poor resale value

But everything you have just quoted is for the old model Colorado so none of it it's applicable. The new Colorado is said to be a 100% new design from floor up.

Ford and Chevy will both have poor resales values...so not sure how that makes a difference either

What I really wanted to know is what would make the 2012 Ford Ranger a better buy that the 2012 Chevy Colorado given that the Ford has a poorer interior spec, engine and costs more.

Just to add I think the new Colorado brakes with EBD (electronic brake control). TRC (traction control). 4 point ABS, ESC (electronic stability control), PBA (panic brake assist), CBC (cornering brake control), HBA (hydraulic brake assist) and HBFA (hydraulic brake fade assist) actually trumps the Ford as well.

Dose anyne really need all those exotic extras,most of those items are cleverly worded gimmics,some drivers... will be baffled by them,...prably would need extra driving tuition on how to use them..these are pick ups not.. F1 CARS....

ad poor resale value

Dose anyne really need all those exotic extras,most of those items are cleverly worded gimmics,some drivers... will be baffled by them,...prably would need extra driving tuition on how to use them..these are pick ups not.. F1 CARS....

well thing is they are there to compensate for lousy drivers, none of them are noticed until you fail

EBD is electronic brake distribution, simply senses how much braking power rearwheels can handle, depending on load

2012 Colorado 4x4 has a 2 sensor ABS according to last spec I read, so still dated. at least brakes size are now on par with competition. But until I see some brake tests and crash tests, I am not convinced about product, and as said Chev Th has a long way to go before they would get my money

and for the record. I am not a ford or mazda fan, I just find their highend pickups the best buys in TH at the moment

ad poor resale value

well thing is they are there to compensate for lousy drivers, none of them are noticed until you fail

Do you class being in an emergency situation as being a lousy driver?

In the UK I worked for Toyota and it was customary for them to take us to test tracks and be shown exactly how these technologies can save your life in an emergency. VSC for example makes it almost impossible to spin your car were you to enter a corner too fast or hit ice or oil. Of course most drivers wont experience it but if it saves your life and/or families life in an emergency would it have been worth investing in that "gimic"?

vsc3.jpg

vsc2.jpg

vsc1.jpg

I am all for safety,safe driving is a priority,i have driven in all sorts of coditions etc and been taught by experts...but i still say that the ordinary driver driving with all these extras needs training,just like you had.. Peterocket, whos going to pay os do this?

DRIVE,CAREFULLY AND SAFELY,ESPECIALLY HERE IN PHUKET[whatever Pick up you drive]

In the UK I worked for Toyota and it was customary for them to take us to test tracks and be shown exactly how these technologies can save your life in an emergency. VSC for example makes it almost impossible to spin your car were you to enter a corner too fast or hit ice or oil. Of course most drivers wont experience it but if it saves your life and/or families life in an emergency would it have been worth investing in that "gimic"?

a driver brings himself into an emergency situation, usually by going faster than his skills.

I am all for VSC/ESC/ESP as orginally called when developed by Bosch, and all other aids to compensate for drivers errors. But going really fast I need to switch it off. As an ex rally driver and factory test driver. and I have been driving cars with this aid for 15 years

there is one feature I really dislike tho, PBA (panic brake assist). As all above features developed by Bosch/Benz. One realised most drivers did not apply full brake force, which is needed to stop a ABS car in shortest possibel distance. So when brakes sense driver panic braking, full braking power is applied. However I sometimes apply full braking power for a split second to get vehicle out of balance to create a oversteer, getting me faster through a bend. But as said for the average driver its a great aid to compensate for lack of braking skills. I just miss an off switch

Have you ever thought of why rally cars do not have any of above features? Cause the drivers are still bettercowboy.gif

and we are going off topic by discussing pickup features, done every day in Motoring Forum. This was about buying pickup in Phuket

If you plan to keep it less than 4 years go for Vigo or Isuzu. If you plan to keep long term go for the Ford. Cheaper to keep and better vehicle. My first one had 400,000 kms when I sold it after 5 years without any repairs.

a driver brings himself into an emergency situation, usually by going faster than his skills.

I am all for VSC/ESC/ESP as orginally called when developed by Bosch, and all other aids to compensate for drivers errors. But going really fast I need to switch it off. As an ex rally driver and factory test driver. and I have been driving cars with this aid for 15 years

there is one feature I really dislike tho, PBA (panic brake assist). As all above features developed by Bosch/Benz. One realised most drivers did not apply full brake force, which is needed to stop a ABS car in shortest possibel distance. So when brakes sense driver panic braking, full braking power is applied. However I sometimes apply full braking power for a split second to get vehicle out of balance to create a oversteer, getting me faster through a bend. But as said for the average driver its a great aid to compensate for lack of braking skills. I just miss an off switch

Have you ever thought of why rally cars do not have any of above features? Cause the drivers are still bettercowboy.gif

and we are going off topic by discussing pickup features, done every day in Motoring Forum. This was about buying pickup in Phuket

The only times i needed ABS was when some other idiot did something wrong and i had to do a emergency stop

Normal stops they work the same as normal brakes, where do driving skills come into it

The only times i needed ABS was when some other idiot did something wrong and i had to do a emergency stop

Normal stops they work the same as normal brakes, where do driving skills come into it

That means you were to close, or not not look far enough ahead or anticipated other behaviour when they cut in front of you, etc.

1st to 3rd gen ABS, a driver could pulse the pedal faster than electronics, thus keep steering and reduce braking distance. I learned to drive on ice and snow long before benz/bosch started developing ABS, and later worked developing ABS for differenet car models to perform on par with good drivers

Only past 15 years with gen5 ABS, not used in any Th pickup or low end car, have ABS provided shorter braking distance than my feet can.

On track bikes and cars, all disconnect ABS as drivers are still better. Drivers skills

a friend has been making ambulances out of 2011 Dmax and older. Most drivers disconnect the gen 1-2 ABS as they get shorter brakingdistance on all surfaces. this in a country where roads are covered by snow and ice 4-6 months a year. Drivers skills

ABS simply does what we did decades before they existed, release the brakes as often as your foot is able to. For most drivers this is to advanced braking tech, making ABS a great safety feature

a skilled driver will each time an emergency slow down or stop is needed, consider how to apply brakes. deep snow and gravel, locked wheels to build up a wall in front of wheels barking vehicle. Smooth slippery surface, puls as ABS to maintain steering. Dry surface no pulse until steering is needed

Most are better off with ABS electronics replacing drivers skills. Including me when I am not alert as in every day ordinary driving. In Ninja and car and pickup.

and PC if your ABS has kicked in only once, it tells me you are a very slow and carefull driver, which is excellent. But it also tells me you should get some practice in braking for the one single incident you really need to stop

My ABS tick almost every day. If I drive someone else car or a car or bike I havent used for 2 weeks, ABS will have ticked in within 10 minutes. I use them to measure traction. Makes me prepared.

That means you were to close, or not not look far enough ahead or anticipated other behaviour when they cut in front of you, etc.

No, it means i left a safe braking distance and someone passed illegally and pulled into the gap them everyone applied there brakes and i no longer had a safe breaking distance left between me and the idiot in front

No, it means i left a safe braking distance and someone passed illegally and pulled into the gap them everyone applied there brakes and i no longer had a safe breaking distance left between me and the idiot in front

I find it almost impossibel to keep a safe stoppingdistance at 3seconds in TH. Unless i go faster than the flow, there will always be someone filling in the gap within a minute. At highways I do go faster than the flow, and thus can decide safety distance

The more important it is to have excellent tyres and practice daily on braking

• Like 1

Put deposit on windtrack got free wind tinting and floor mats and 10000B discount

congrats

what made you move up from XLT? exterior looks or leather, cruise and LSD?

Mrs prefers the looks, i like the LSD, cruise i had before and never used although

it could be handy on a long trip with not much traffic, the sporty look will make it

attractive to more buyers when we eventually sell it

I like the steering wheel audio controls i have had them before

It has a tray liner and roll bar

The added features are well worth the extra money

congrats

Mrs prefers the looks, i like the LSD, cruise i had before and never used although

it could be handy on a long trip with not much traffic, the sporty look will make it

did you consider moving up another 120k baht to top model Mazda BT50? In addition to above you get 3,2 liter with 30-40% more power, 4x4, all active safety electronics,4 reverse sensors and IMO a nicer interior

I ordered one last Friday. Great deal. Songkran delivery

price goes up 10k baht on Wednesday February 1st, some of the freebies may disappear too

did you consider moving up another 120k baht to top model Mazda BT50? In addition to above you get 3,2 liter with 30-40% more power, 4x4, all active safety electronics,4 reverse sensors and IMO a nicer interior

price goes up 10k baht on Wednesday February 1st, some of the freebies may disappear too

Been driving 4x4 for over 50 years since land rovers, jeeps and ex army blitz trucks were the only ones available

Never been anywhere here where is was necessary to use 4x4 here,, in a 2 year trip around Australia used 4x4

about 5 times on sandy beaches and sand hill country, the high clearance and LSD will handle all

driving conditions here without the added cost and extra maintenance of a 4x4 in my opinion

Tried the 2.2 demo and it has all the power i need and is more economical than the bigger engine

1st to 3rd gen ABS, a driver could pulse the pedal faster than electronics, thus keep steering and reduce braking distance. I learned to drive on ice and snow long before benz/bosch started developing ABS, and later worked developing ABS for differenet car models to perform on par with good drivers

Only past 15 years with gen5 ABS, not used in any Th pickup or low end car, have ABS provided shorter braking distance than my feet can.

On track bikes and cars, all disconnect ABS as drivers are still better. Drivers skills

a friend has been making ambulances out of 2011 Dmax and older. Most drivers disconnect the gen 1-2 ABS as they get shorter brakingdistance on all surfaces. this in a country where roads are covered by snow and ice 4-6 months a year. Drivers skills

ABS simply does what we did decades before they existed, release the brakes as often as your foot is able to. For most drivers this is to advanced braking tech, making ABS a great safety feature

a skilled driver will each time an emergency slow down or stop is needed, consider how to apply brakes. deep snow and gravel, locked wheels to build up a wall in front of wheels barking vehicle. Smooth slippery surface, puls as ABS to maintain steering. Dry surface no pulse until steering is needed

Most are better off with ABS electronics replacing drivers skills. Including me when I am not alert as in every day ordinary driving. In Ninja and car and pickup.

and PC if your ABS has kicked in only once, it tells me you are a very slow and carefull driver, which is excellent. But it also tells me you should get some practice in braking for the one single incident you really need to stop

My ABS tick almost every day. If I drive someone else car or a car or bike I havent used for 2 weeks, ABS will have ticked in within 10 minutes. I use them to measure traction. Makes me prepared.

Yes there is a world...no... rather a galaxie between skills of different drivers. I make no claims at being a good driver but I did start hauling logs in Washington at age seventeen. Kieth Cordes and I were the first real ice drivers hauling massive equipment as far as 26 miles out onto the frozen Arctic Ocean. I also drove double semi-end dumps on the ice while we built man made islands for drill rigs on ice one -three meters thick. I drove what used to be the worlds largest dump truck (at the time) on the Libby Dam project. No expert certainly but I do know a little about stopping abilities and I have no use for ABS usually and concur with the bum from the beach. A couple photos... a 35 yard belly dump hauling more like 60 cubic yards out on the ice, my first log truck, and a 100 ton KW Dart. Some of these rigs take about 2.3 years to bring to a full stop while reading traffic a half mile ahead. Here even taking your eyes off the road to glance at some beauty can cost dearly. The last is a sow that I could and did haul two bare (no blade or ripper) D-8K's side by side on the bed.

post-49171-0-24164200-1327916626_thumb.j

post-49171-0-31811600-1327916664_thumb.j

post-49171-0-45564900-1327916806_thumb.j

post-49171-0-71969900-1327916861_thumb.j

Edited by bunta71

congrats

Had a look at the new Mazda on the Internet its like the Triton you will either love it or hate it

Prefer the ford Wildtrack any day, which i thought you were going to buy, longer waiting time

thats all

Had a look at the new Mazda on the Internet its like the Triton you will either love it or hate it

Prefer the ford Wildtrack any day, which i thought you were going to buy, longer waiting time

thats all

I still have a deposit on a WT 3,2, and they are scheduled to be here same time. However they differ approx 250k baht including the tax rebate scheme valid for BT50, and my reason for getting WT 3,2 was engine, 4x4 and spec, not all the plastics,rollbar and roof rails. In Bt 50 I get exactly what I want at 250k baht less. This info became available during Mazdas press release January 24th

when I first saw BT50 in internet months back, I laughed. In reality I find the looks great

anyone want to take over my 5k Ford deposit to jump que, can PM me

Thanks for the kind words Barka. We did some ice racing in Fairbanks Alaska, both with bikes and cars. On bikes we used wood screws for studs. Off topic though...

Love the photo of your first log truck

slippery ice, I was working as a travelling salesman north of the artic circle, well far north of it, 1982. Pulled over to take a piss, windy and icy roads, my 1978 Lancia was shod with the best to get, finish Hakkapeliita studded of course. Admiring her new white pearl paint and the beautiful light when the sun apears for a brief hour for the first time in a couple of months late January. It was a very windy day, well thats storm in US english, and while completing my piss she starts sailing away. Only parking brakes where on, engine still running, and she just sailed down the road with blocked rearwheels. As I said the ice was slippery